Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I very much like my blue steel 856 I am considering selling or trading it for a .380 since it would be easier EDC for me. Has anyone done this? What is the trade value of an 856 these days? Anyone done this? I am near Seattle WA.

·
8,337 Posts
At my local LGS used 856's are bringing around $200 trade in value if in good condition. He is selling new 856's( when he can get them) for $289 - $359 depending on the model.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Semi auto - I really did not even think about a .380 revolver. Now I have to look that up! :^) Something thinner and less weight. My 856 weighs in at 23 OZ empty. Little .380 pocket guns more like 12-13 oz from what I have read.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't carry any of my revolvers, but there are some lighter weight models. There are lighter versions of the 856 and also a Model 380, that hit closer to 16 oz. I have a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 semi-auto that rides in my pocket everywhere I go.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
My 856UL weighs 15oz .... Charter Arms Undercover lites ( 5 shot 38spl) weigh 13oz

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Ruger or KelTec 3AT -- you are trading five rounds of 38 for 7 rds of 380 which, if you use modern ammunition, can come pretty near equal to 38 performance, and still be flat and almost unnoticable in your pocket, instead of that cylinder bulge.

As tradeoffs go, the price of 380 ammo is generally above 38's, too, except for the premium, social-purpose stuff, which is nearly equal, "generally"

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would trade it for an 85 UL. It's getting harder to find steel 856's so I'm sure someone would trade ya.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
I have a full dozen 380 pocket pistols, some kick harder, usually the thinner ones, but the Kahr CW-380 seems okay. A Glock 42 is on the big side, but shoots real well. I do not have a Sig P238, but do have a Colt Mustang XSP (now Lite) and it is only fairly accurate. I also own a Springfield 911 (not the cheap model) and it is my most accurate 380 and the one I carry the most at home. I used to carry a Ruger LCP Custom or a LCP II. RM-380 is all metal and works well. I do like the Taurus Spectrum, I just have my Ruger's and 911 slotted ahead of it. Spectrum is a good value and since you want plastic and lighter I would recommend the Spectrum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
CD,

Is the issue size or weight. If it's weight, get a 856UL. Keep the steel version as a spare / storage gun. Size is a somewhat different matter.

I wouldn't trade six shots of .38, especially +P, for six, or even 7 shots of .380 I would trade it for 6+ shots of 9mmx19. The latter wouldn't be lighter, but it could be smaller.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Second the idea of getting a 856UL. I have a KelTec P3AT and it's nice and reliable. I just have a bit more faith in the 38spl than 9mmKurtz

·
Super Moderator
34,953 Posts
I still have a .380, but never carry it. I can carry a 9x19 just as easily. My Kel Tec is only 14 ounces unloaded and a PF9 is only 12 ounces with one less round IIRC. There's lots of tiny 9s out there. I kinda like my TH9C, though. But, it's all good. There's something out there, .380 to 9mm, for any buyer. :D And, of course, I still have my tried and true M85SSUL and my 605 Poly.

Reactions: Ram Rod

·
Registered
190 Posts
While I very much like my blue steel 856 I am considering selling or trading it for a .380 since it would be easier EDC for me. Has anyone done this? What is the trade value of an 856 these days? Anyone done this? I am near Seattle WA.
Not quite sure what you mean by easier..I carry a M85ss like this In a Uncle Mikes belt slide holster or pocket carry,

It's comfortable to shoot even with the boot grip on It because of the weight of the all steel frame, honestly I'd hold on to the pistol considering what the market Is and I'd avoid the .380 unless you're sitting on a stock pile of ammo, price's are right up there with .9mm right now(read stupid high) and as hard to find.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts