Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to range fire my recently purchased used Tracker last week. I was shocked to find that the gun would jam on either the second or third shot. The hammer would fail to come all the way back and the cylinder would jam and fail to lock up. This would happen when trying to fire single or double action. I was unable to fire a full cylinder of five without a jam. Later while cleaning the gun, I placed five resized empty cases in a "stellar" clip and loaded the cylinder. While dry firing, I noticed that the number 2 case would either move slightly forward into the cylinder and the gun would fire, or it would hang up on the hand as it rotated the cylinder. I could clear the jam by pushing the number 2 case forward off the hand and into the cylinder.

I called Taurus and was told to ship the gun to their repair department.

It seems to me that excessive headspace could be part of the problem. I used a feeler gauge and measured the headspace at .018". In comparison, the headspace on my Taurus 44 Special measures .012"

Has anyone else ever had this problem with a Tracker or any other double action revolver? Is .018" excessive head space for a revolver?

I'll keep you informed when I get the gun back.

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
A Tracker in 45acp....? I want one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
texastaurusguy: If you hurry, there is a 6" Model 455 on gunbroker.com that ends in 18 hours. Check it out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Be advised that the Tracker in .45 acp has its own type of moon clips, think they are plastic, and you cannot shoot .45 auto rim in the gun either.

I'd opt for one in .45 Colt if you got that Lucky to find one.

TB C45

·
Super Moderator
35,588 Posts
What Tracker Backer said. The .45ACP ain't my cuppa tea in revolvers for that reason and I don't know how long those moon clips will be available for it. I had a Smith 1917 for a while that I played with. It was an old war horse. Probably should have kept it, but I sold it. Didn't like it all that much because it wouldn't shoot lead worth a toot. Had to use jacketed bullets in it. It would, however, headspace just fine without the moon clips. Wondering if the Tracker has the head space grooves in the cylinder so that it'd headspace on the case mouth without moon clips???? I'd get tired of messing with the moon clips and just eject the cases with a pencil, seemed easier, LOL.

I prefer .45 Colt anyway, can shoot a heavier bullet in the caliber and it's actually MADE for revolvers. Those moon clips can give you problems in the auto pistol calibers. I'd rather carry an auto if I want to carry .45ACP.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What is the matter with one in .44 Mag? They are available & you can shoot .44 Specials in them & the speed loader CA44 will work in them. That's the speed loader made for the Charter Arms Bulldog. They are not bad guns at all. Frank

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Probably on of the fastest reloads you can get is a .45 wheelgun with moon clips. after the war they were taking old webleys and machining them to take .45 with the moon clips, so the pistol has merit, I'd run one if the price is right.

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
I don't get it - how can a 45acp revolver not take the 45 auto-rim? It's the same diameter bullet.....that doesn't make any sense to me.

Wouldn't other moon clips for a k-frame sized revolver also work? I don't understand why the plastic Taurus clips would be the only thing you can use.....

Thanks guys !!

·
Registered
107 Posts
My Model 85 experienced cylinder binding after the first couple of boxes. This is the most common Taurus revolver service issue I see reported on the boards. They took care of me very well 12 years ago, and I gave the gun (and Taurus) a second chance. I was rewarded with a gun that I continue to rely on to this day. Let us know how how customer service experience goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
I don't get it - how can a 45acp revolver not take the 45 auto-rim? It's the same diameter bullet.....that doesn't make any sense to me.

Wouldn't other moon clips for a k-frame sized revolver also work? I don't understand why the plastic Taurus clips would be the only thing you can use.....

Thanks guys !!
The only way I can imagine 45 AR not owrking is if Taurus has the headspace too tight for them to fit between the cylinder and recoil shield.

I'd guess Taurus is the only one making a medium frame 45acp moon clip...That's why you have to use theirs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have two model 455 45acp Trackers. A 6.5" and a 2" snubbie. They both are great and the long one is match accurate. I never use the stellar clips in the long barreled one because I use it as a range gun only.
Using factory ammo in them I've never had a problem of ANY kind. With reloads I learned the hard way that they have to be crimped juuust right because the chambers are very tight and some of my reloads wouldn't go fully in enough to even close the cylinder. Now that I have the seating and crimping adjusted to their likes they have performed above all expectations through many k's of reloaded rounds.
Since the pic I have replaced both grips with ones from Hogue. ;)

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
That 2'' snub is about as good as it gets........

·
Registered
275 Posts
powerkicker said:
The only way I can imagine 45 AR not owrking is if Taurus has the headspace too tight for them to fit between the cylinder and recoil shield.

I'd guess Taurus is the only one making a medium frame 45acp moon clip...That's why you have to use theirs.
------------------------------------------------------------

That is absolutely correct, Taurus decided to screw up a good thing, and made sure you didn't try to use some .45 Auto Rim.

TB C45

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good News! My Tracker was shipped back to me in just five weeks. Their letter explained only: Cylinder - adjusted; hand - adjusted, yoke - adjusted. Not a real wordy buinch down there in Miami, but the bottom line is that it was fixed FREE with the warranty.

I loaded my Tracker 45 ACP with 45 Auto Rim cases and THEY FIT, contrary to what has been said about the subject, they work in my Tracker.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Nice to hear the Good news...<:))

·
Registered
107 Posts
Always like a happy ending. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts