Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, This is my first post here. I've been on a couple of other forums for awhile, but have not owned a Taurus until now. I'm picking up a Tracker .44 next month for protection in the Rockies. I was wanted to hear some opinions from those of you who have fired some hot stuff from your Tracker .44's such as Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Grizzly ammo in approx. 300 grainers. I regularly fire .357's from my 23 oz. SW 640, so I'm not particularly recoil sensitive; just wanted to hear from other folks with Tracker .44's

Thanks

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
As long as it is a standard pressure 44 magnum I'd expect the gun to handle it. However, in the review on Gunblast they had trouble with the heavier bullets as the overall length of the loaded cartridge is longer than the normal stuff.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Tracker44.htm

Now, this is from Nov. 2004 and there may have been some changes to the gun since then. A call to Taurus might be in order before you spend your hard earned money.

Hopefully someone here with that gun could help you out with either actual experience or measuring the cylinder length with a caliper. With the actual cylinder length you could then contact the ammo company and find out the loaded OAL (Over All Length) of the load you want to use.

Steelheart

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 44 tracker in 4". I had to send it back to replace the trigger assy. It had light strikes and 6 weeks later I have gun that works great. I usually shoot specials. 10 rounds of 44 REM Magnum 240g is all I can take. I don't think this pistol was made for constant mag loads, the walls are too thin.
For a back packing gun with full (less than Buffalo loads) it is great!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a bad experience with my brand new Tracker with a 2" barrel. It handled 44 special fine except for a slight extraction problem. Then, when I tried full house 44 mags. the trigger/hammer locked up and had to extract the empties with a wooden dowel rod.I promply sent it back to Taurus.They told me it would take 5-6 weeks minimum for work to be completed. That was about 2-3 weeks ago? Arrgh!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can anyone tell me why a 300-plus-grain bullet is needed in .44 magnum? The 250-grain Keith-type SWC's when properly cast have been proven to give the requisite amount of penetration, plus they can be loaded to an OAL that'll allow them to chamber in the various revolvers.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Most .44mag revolvers can use 300gr bullets as long as they loaded to IIRC 1.610" or less, some guns like Raging Bull can take longer OAL ammo.

to answer your question 300gr+ bullet would still have penetration than 250gr, so if you want to get max penetration that's what you'd want

·
Registered
10 Posts
300 grain is a lot of lead for a handgun. But if you looking at a grizzley its not that big.
Its hard to believe but a 44 mag is marginal (my humble opinion) with Grizzleys. It better be a well placed shot.
A 44 mag is a powerful weapon and its probably what I would want to carry if I were in bear country.
Some of the big bear can be hard to stop even with high power hunting rifles.
I havent been in grizzley territory for some time. When I am deep in the woods here in Oregon the thing I fear most is bears........and people second.
Depending on where I am I will often carry a Marlin 30-30 or a 45-70.
If I were in Alaska it would definately be at least a 45-70 and maybe a 44 mag side arm.
But hey you guys have forgotten more about hunting and guns than I know.
Safe Shooting

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in griz country and carry my 2" Taurus 44C loaded with 300-gr hard cast over 21 gr H110... you do not practice with this load. Take some shots to get the feel of what to expect from felt recoil, the gun will hold up no problems as they have the ribber grips. My real fear is mountain lions and humans. Griz bears outside of the parks don't view people as a food source, but in the parks like Glacier and Yellowstone people still throw food to the bears because they want to get a picture.... they don't get it, a fed bear is a dead bear.

You have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning than you do meeting up with mr or mrs griz in the woods.

On my job, I have met with two griz who were quickly sprayed with Counter Assault Bear Spray and left in a hurry, it also works on dogs that you may meet along the way as well.

If you feel you need better bear defense, carry a 12 ga shotgun.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Hey J_B whats the recoil like with those 300-gr? all I shot through mine were 240 jacketed sp, and that's what I hunt with in my 4" 44cp. Also is the extra 60 grains worth it? When I took my deer in 04 I was using 240gr at close range it busted through from the left rib on a diagonal shot, through the lung, and clean through its' shoulder and still kept going, no deviation.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have shot some 300 grn hard casts out of my 4" tracker,they chronoed 1130 fps,I will tell you they do recoil a lot.mine doesn't like them the trigger doesn't return right.I have reaciently aquired a 431 and am going to get rid of the tracker.If I go into bear country I guess I'll take my 4" birds head 45colt vaquero.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I was wondering how light you can load those things, I don't need them to go through a brick wall, but I bet a 300gr slug going at around 900 fps would be a heck of a manstopper, and it wouldn't kill your hand as much.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome, Reggie, to this site.

Frankly, I wouldn't recomend loading 300 grainers in the five shot Tracker .44 magnum. The recoil is going to be severe even with 255 to 265 grain bullets...and them is big bullets, believe me.

If one was really afraid of a Grizz encounter, I opt for the Taurus Raging Bull, which is a really neat gun at a moderate price. Plus, its a six shot and has double HE latch up and release.

I believe the Raging Bull can be had in 5 inch barrel.

Had the pleasure of handling one of these at my local gun pusher, it is fine piece of workmanship, much more so than the Tracker.

Now I'm not knocking the Tracker at all, I've got one in .45 Colt caliber and it is highly prised by myself. To this day I have never seen another Tracker in the .45 Colt...I must have the only one on the planet. ;D

For big bear work, you need hard cast bullets, or some of them fancy jacketed jobs that skin the animal and clean out the guts.

TB C45

·
Registered
846 Posts
I agree with JB, I have shot full factory 240 out of my Tracker, Very easy to handle with the grips. Read the book and the online info, to long a bullet causes problems!!!! Do you research, sometimes bigger ain't better. But if ya worried don't go. If you see a mother with cubs don't panic just back away slow and Quiet!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
texas shooter sure got that right..."If you see a mother with cubs don't panic just back away slow and Quiet!"

I remember back in the early 1950s, was hunting deer in the Sierra Nevada Mts. quite aways east of Placerville CA. Walking down this trail I came upon black bear cub doing the Curly Joe, spinning round and round about 25 yards away.

Now I thought that was mighty peculiar behavior, then I heard this deep growl and a huge momma black bear poked its head and shoulders out of the brush to admonish the cub for acting stupid and to get out of sight...which it did.

I decided to get out of sight myself and did an about face walked briskly away.

Only had the 30-30 Winchester and a skinning knife, didn't feel like being a Rambo.

TB C45

·
Registered
178 Posts
How do your Trackers perform with standard .44 Mag & .44 Special loads? I'm thinking of one, but will shoot way more .44 Specials than Mags.I'm interested in group size & any problems you encountered with your guns. Thanks Frank

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've had no problems with mine at all. I've shot mags and specials group is great, esp. for a 4", recoil is good love the grips, and even the Ms. loves the gun. I would have no problems recomending this gun to anyone. 44sp are easy to shoot in it. I keep mine loaded at home with factory 180 speer gold dots low recoil, they punch in a 2" at 15 yrds.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
If I had one I would. I do have a Tracker .357 though and while never having attempted to harvest a deer with it, I'd have no qualms about it if I were to press it into that role.

The only .44 Magnum that I have taken deer hunting was a M44 which I no longer own.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about carring this on duty as well. With 44 specials of course. Only thing that concerns me is the 5 round capicity. All qualifacation courses require 6. Except of course back-up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts