Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been brought up a million times on gun forums, but recently I have begun to feel severely underpowered with my 627. I am considering a Tracker .44 mag as my 4-legged defender, and my 627 as my 2-legged one. That being said if you were in the pacific northwest and only had two choices, would you take the 7 shots of .357 mag or the 5 shots of .44 mag as defense for the woods and outdoors?

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I want to be as logical as possible, so consider the ability to handle a .44 vs the .357 and all that jazz. And truthfully when I'm out romping around I try and bring bear mace as statistics don't lie, and you're far more likely to ward of a large animal attack with that rather than a handgun, but still I want to consider my options.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I live in Florida and we worry about snakes and gators, not Big Brown Bears. But I have heard that anything less than a 44mag just makes a big Brownie madder than Heck!

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I agree with asque2000. And bearing that in mind, If it were me it would be a .357. A .44 Mag is a bit heavier to lug on the trail, and there isn't anything (yet) in that neck of the woods that a .357 can't put down after the bear spray pisses the critter off. ;) Seriously if a bear is looking for a fight it will be coming pretty darn fast and you can probably deploy the spray faster than the gun. The spray will (hopefully) stop the charge long enough to get off an aimed shot with the gun.

·
Administrator
35,174 Posts
Yessir ! The Tracker was made for this purpose, and I think the 44 magnum Tracker is perfect for this niche.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I didn't want to get into a bear mace vs handgun issue, but rather a 7 shot .357 Tracker vs a 5 shot .44 Tracker, and which would be preferable in an outdoor setting?

·
Administrator
35,174 Posts
If you use mace, be sure to also use the bells, and tie your drivers license to it. This helps in identification when they go searching for your remains.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Additionally the .357 Tracker and the .44 are basically the same weight empty so I don't know if that influences one's decision

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
I know this topic has been brought up a million times on gun forums, but recently I have begun to feel severely underpowered with my 627. I am considering a Tracker .44 mag as my 4-legged defender, and my 627 as my 2-legged one. That being said if you were in the pacific northwest and only had two choices, would you take the 7 shots of .357 mag or the 5 shots of .44 mag as defense for the woods and outdoors?
Like you I am a WA state resident. Given only theses two choices I would choose the TRACKER® in 44 Magnum with a 4" barrel. In my case however, I selected the 41 Magnum TRACKER® as a better choice for me; because of less recoil & much faster double tap times.

·
32,497 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you use mace, be sure to also use the bells, and tie your drivers license to it. This helps in identification when they go searching for your remains.
That made me laugh. I'm no outdoorsman, but the last time I saw that big azz grizz at the Cleveland Zoo, the one thought I had was any pistol was not enough were he perturbed with your last insult to his bearhood. 44 mag and a fresh pair of shorts.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Reactions: darbo and treg

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Well I have a son and his family that live on a mountain just outside of Bremerton. Now when he bought the 10 acres he had to have 9 grizzles removed at a $1,000 each price tag. Now in that area he has grizzles, coyotes of course, moose, elk, large brown bears etc. I would recommend a min. hand gun as 454 Casull and preferably a rifle for trails. You could stop a grizzle with a 9mm but it would be a hell of perfect shot and really closer than I would want to be.

Reactions: VILLAGE

·
Registered
428 Posts
Imho i would take the 44 magnum.
I also like the thoughts of the 41 magnum. Just my 2 cents worth....and honestly, 7 shots from a 357 would
be final in my opinion....if you have whatever still coming after 7 shots,,,,,,i wish you all the luck in the world:)
i know this topic has been brought up a million times on gun forums, but recently i have begun to feel severely underpowered with my 627. I am considering a tracker .44 mag as my 4-legged defender, and my 627 as my 2-legged one. That being said if you were in the pacific northwest and only had two choices, would you take the 7 shots of .357 mag or the 5 shots of .44 mag as defense for the woods and outdoors?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
The Judge makes a pretty good trail/camping gun in my opinion. Carry some #4 shot if you
worry about snakes and some buckshot or .45LC if the larger creatures bother you.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
The Judge makes a pretty good trail/camping gun in my opinion. Carry some #4 shot if you
worry about snakes and some buckshot or .45LC if the larger creatures bother you.
The judge would be fine in North Carolina and even in my state Kentucky or previously Florida (born, raised and children born and raised there) however Washington state where the OP is from according to his location wouldn't be a good choice. A 45 Colt loaded well will stop a pig or even a deer however a few shots to stop a black bear and never mind a large brown or grizzly bear or even a in a loving mood elk. :D

1 - 20 of 81 Posts