Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I new to this site, and I hope this thread is placed into the proper discussions category, and further I hope I am not duplicating what has been discussed previously.

How many have attended firearms specific training such as Smith and Wesson's Springfield, Massachusetts, course or
maybe the renowned "Gunsite" in Arizona. I'm sure there are many others around the country and list them as well in your comment. If you can explain what you received personally from the training...what you came away with both physically and mentally...can mean improved shooting abilities, tactical awareness, and especially the mental satisfaction/dissatisfaction of the school.

I have police training over the past three decades (since '77), and much it wasn't mandatory but elective in nature in both handgun and shotgun (never carried a rifle). As large as the department I worked with as a career did not have a really great shooting program (my opinion), and some of my training I sought outside the department.

So, let's hear from those who have managed to scrape together the money for these schools.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't mean to be demeaning about my next question, but here goes.

If there has been little or no training, what does any of us have to fall back upon in that one, hopefully nonexistent moment when we
might have to defend ourselves or family members. What I'm saying is, there must be something positive our brains can revert to
as an instinct. Here's something I was taught and worked very well for me in two instances where I was involved in gun fights and a few other instances when I never saw the person who shot at me.

I call it "what if" scenarios....or better yet mental conditioning in which as you're driving, walking, or playing softball with your buds on a
Saturday afternoon. "What if" someone began shooting at me right now....what would I do ? "What if" if you're sitting at a stop light surrounded by other cars and some thug decided you were his next victim of a robbery...what would you do ? Can you draw from a holster while seated in a car ?? Do you even keep you handgun holstered while seated in your car ? There are so many aspects to self defense and combat shooting most, even police officers, are unaware of the thoughts.

Back in the '80s I attended a three day seminar for street sruvival and tactical awareness for police officers. I obtained two books, which were at one time required reading in some academies. Street Survival (Tactics for Armed Encounters) and The Tactical Edge (Surviving High-Risk Patrol) both written by qualified law enforcement personnel. These books have been updated over the years and are still available.

Yes, they are pointed directly at the police officers, however, with the introduction of CHLs, tactics are something I believe most civilian gun carriers do not have. The gun schools I mentioned previously are expensive, just like the golf schools, I'd like to go to once in a while. I
had the opportunity to get some training just because of what I did for a career, but most of you guys don't. The books might be the next best thing.

Now, don't misunderstand me, I'm not pushing these books and I don't get any sort of royalty from Charles Remsberg or the other authors. The two books just contain aspects of tactical thinking to keep you and your family alive. Afterall, isn't this why you obtained CHLs to protect yourself, your family, and friends who might be with you ?? Certainly, you didn't do it to become police officers and chase down the thug who just robbed the local bank, right ?

Give it a thought and prepare of the unknown...

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I wish I had the time and money to attend the large well known training schools, but I don't. I do particapate in training offered at local clubs and ranges. All are taught by certified NRA instructors and sometimes LE trainers. I use local shooting competitions to help refine my skills. I'm sure there are better ways, but that's what I've got.

Reactions: Old_Sp5

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Would be great if we could all afford the classes offered, but can't do it. I personally read as much as I can on the subject of self-defense, CC, holsters, ammo, etc. I also spend as much time as I can at the range where I work on different things,as far as aim,strong and weak hand shooting, drawing, drawing and shooting behind barricade etc.. I also do some practicing at home with drawing and fast loading my mags.. I feel pretty confident in my abilities, and I have a feeling if a BG wants to cross my path, it's not gonna turn out as they planned.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, that's what I'm talking about...great...the point I was leading to was I believe many CHL holders are just that...CHL holders. Yeah, those gun schools are rather cost prohibitive, huh ?

·
Banned
401 Posts
Howdy,

I got my training from Uncle Sam.

Down through the years I have honed and groomed it from being a "Combat Fireteam Member" mindset to a "Self Defense" mindset.

Paul

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Is Front Sight only in Las Vegas ?

Yoou're not to far from Houston, have you ever looked into these guys? 360 Tactical Training | Home
I bought a lifetime Handgun membership when they were on sale very cheap. I'm an airline pilot so the trip out doesn't cost me anything. It is just a hotel stay and food as far as the cost goes. I enjoy the trip out, I try to go every six months.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Would be great if we could all afford the classes offered, but can't do it. I personally read as much as I can on the subject of self-defense, CC, holsters, ammo, etc. I also spend as much time as I can at the range where I work on different things,as far as aim,strong and weak hand shooting, drawing, drawing and shooting behind barricade etc.. I also do some practicing at home with drawing and fast loading my mags.. I feel pretty confident in my abilities, and I have a feeling if a BG wants to cross my path, it's not gonna turn out as they planned.
I'm some what like this gentleman. But I do take courses when they are available and I can afford them. Thankfully, my VFW Post has a certified NRA instructor that is a member of our rifle range. I take as much advantage of him formally and informally as I can. I research and read and the military has taught me some as well, though their training has a different focus in mind. Sources like this site are a great help as well. As an example of the classes, an opportunity has come up for me to take the Utah and Arizona CCW training course for a decent price. Yes, I will get getting more CCW certification as a result but the training will be a benefit as well.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,741 Posts
I'm with Stengun Musical instrument

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I would love to have time and money to do something like this. But between family om the weekends and traveling for work on the weekdays I really don't have time for myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts