Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a Handgun Defensive Training Class around me for the past several months. It's easy to find a CCDW class, but to find something that would be the next step in my area (West KY) has been difficult. The only classes I have even heard about around here are for law enforcement. I'm curious how many readers of this forum not associated with law enforcement have had additional training over and above the CCDW classes?

I am aware of front sight, thunder ranch, and other popular training camps that show up on the TV shows, but it is not possible for me to take off from work a week just to go train. Wish I could but just not possible. I do train with my brother who is a police officer, so I have had the benefit of his training but I would really like to have one on one training with a certified instructor. Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat?

Does anyone know of training opportunities near West KY?

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I have been to Front Sight and it was worth taking the time off. But I understand not being able to make the trip across the country. You might call around to some of the gun ranges around you or in some of the neighboring states to see if they offer anything. My local range offers some SD handgun training, but it is only like half a day. I still plan on taking it at some point since you can never learn too much IMO.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
The double edged sword we tend to weld too freely is advising folks to get addtional training.

The high profile schools one sees advertised in the media are "expensive". When you factor in the cost of the training ($300-$1,000+) plus the cost of travel, lodging, food and time off work. Most are out of the range of working America who may be struggling to keep a roof over their heads & food on the table.

But don't despair, aside from the great "one-on-one" couching by qualified instructors, the "basics" are the same. One can go to the NRA web site or many other internet options to find in print or video the "how-to" mechanics of shooting.

Youtube can be a treasure trove of good information on shooting principles if one steers clear of the "mall ninjas" who post junk.

Another asset is your local law enforcement officers. Don't be bashful to ask for information or assistance from their instructors. Many are willing to help "gratus" on the side. Our countie's Sheriff Depart offers free citizen classes about quarterly. The student provides their own guns and ammo, they provide the targest and instructors.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
"join the marines boy" John Wayne

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I was thinking about starting a similar post. I'll probably be taking a $300 8-hour course offered by a local indoor range here in NH, they have a good reputation. I'd recommend asking around such rental ranges, and perhaps also the typical membership fish & game clubs.

PS: I also have the distinct and perhaps unfair advantage of having both Lethal Force Institute and Sig Arms Academy here in the same state.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You for the replies. I will hope the on ein Paducah pans out. The rest are about 6 hours from me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts