Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know what the spec's are supposed to be on the .22 992 cylinders? I have a feeling my cylinder may be undersized. I'm also curios how far a round should go in to the forcing cone when inserted by hand.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Any one know what the spec's are supposed to be on the .22 992 cylinders? I have a feeling my cylinder may be undersized. I'm also curios how far a round should go in to the forcing cone when inserted by hand.
22LR or 22 MAG Cylinder?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe my suspicions were correct. I slugged the cylinder and found 1 hole where the bullet falls through freely. The rest are between .219 and .221.5. Am I correct in thinking they should all be at least .222?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I do not know what Taurus specs.call for. Your most accurate custom revolvers will have cylinder throat and barrel groove diameter equal to bullet diameter. Also in a perfect world where all the cylinder chambers align perfect with the barrel a forcing cone is a slight taper. The degree of angle varied from gun maker to gun maker. Taurus has started using an unusually deep forcing cone. There is a custom forcing cone modification called Taylor throating. The forcing cone is tapered to bullet diameter for a depth of usually less than a depth of diameter. Then a slight lead to rifling. I really do not know what Taurus is doing. After looking at several castings of their barrels at the forcing cones it is not Taylor throating or even close. For years I have loved their revolvers. Accuracy and things found in custom revolvers made me a loyal user. Until they go back to their old system or get this worked out I'm not interested. Bought a new 992 and was very disappointed. Have shot several of their new revolvers this past two years and did forcing cone cast as well as checked cylinder throats. Taurus is a good company that stands behind their product. They are improving their product by trying different things. Shoot groups with both cylinders. At 20 to 25 yards with the 22 mag cylinder look for keyhole bullet holes. Make a list of your problems, call Taurus and go from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response. I noticed i can insert 1/2 of a 22lr round in to the forcing cone and thought that was a bit to deep. Not sure how to go about repairing a cone that was cut to deep. Is that part of the barrel? As far as the cylinder goes I may just buy a finishing reamer and ream all the holes so they are all even. I'm a little reluctant to sent it back. I sent it back because it wouldn't fire in double action, I could only put 8 rounds in the lr cylinder and the empties were hard to eject. When I got it back they fixed the double action firing issue but the spent rounds are still hard to eject. I can 9 rounds in but 1 of them has to be forced. I have a feeling they reamed the hole they thought may be tight. It now has a few scratches and a nick in the bottom of the barrel. This was a brand new gun a few days old when I sent it to them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts