Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Edit: The title should read Without instead of with, gotta love specll check! Mods if you would change it I would appreciate it! :)

For all our members north of the Red River. My wife, no CHL, will be taking a trip and about 90 miles or so will be in Oklahoma. My understanding of Oklahoma law is that she can have it in a case, the black plastic cases Tauri come in for example, which is either fully or partially exposed as long as it is unloaded. She will be in a pickup so locking it in the trunk isn't an option.

In Texas she is fine, as long as it is concealed in the vehicle and she isn't committing a felony or a member of a street gang that is! :) So her plan would be to unload it and put it in the case before crossing the state line.

And to head off the "she needs a chl" comments. She wont do it, shes too cheap, she mostly travels in Texas and doesn't see spending $200+ to get one when all is said and done!

My research into Oklahoma laws says this would be good, I am curious to here from Oklahomans on the topic to see if I was off base.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Before I got my CCW I when I would go to the range I would put the gun lock on my weapon and place it in a gun case. Now the gun case has to be partially visible.
TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks kinggabby, that was what I understood as well.

She was going to get her CHL a few months ago and we wouldn't have this problem, We even decided on what I was going to buy her. But when she saw what the CHL cost, she decided not to do it right now.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks kinggabby, that was what I understood as well.

She was going to get her CHL a few months ago and we wouldn't have this problem, We even decided on what I was going to buy her. But when she saw what the CHL cost, she decided not to do it right now.
At least in Oklahoma you can take the class and if you want to wait til later to do the paperwork you can even if you want to wait for a couple of years or so. The certificate from the class from my understanding does not expire. I don't know how it is in Texas.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least in Oklahoma you can take the class and if you want to wait til later to do the paperwork you can even if you want to wait for a couple of years or so. The certificate from the class from my understanding does not expire. I don't know how it is in Texas.
Yeah its the whole cost for her thats the problem. The class is around $75 and the state fee is $140, so $215 total. We don't always agree on what is "worth the money". Example. This weekend I just saw a Raging Judge Magnum with a 6.5 in barrel... I definitely thought it was worth the money... She, not so much... :D

I think the class certification lasts a while here too, not sure how long though.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yeah its the whole cost for her thats the problem. The class is around $75 and the state fee is $140, so $215 total. We don't always agree on what is "worth the money". Example. This weekend I just saw a Raging Judge Magnum with a 6.5 in barrel... I definitely thought it was worth the money... She, not so much... :D

I think the class certification lasts a while here too, not sure how long though.
I have to agree with her on that one for the moment LoL. Not a Judge fan. For that $215 when would it expire? Here almost $300 is good for 10 years.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to agree with her on that one for the moment LoL. Not a Judge fan. For that $215 when would it expire? Here almost $300 is good for 10 years.
4 years for a first pass, then after you renew 5 years.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should also state It's something like $140 or so to renew, with $70 going to the state and $70 or so for the class depending on where you take it.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have to retake a class every time you renew? Here ( for now ) you just renew.
Yup, you have to take a renewal class. I'm not a fan of it either...

·
Registered
53 Posts
New member, first post. Have a 462 ordered from the BX at Little Rock AFB ($345). Will be my second Rossi. I guess I'll sell my M68 that I bought new in 1983. It's been a good little shooter, but I've always wanted a 357. Great site you guys have here.

You probably already know this, but for a good view of each state's gun/CC laws, as well as reciprocity see: handgunlaw.us

Jim

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I should also state It's something like $140 or so to renew, with $70 going to the state and $70 or so for the class depending on where you take it.
The renewal class is not as long as the initial class. It gets cheaper when you become a senior citizen.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts