Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some may remember that I do my loading on a Lee Pro1000 press and have been for a long time. I use the press the way it was designed with Sizing in station 1, Priming, Flaring and powder drop in 2 and Seating/Crimping in 3. Done

Well recently I added a new Auto Breech Lock Pro press because of my 45acp Witness and the need for the FCD. I set it all up and ran a couple hundred loads thru it w/o using the Case feeder and it went pretty well other than the priming part. First of all I haven't gotten the Safety Primes set just right yet and still drop primers. Secondly having used the Pro1000 for so long with the priming fed automatically I find I keep forgetting to place a primer in the cup with the Safety Prime at the top of each stroke. So then I have to hand drop one in on the way down so I don't double charge the last powder drop. Why I cannot make the simple change and remember the primer I don't know.

Now this past week I also added a RCBS Bullet Feed die into the mix for the 9mm rounds so the setup is like this; 1. Size/de-prime , 2. Prime , flare, powder charge, 3. Bullet drop, 4. Seat/Crimp.

Well adding the Bullet Feed die has accomplished what I intended which wasn't to increase production rate but to ease placing the bullet as it is located at the rear of the press and therefore you have to reach around the press. Problem is that now that I am watching the feeder and making sure a bullet drops I am even more so forgetting to place the primer at the top of the stroke. So I may just remove the Safety Prime and just hand place primers.

I really do wish that Lee would have just completely upgraded the Pro1000 as is to a 4 hole turret!

Lastly, I am really liking this RCBS Bullet Feed die. Very simple design and it simply works which is more than I can say for the Hornady bullet feeder I tried. The tube it comes with will hold 30 9mm 115gr RN plated bullets and feeds them well until it gets down to the last 5 in the tube which I've also been given a tip for fixing this.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
glad its working out for you.
personally I started off with a single station, then got a turret, then got the faster is better bug and went with a progressive, then ended up back with a turret press.
they were green, orange, red depending on the press and time that i had them.
in the end I figured out that I was just happier with my turret press and my OCD that I have.
is all about what works for you.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Verdict is still out on which press I like better, they both have advantages and disadvantages. I know many absolutely hate the priming system on the Pro1000 though I enjoy it and trust it. So far more so than that of the Safety Primes, but that could be because I'm just not use to it yet. With the Pro1000 I have been using it for so long that I get into a nice steady pace and everything goes smoothly. With this new press I am still having to adjust and concentrate on my routine. Old habits can be hard to break! But trust me I am not going to set any speed records with this setup anytime soon.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
I have for a loooong time and still do prime with a hand primer.
I can do that while sitting in front of the TV and sipping a cold beer through a straw.
have better control of the process and no press jams--but again along comes the OCD.

·
Registered
15,137 Posts
I'm making a similar transition however the "new" dillons were far from new. I'm coming from a land of Lee Single stage and a Lee Turret. I have used other progressives in the past owned by other people so this is my first foray in solo operation of a progressive. It's slow to adapt even with a new press but used ones add in all sorts of other variables that have to be accounted for. It does mean checking each stage of each round as I learn the new system.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly right, I've gone from single stage to the Pro1000 to also a Lee 3 hole turret to now the Auto Breech Lock. The Auto Breech Lock I find is more a hybrid of the Turret Press and the Pro1000, using aspects from both.

When I started with the Pro1000 it took me a couple months to become well versed in it's use. Were many still today absolutely curse this press I actually love it. It's simple in design w/o a ton of adjustments and with just the 3 dies it is actually very fast if you can master the priming. I'm hoping I get to this point of confidence with this new progressive press.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I really thought that LEE's next progressive would use the Classic Turret as the base press. The new progressive is interesting but kinda looks like the linkage parts came from the Challenger. Haven't seen anything on it that appears to be Top-Dead-Center, but there are some things, other than the plastic parts, that I do like. It would make change-overs a bit easier since I don't have the RCBS Auto Charging system for each of my turrets. That would cost me a small fortune. The good part is that once you have the Auto Charging system set up, it's just essentially a matter of raising or lowering the A-C die for different handgun calibers.

I plan to continue monitoring reviews for the Auto Breech Lock press. For the $, it's not much of a risk. In my case, though, I run my Classic Turret a good bit differently than what LEE had in mind. I've done a press bypass for any of the plastic parts except that I do use the Safety Prime, but they have been altered as well.;)

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was expecting the next upgrade would be the Proo1000 with it to a 4 hole turret to eliminate the need for the three hole turret and a change to the base as they discoed all the diecast Red base parts and linkages and yes gone with something along the lines of the Classic Cast base. Still the Pro1000 and the new Breech Lock Pro seem to be geared towards more pistol reloading than bottleneck cases.

Now after using both the Pro1000 and the ABLP presses my impression has become this. If someone has never used a Pro1000 and is moving up from a Lee Turret press with the Safety Prime system then the ABLP is the way to go and should be pretty seamless. Going backwards from the priming on the Pro1000 to the Safety Prime does take some adjustment as I am still forgetting to prime at the top of the stroke and use the "Pez dispenser". The new habit just isn't there yet!

Comparing the two presses against each other I honestly believe the Pro1000 is faster in a heads up, set up the same race. That is also while using the on press priming solution. I personally like the all diecast metal shell plate carrier of the Pro1000 much better and I also like the old style case feeder arrangement. Also the idea of going to the breech lock bushings over the turrets I don't quite understand. The bushings are much more costly overall. Lastly I am one that has no issues with the primer feed on the Pro1000 and would actually prefer it over the Safety Prime.

Final thoughts for now. I bought this press because I needed a press with a fourth station for the FCD in 45acp. I hemmed and hawed a long time between this ABLP and the new upgraded model of the Value Turret press. I went with the ABLP thinking that I would eventually migrate everything to it from the Pro1000 and am now honestly thinking that was the wrong move. I only load about 200-250 rounds at a time of 45acp and can easily do that on a turret. For now I'm going to stick with the ABLP press and see if I can adjust

Reactions: 57K
1 - 8 of 8 Posts