Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tracker 455 with a 61/2" barrel. Wonderful pistol. I've worked on the trigger some & have helped the pull a lot. My question is, does anyone have a good, accurate reload useing 200gr swc ? I have tried several different ones, but haven't found the exact perfect load for this gun yet. I use it for Bullseye. We shoot at 7, 15 & 25yds indoors. The league will sart again in a few weeks, & I want to be ready. My only other Taurus at this time is the PT1911. It's a great pistol too. I like the Taurus line of firearms & haven't had any trouble yet. The PT has over 6000 rounds through it & the Tracker is probably around 1800.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
You might want to post this in the Reloading section farther down the main page.

Steelheart

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been buying bulk 200gr.SWC from qualityammo.com. They sell all the time on auctionarms and gunbroker. Search for "bowling pin ammo". Great accurate ammo and is tack drivers in my 1911 and my 455. Email him and he will tell you his recipe. He's been reloading 45's for 40+yrs.
Also just what exactly have you done to your 455 and has it helped?

·
Registered
37 Posts
kansas45, what exactly did you do to improve the trigger pull? Mine could stand a little tweaking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys. I'm guessin', that with the extra length that this pistol has I'm gonna' have to adjust my loads till' I find one that it likes. Tite Groupe seems to work pretty good. I've never tried Clays. I use Bullseye & W231 in my 1911 loads & mostly PowerPistol for the 9mm.
parisite said:
kansas45, what exactly did you do to improve the trigger pull? Mine could stand a little tweaking.
So far, all I've done is to remove a few burr's & polished all of the trigger parts. I touched up the faces of the trigger, sear & hammer where they make contact with a fine, hard stone to give them a more positive, smooth surface. While this simple tune up helped quite a bit, I'm going to mess around with the hammer spring & some other things. Just what I've done so far has produced a 3 1/2lb trigger pull that is still nice & crisp. Thats with the hammer cocked. Shooting D-A is a different story. It's better, but is still too heavy to suit me. I'm not looking for an extreamly light trigger, but since this is only used as a target gun, I would like to get the thing down to about 1 1/2lbs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I haven't had my 455 long. I have yet to take the side plate off it and have never disassembled a wheel gun. I have several semi's however. I may venture in to unchartered waters this weekend and give it a try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
parisite said:
I haven't had my 455 long. I have yet to take the side plate off it and have never disassembled a wheel gun. I have several semi's however. I may venture in to unchartered waters this weekend and give it a try.
You will be just fine, parisite.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I bought two spring kits for both my 455's, the lightest Wolff offers (10lbs., both hammer and trigger). First replaced the ones on my snubbie. The mainspring will not ignite the primers in DA. SA is fine. Called Wolff and they are going to send me out a pair of 12 pound mains.
Replaced the trigger springs in both of them and the snubbie is just great now. Still wanted my 6'' target pistol a bit lighter so I snipped two coils off the trigger spring and it seems just about the way I want it......light and crisp. Will take it out and try it for real shortly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts