Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve decided that I need a .357 revolver ;D. The problem is which one to get. I’m stuck between the 608 and the Tracker 627. So please chime in and help me out. I know you guys will want the facts so here goes.

I want a 4” barrel. No CC in Illinois so a shorty is out of the equation.
I will primarily be using this as a range gun with double duty as a home defense gun.
The gun will see far more 38 specials than .357’s going down range.
Recoil, shooting 357’s, should be manageable for follow up shots.
In time I’ll roll my own for this gun so it must hold up to +P loads

I hope to make a purchase in the next few days so any comments or ownership experiences would be greatly appreciated,

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i've got an 8 shot 608, had it for 10 years, i love it never had a problem. my dad had the previous years model, a 7 shot. not familiar with the 627, but i can put a solid vote in for my 608

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i have a 627 has a 6.5in barrel though, .38spl's feel like 22's in this thing.

.357's are pretty tame, i account that on it's weight and porting.

dunno about the 608 so i can't comment on it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I vote for the 608. I have a 607 which I love dearly. It weighs a ton. No mere .357 Mag round can move it. With the 608 you get one more round even! And since you are interested in using it for home defense, bear this in mind: when it's been shot empty, you have a 44 oz. steel club with some nasty sharp edges in your hand.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave85 said:
I vote for the 608. And since you are interested in using it for home defense, bear this in mind: if you when it's been shot empty, you have a 44 oz. steel club with some nasty sharp edges in your hand.
There's an angle I didn't consider! I think I'm leaning towards the 608. Unless I'm mistaken, there seems to be more selection of acessories like grips and holsters that are a bit hard to come by for the Tracker.

·
Registered
73 Posts
608. While I don't have one and do have a 627, I think you'll enjoy the 608 more (similar to my S&W 27) The Tracker series as a whole were designed for carry first and foremost, and as such, not really as much fun with full loads as the heavier pistols (unless you're into the whole pain thing...) My Tracker 4" was purchased for CCW duties primarily and for walking the trails. If it were me and it was only going to be a house/range gun, I would've gone with the 608 in a heartbeat. Besides, you can still carry it with the right holster, just be careful when you hit the mens room as that .44oz will pull your pants down to your ankles quick! LOL.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! The order has been placed and my new 608 should be here sometime next week. I appreciate all the great comments and feedback.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Sounds like either one is pretty good...I have a 4" Tracker and I love it, like Joe said...38s are like .22s and .357s are real easy to shoot...
You definitely made a good choice on the 608( I don't have one , but sure have read great things about it)... :D

have fun ;)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I think you would have been well served by either one though the 608 has a slight advantage with an extra round. That being said, I have a Tracker with the 6.5 inch tube and it offers everything I could want in a .357.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Rainman, you did well in choosing a 608. I've had mine just a couple of months and just can't get enough of it! I've recently started reloading, and that has opened up a whole 'nother world in enjoying my 608. Loading .38 Special with 2.8 grains of Bullseye under a 148 grain DEWC bullet produces a wonderfully accurate round that is an absolute delight to shoot. ;D

Amistad
'thrilled in Texas!'

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amistad said:
Rainman, you did well in choosing a 608. I've had mine just a couple of months and just can't get enough of it! I've recently started reloading, and that has opened up a whole 'nother world in enjoying my 608. Loading .38 Special with 2.8 grains of Bullseye under a 148 grain DEWC bullet produces a wonderfully accurate round that is an absolute delight to shoot. ;D

Amistad
'thrilled in Texas!'
Thanks Amistad. Like you, I've just started reloading also which is one of the reasons I chose the .357. Also I need to give you another big thank you for the recipe!! I was going to start another post to ask what an acurate target load would be for this gun. I'll post pics and a range report as soon as I can.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You're welcome, rainman. I love those 148 grain wadcutters, as they cut such crisp, clean holes in paper. I like to seat them so that only about 1/32 of an inch protrudes beyond the case mouth. That's "just right" for me and my gun. ;D

BTW, I just ordered a couple thousand of them from these folks. Good prices (considering today's spiraling market) and excellent service...

http://mastercast.net/index.html

Amistad

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Amistad said:
You're welcome, rainman. I love those 148 grain wadcutters, as they cut such crisp, clean holes in paper. I like to seat them so that only about 1/32 of an inch protrudes beyond the case mouth. That's "just right" for me and my gun. ;D

BTW, I just ordered a couple thousand of them from these folks. Good prices (considering today's spiraling market) and excellent service...

http://mastercast.net/index.html

Amistad
Looks like a good source for cast bullets. $56 per 1000 seems pretty reasonable. I've been eyeing a furnace and molds but haven't found enough b*lls yet to pull the trigger. Think I need to grow up in reloading by learning the basics before I tackle bullet casting.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have each Gun in 4 in. I like them but, I like the 627 the best. The 627 is just a little smaller and better, for me to handle. I still like and shoot the 608, I evan have carried the 608 for a CCW a few times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 627 and had a 607 (7 shot predecessor to the 608). The 608 (same frame as my old 607) is a pretty big gun. For me (and my personal opinion only), the 627 is a better fit for my hand. I also like the way it looks more then the bigger 608.
However, if you're going to hunt with a revolver, the 608 is probably the better choice.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RoyJackson said:
I have the 627 and had a 607 (7 shot predecessor to the 608). The 608 (same frame as my old 607) is a pretty big gun. For me (and my personal opinion only), the 627 is a better fit for my hand. I also like the way it looks more then the bigger 608.
However, if you're going to hunt with a revolver, the 608 is probably the better choice.
Well I pulled the trigger (forgive the pun) and bought the 608. Yes, the 608 is larger than the 627 but I though I would enjoy a more substantial revolver when shooting hotter 357 loads. As some members have mentioned the Ribber grips don’t rest easy on the middle finger of my shooting hand. While this is a minor inconvenience with a 22 it could be a major disadvantage with a larger caliber revolver. I agree that the Tracker is more astatically appealing. The looks of the Tracker was one of the determining factors when I purchased my Tracker 22LR. After spending some range time with the 608 I believe, at least for my uses, that I made the correct choice. Again, thanks to all you members for your sage advice.

Reactions: VINCENT

·
Registered
107 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The new toy. Hope to do better, but not bad for an old guy with less than eagle eyes!!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Not bad shooting at all rainman! Those are more than enough to run any goblin's day. :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Taurus_9mm said:
Not bad shooting at all rainman! Those are more than enough to run any goblin's day. :)
Thank you Taurus9mm! You probably noticed I didn't show you the other 4 bulls eyes on that target :D!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts