Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a blue Taurus M85 38Spl 2" sub nose revolver, NIB. I have a person who would like to trade a blue Rossi .357Mag 3" blue NIB revolver even up, he simply wants a shorter barrel. Is this about an even trade? Not too familar with the Rossi guns so any imput would be appreciated greatly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey jonrjen! It sounds like a good deal to me!! Think that you would be getting the better deal considering you can fire a .38spl through the .357 (but not vice versa)! Provided that the Rossi is in good working condition and you don't mind the extra barrel length. Now, I could be wrong, and am too lazy to research real quick, but I belive Rossi's are made by Taurus. Or something to that effect. I know that they use the same locking mech on the hammer. Bottom line if you feel good about it, then it is a fair deal! Have fun.

·
Registered
31,758 Posts
The Rossi is a 46103 sold at Academy for black Friday in 2011 for $229.95 and in 2010 for $199.95. They are great revolvers, no doubt at all. A model 85 Taurus, I can assure you, the best price you will find anywhere new is $285 with most being around $350 at a brick and mortar store, meaning you wouldn't have to pay a transfer fee to a dealer like you would on an online purchase to get the $285 price.

I own both revolvers and think highly of both, would not necessarily rate the 461 above the M85 or vice versa. Most 461's are good to go, but check it out good to make sure it functions well, there have been a few more problems with the Rossi than the Taurus.
If the Rossi is good now, it will continue to be good, or it can be cured.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I agree with Jake. The Taurus 85 is usually always priced higher. The advantage for you would be if you want to try some of that .357 Magnum in that 3" barrel and you get 6 shots in that Rossi over 5 shots in the Taurus. I think the Rossi 461 has the potential as a better all around gun than the Taurus 85.

·
Registered
31,758 Posts
And Academy currently has the Rossi on Sale for $229.95 again!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
What are you using the gun for? If carry the 85, if range hog, truck gun and home defense the Rossi. Are you planing on-keeping one of them for the life of the revolver? If not the M85 has better resale. I would check the action, lock up, compare triggers and quality of finish. You should check tolerances on the Rossi: B/C gap, Head space, Timing. See if the trigger or hammer has play in it. things like that.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well, Like Adeste said.
Plus, Do you want a .357 mag? It has considerable kick compared to a .38 spcl. Trust me...i have a Ruger GP100 with a 3 inch barrel and those things can and will kick.

If you can, Both of you take it to the range and try them out. Gives you and idea on what's good and bad. And remember, The 257 will shoot .38 but the 38 will NOT shoot the .357.

Thats one of the reasons I chose a .357, So I can have best of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
To add to Josh45 the one thing I like about magnums is they are built for the pressures of a larger caliber in 357 so you get a well built gun that you can use 38 to plink with all day, that's probably going to last a long time with the ability for 357 if you feel the need. Those GP's are great! They are one of my all time favorite revolvers.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Love my revolver and love the .357. I can't shoot it worth the steel it was made with when shooting .357 but I just dont care. The BOOM behind it makes it worth it!

I shoot the .38 spcl much better....Sadly...

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The BOOM behind it makes it worth it!
Indeed, it does!

Shooting a .357 Magnum handgun causes me to get a good aerobic workout. :icon_ banana:

Reactions: Armd2DaTeeth

·
Registered
31,758 Posts
There are several different power loads going all the way up to the .357 magnum. +P and +P+ are both two loads below the .357 mag power and above the standard .38 special.

Today the Rossi is considered the second line of Taurus, but on the ones I own, I am every bit as satisfied with the Rossi's as I am with the Tauri I own. Perhaps in the future, the Rossi will have as good of value retention on some models as the Taurus.

As values stand today, the Taurus is at least a $50 plus in actual value, but perceived value is a different matter.

Reactions: Armd2DaTeeth

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have a .357 46103 and a Taurus 851 CiA. When I shoot 158 grain .357 mag out of the Rossi and shoot 158 gr. .38 special out of the Taurus 851, I can't say I feel ANY difference in recoil. Accuracy is aboui the same with either and a 3" vs 2" barrel comes down to your main consideration. The .357 is a tad longer but lighter than my carry 1911 (officer size) and the snubbie 851 CIA feels like a pocket gun. I prefer a longer barrel for accuracy in combat situations as I consider a revolver a one-hand, close up backup gun.

Well, Like Adeste said.
Plus, Do you want a .357 mag? It has considerable kick compared to a .38 spcl. Trust me...i have a Ruger GP100 with a 3 inch barrel and those things can and will kick.

If you can, Both of you take it to the range and try them out. Gives you and idea on what's good and bad. And remember, The 257 will shoot .38 but the 38 will NOT shoot the .357.

Thats one of the reasons I chose a .357, So I can have best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I say take the deal .357 over .38 Special any day even though I love my M85UL Duo-Tone.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have both. I like the 85 just fine. I love my Rossi 462. It's the gun I shoot the best. If I had to sell one, it would have to be the Taurus.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Taurus makes a good gun, but I have never had a Rossi, they seem to be well made. If not for CCW the 357 allows use of 38 and 357 ammo.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
I have a .38 Rossi and a .38 85SSUL. I prefer the Taurus as quality of trigger is better, not counting the fact that it's lighter for carry. Now, I've thought of buying a .357 Rossi 2", prefer it with a 3". I had a 971 once, decent gun, but I prefer my Taurus 66s and I have a 3"er.

Anyway, if I didn't have the other .357s in my collection, I would NOT trade a new 85 straight up for a .357 Rossi. If I wanted the Rossi, I'd just run down to Academy and buy one. I have no real need, though.

·
32,496 Posts
Let's put it this way.

Why not keep two guns around? The 85 and the Rossi.

Should a need for either be needed one is armed for whatever comes their way. The right gun for the right job.

I've got a Rossi 462 snub revolver and am getting sterling service out of it. However if it ever got bagged and tagged for a evidence gun for a righteous defense shooting I would want another revolver to take its place to have something for protection against other very possible violent situations.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Why not keep two guns around? The 85 and the Rossi.
I agree with that. A snubbie .38 and a long barrel .357 have potentially different functions, so they aren't redundant. Also, face to face sales/trades with people you know would suggest that you might be able to shoot the gun before you make the trade. That would be cool. I've bought several guns that I never would have bought if I could've tried them out first.

·
Super Moderator
35,016 Posts
Quiks is right about having two carries, though, should one go down or get absconded for evidence or whatever. I have multiple carry choices. One thing about 'em all, they all go bang with a REAL DA, at least the first shot, keeps my practice relevant with all of 'em. I have DA/SA autos, DAO autos, and DA revolvers for carry. The only fly in this ointment is my little NAA single action revolvers, but they're sorta special purpose and I do shoot 'em a lot. They're fun, why not? :D

Reactions: Qwiks draw
1 - 20 of 30 Posts