Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Tracker 45 ACP cylinder jamming

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Dave85 
#1 ·
I got to range fire my recently purchased used Tracker last week. I was shocked to find that the gun would jam on either the second or third shot. The hammer would fail to come all the way back and the cylinder would jam and fail to lock up. This would happen when trying to fire single or double action. I was unable to fire a full cylinder of five without a jam. Later while cleaning the gun, I placed five resized empty cases in a "stellar" clip and loaded the cylinder. While dry firing, I noticed that the number 2 case would either move slightly forward into the cylinder and the gun would fire, or it would hang up on the hand as it rotated the cylinder. I could clear the jam by pushing the number 2 case forward off the hand and into the cylinder.

I called Taurus and was told to ship the gun to their repair department.

It seems to me that excessive headspace could be part of the problem. I used a feeler gauge and measured the headspace at .018". In comparison, the headspace on my Taurus 44 Special measures .012"

Has anyone else ever had this problem with a Tracker or any other double action revolver? Is .018" excessive head space for a revolver?

I'll keep you informed when I get the gun back.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
texastaurusguy: If you hurry, there is a 6" Model 455 on gunbroker.com that ends in 18 hours. Check it out.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
Good News! My Tracker was shipped back to me in just five weeks. Their letter explained only: Cylinder - adjusted; hand - adjusted, yoke - adjusted. Not a real wordy buinch down there in Miami, but the bottom line is that it was fixed FREE with the warranty.

I loaded my Tracker 45 ACP with 45 Auto Rim cases and THEY FIT, contrary to what has been said about the subject, they work in my Tracker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.