Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much play ( looseness ) is in the 'crane' of the revolver when closed???

IE: forward part of cylinder , Mine seems rather loose... Pin that protrudes up into frame notch
does not have much tension into notch...

Thanks...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi, there shouldn't be any looseness in the crane.

Better contact Taurus by email, see what they say.

Or, contact a good local gunsmith to you...might just need something to tighten the tension on the crane shaft.

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.

TB C45

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you tighten the crane shaft, I bought it used. Was tight before 200 rounds
fired, Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
You can still call Taurus, the gun is warrantied for its life, not the life of a given owner.

Steelheart

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have cleaned it :" Throughly" and tightened the extracter , Still some play,
Can see the cylinder move and space open up at Crane seem.. The 'Pin' that holds the crane
in place has VERY weak tension, Can it get dirty inside ???

Really disapointed, Liked the gun, was shooting good, but noticed last 50 or so rounds had
some flyers, ( Thought it was me and the 210 Gr bullets ) wonder if it is the lose crane.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be calling Taurus , just hate to send it back and wait for ever. wanted to shot it some more before the weather gets to hot here in Florida.

???, my Charter 357 BulldogTracker ( also 24 oz ) has held up better than the Taurus...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be calling Taurus , just hate to send it back and wait for ever. wanted to shot it some more before the weather gets to hot here in Florida.

=====================================================

Wow! Now that is a wonderment, this time of year he's worrying about the weather getting too hot anyway soon.

We cannot even get into our ranges, there's about two foot of ice and snow covering the grounds there...it'll be there until about April.

However, do contact Taurus about your problem with the crane, I had a similar experience with my Tracker when it wouldn't open or close...they fixed it, and it came back to my dealer in about 2 weeks.

Its been fine every since...no more problem.

TB C45

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pulled the gun out to write down what I was going talk to Taurus about.

Crane is tighter, ?????, still some looseness when you wiggle the cylinder, but not like before.

When I cleaned it ,a tried to get some lube ( rem oil ) into the 'pin'.
Today it seems to extend farther up and have more tension ( still needs more spring in my opinion)
I'm thinking it was cruded up a little and the oil freed it up...( the previous owner was shoothing lead, don't know if it made a difference...

But, 'MO" the tapered pin latch leaves a lot to be desired on a magnum revolver..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I share your opinion. Apparently when Smith and Taurus parted ways, Taurus was not permitted to use Smith's setup, and came up with what we see on our revolvers today.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Might really check well around and under ejector. I shot a box of solid lead through my Tracker and thought I had it cleaned, but suddenly could not get the cylinder back out to load it. Took it to my local gun guy and he ended up finding a good sized chunk of lead under the extractor and part way down into the ejector pin area. Had it wedged good, I did!!!! He thought it was pretty funny with the crack about getting old and blind. The gun has worked fine since and is a tack driver with 125-135gr HPs. Pretty good with WWB too. I've shot the 158 gr and they don't seem to be quite as tight grouping, but could be me. Mines the 4" if that makes and difference. It is the most accurate and fun .357 I've ever owned.
I think you'll love yours when you get it working right. Might stick to jacketed ammo, though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was reading the old 'Write ups' on the Tracker titaniums, They were saying how
tight the latch pin was, and what a great new design it was ?????
Can't see how it is stronger than a front lock

I will check some more for lead,,, i do not intend to shoot ant lead in the tracker, really hard to get out of the ports..

powerkicker, is your tracker, stainless or titanium???
Also, How stiff is the spring on the pin, and does the frame notch show any wear on the notch??

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine is blued. The pin spring isn't very stiff. My gun only has maybe a box or two of rounds through it so the pin notch in the frame still looks new except for the drag line worn in the blueing by the spring-loaded locking pin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Opening an older thread but I bought a 627 Titanium Tracker about 10 days ago and noticed this morning that it has the front latch (spring loaded plunger in the crane) but there is not recess in the frame for the latch to drop into unlike the Taurus 94 I have. Is this a difference in the titanium models if so why have the front latch plunger, or is this something the factory forgot to machine in. :<(

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
You brought up a very good question. I know my 905, has a notch, did not go look at the JUDGE or the 94 yet. But am pretty sure it is there.

I think a phone call as least to CS is warranted. This is the new Taurus Customer Service number at 1-800-327-3776.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I contacted Taurus Customer Service they said that a recess should be there but advised that it I am not having a problem it was up to me if I wanted to return it for repair. They also advised that they might not be able to repair the 627T since it is discontinued. The pistol is nice and tight now but has only had a total of about 250 rds through it. (previous owner and a few I fired last week) I am afraid that without the front lock functioning that the wear on the crane and the rate that the cylinder becomes loose will be significantly faster then the revolver would normally experiance. anyone have any thoughts?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.