Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is I was approached for a straight up trade of my new 65 for an equally new EAA windicator in 357, should I do it, and also the finish on the 65 Is a matte blue I kind of like it does anyone else. I would love opinions on both topics?

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I would check prices on both, I believe the Taurus is more expensive. The Windicator is a great gun, I love mine and think it is more than the equal of a M65, but I would hesitate to take the loss on the trade unless you have shot the gun and like it better.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
The values of each revolver is about equal.
So why does a fellow who has a new EAA Windicator want to trade it so soon? Is it inaccurate, poor trigger, doesn't work properly, or maybe he just doesn't like how it handles.
You like your Taurus 65, its finish and it's buttery smooth trigger. So why would you want to trade it for something you're not sure about?
I would politely thank the gentleman for being interested in your excellent revolver, then pass.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The values of each revolver is about equal.
So why does a fellow who has a new EAA Windicator want to trade it so soon? Is it inaccurate, poor trigger, doesn't work properly, or maybe he just doesn't like how it handles.
You like your Taurus 65, its finish and it's buttery smooth trigger. So why would you want to trade it for something you're not sure about?
I would politely thank the gentleman for being interested in your excellent revolver, then pass.
That's exactly where my mind went. Why does he want to trade his medium frame 357mag for a different medium frame 357 mag? Something doesn't quite jive there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum Don!

If you're happy with your Taurus, I'd say keep it. (post a picture of it if you get time), we love pictures here.

Not familiar with the EAA but they seem to be well liked as well. This begs the question; why does he want to get rid of it??? hmmm.......

·
Registered
3,561 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Stick with the 605. I like the EAA Windicator, but it's a cheaper firearm than the 605 both in terms of price and quality, so if you were going to trade the 605 then the guy on the other end ought to add a few things or cash to sweeten the deal.

As for Taurus' so-called "Matte Blue" finish, (which is in fact a Black Oxide finish) while it's aesthetic appeal is subjective, (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) it's quality is objectively inferior in terms of durability/corrosion resistance to Taurus' previous blued finish, much less other matte black finishes like Melonite which are in fact a form of case-hardening and are extremely durable as well as corrosion resistant.
My brother's Judge had that finish and it wore away from ordinary use in under a year and even rusted a little beneath the grips, which prompted him to Duracoat it, and later me to buy my Judge in Stainless Steel.
Hopefully now that Taurus is using the Melonite process on the Spectrum 380, it will eventually be adopted across the board for all of their firearms and replace the current "Matte Blue" finish.

I'd hate to put it down so harshly, but based on my experience, it's just a really poor finish that needs to be replaced. Honestly, Taurus could go the route of Beretta and use a Teflon based finish or use an epoxy-polyurethane paint like Duracoat if they want a low cost finish, and either would be significantly better than what they're currently using.

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I would have rather seen Taurus increase the retail prices as necessary to cover whatever loss they incurred and keep up the nice finishes.

My first two Tauri were the 99 and 85 bought within a couple of weeks of each other and they had beautiful finishes, wooden grips too.

I'm not saying I wouldn't own a new one, but I sure wish they were as pretty as the older ones...

Reactions: Car_Doc

·
Registered
848 Posts
Personally I can't stand the new Taurus blue. I wouldn't have one but that is just my opinion.
The caliber 38 / 357 I love.
I'm sure you will make the right decission for you.

·
23,216 Posts
Regarding the two questions:

1) Ask to shoot both side by side. If he says no, walk. If he says yes, you get a fun range trip and a possible decision.

2) Of all the firearms I've owned, I've had this one the longest:

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Now, if I had two, one with a matte finish, and one with a gloss finish, I'd probably prefer the gloss one. I'm nuts about my Diamondback. But really, I'd worry more about the reports of lack of durability in the newer Taurus finishes. And I've always liked the Windicators. So if it were me, I'd probably be inclined to give serious consideration to this trade.

Reactions: leejack

·
Registered
445 Posts
A friend of mine had an EAA Windicator a few years back. To me it seemed like it's a cheaper firearm than the 605 in terms of quality. If I remember correctly, it was heavy. I do distinctly remember it had a horrible double action trigger. The single action was just ok. Anyway, have a good look at it & try it first, before making any decisions.

Reactions: slong115

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I think you'll find that the 65 has a much better trigger. I've had a Windicator and liked it, but the Taurus does have a better trigger, so I'd pass.

I'm not a fan of the new Taurus finish, but found if you lightly rub it with 0000 steel wool, it does give it a smoother look.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
JMO- Never was a fan of matte finish on firearms the 65 you have is a good gun the EEA 357 is as solid gun you could compare it to the Ruger GP 100 but in size and weight and dependably only also has a smoother blue finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts