Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*grin* Took the trash out a few minutes ago and had to get right up on the dumpster as it's overflowing. Someone is evidently moving out.

As I get close I sort of scan the dumpster, not wanting to disturb a raccoon and possibly have one jump out at me. Then as I toss the bag in something I had seen on the scan flicked a switch in my head. Yeppers, a piece of what looks like police issue duty gear.

Specifically a Safariland 77 dual mag pouch for Glock 17, 22. So I cart it back upstairs and discover that my PT145 mags fit in nicely.

Pouch is that gloss black so many LEO's carry. The snaps show a slight scuff and the belt loop is barely imprinted. It appears to have been worn possible once. On the back is 77 (model number), under Safariland stamped in the back is 3798. All in all, a good trip to the dumpster. *grin*

Looks like this:
618KfqfQ2KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sarge

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice find Sarge! There's been a few times I've found something worthwhile and saved it from the dump but those times are few and far between

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I bet you don't mind taking the trash out now

·
Registered
31,761 Posts
Well sarge, some days you feast.....other days it's feathers! Nice recovery. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Good find Sarge... Also I never run into anything worth pulling out of a dumpster but if I did I would not hesitate.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've dived a few dumpsters in my time!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
OMG! A trash pickin dumpster diver! Good eye Sarge. I found my reloading table the same way. "One mans trash is another mans treasure".

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Nice find, I haven't been able to find any good stuff that has been thrown out since I left military housing. There people often threw good stuff out instead of moving it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I used to work at a car wash. You would be surprised...and apalled at what one finds in the dumpsters and trash cans.

I have found lots of one dollar bills and a few fives, even a twenty once. People always left change on top of the coin acceptors. One time I looked in back where the vaccuums were and there was this jar of mixed change. I took it inside and waited 2 days to see if it would get claimed, then I took it home and counted it. Would you believe...FITTY bucks!! :eek:

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I used to work at a car wash. You would be surprised...and apalled at what one finds in the dumpsters and trash cans.

I have found lots of one dollar bills and a few fives, even a twenty once. People always left change on top of the coin acceptors. One time I looked in back where the vaccuums were and there was this jar of mixed change. I took it inside and waited 2 days to see if it would get claimed, then I took it home and counted it. Would you believe...FITTY bucks!! :eek:
I used to work at a gas station with a car wash on site, and every week i would clean out the vacuums just to see what i could find. On a slow week i would pick up about $20 in miscellaneous change. My best week i found $130 total with 3 heavy days of wash & vac use. No idea what i spent it on, wasn't old enough to buy guns yet, so it was probably video games and pizza.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wow, can't beat that deal! I love Safariland products -- very good quality for the money. Besides, it also gives others a heads up if they are looking for something similar for their PT145 at a good price -- or even free! :D

·
Super Moderator
35,703 Posts
Nice catch! I'm usually scanning curbs on trash day to see what's free.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Sure hope you dug around some incase the rest of the rig was there.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Good find, Sarge! There's reasons people drive around lookin' on trash night. I'll never forget when I was renovating a house years ago. I pulled a cast iron claw foot bathtub out of the basement and I set it out on the curb 'cause I knew somebody would pick it up. Sure enough a van showed up not long after dark, and a great big old boy jumped out with his partner keeping the engine running. I don't know why he did it like that - acted more like he was stealing than trash pickin'. Funny thing was that tub must have weighed 300 pounds, and it was rounded on the ends. He managed to get it up on it's end, and he tried 'walking' it back to the truck. Problem was it was just turning on a point. And all the while he was moving like his hair was on fire and his ass was catching. After three or four minutes of not being able to move it very far, his buddy finally got out and gave him a hand. I guess he thought he was just going to jump out and snap it up before anyone saw him. I was standing in the doorway watching him the whole time and laughing my ass off. :D

·
Administrator
39,488 Posts
Back when I lived in town, a neighbor across the alley always left his girly magazines on top of the pile in the dumpster. I guess his wife didn't approve.

I damned sure did! :D

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The wife and I used to go driving around town on "clean up days" checking what people had put out on the curb to get rid of back when gas was under 50¢ a gallon! We even found a few goodies.

Since moving up here our trash picking is limited to when we haul the garbage to the dump. We have found an antique planter in good condition, a nearly new adjustable aluminum cane and a like new folding aluminum walker. Do yousuppose somebody is trying to tell me something? :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts