Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about buying the .44 with 4" bbl. but i read an early article about them that said the cylinder was too short for reloaded swc ammo (would only shoot jhp or flat nose ammo). did they address this or is it even true? Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
959 Posts
~Flat Nose is a Good (Bad A$$) Thing...<:))
The Keith Style Bullet
Keith was also responsible for a number of bullet designs still popular today, and collectively called "Keith style" bullets. These bullets were based on the semi-wadcutter design, but using a wider than normal front surface, and convex sides. These changes increased the volume of the bullet outside the case, thus allowing more room inside the case, needed for large loads of slower burning powders (see internal ballistics). These bullets remain popular for both target shooting and hunting. When shooting paper targets, they cut a relatively clean hole in the target, yet provide more case volume and a better ballistic coefficient than a flat front wadcutter. When used for hunting, the heavy bullets provide excellent penetration; they are often used on dangerous game, for which more reliable penetration than is possible with expanding hollow point or soft point bullets is required. The relatively sharp edges of the flat nose and shoulder cut tissue, rather than pushing it aside like a typical round nosed bullet, which results in more tissue damage and faster incapacitation of the target.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've not fired any swc ammo in my 44. If it's intended to be a revolver to take along hunting however, I'd be surprised if it didn't fire swc reloads.
Maybe some other 44 owners will weigh in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the reason i ask is because i have 1000 240gr swc reloads for my marlin .44 lever gun and i was looking for a handgun in the same caliber when i ran across the tracker 44 the price is right and i like the design of the gun. i like that it holds only 5 rounds of 44 for weight and thickness reduction. my reloaded swc bullets are cheap and fun to shoot, i just want to make sure they will shoot from it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Kawaboy-zx11, I have used the Keith 429421 in a Tracker before, it will just fit & you have to seat it to the bottom of the front driving band to get it to acceptable OAL. It will crimp in the crimp groove. You can,however, use it quite nicely in .44 special brass. The RCBS version of the Keith bullet is too long to chamber in the Tracker I tried it in. I shoot many more times .44 Specials than I do .44 Mags. anyway, it's just more pleasant. Hope this helps. Frank
Kaw, I just thought of something else if you want to reload the lead SWCs you can always crimp over the front driving band. That has been done a lot. You may want to reduce the load just a bit because the bullet will be seated about 1/8" deeper in the case & that should allow the use of the longer bullet. As you say though you already have 1000 rounds, you will just have to try them. A lot of comercial cast .44 bullets are shorter than the Lyman 429421 bullets too & should work just fine. It's a much less expensive way to go. Thanks. Frank

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd love to get a Henry's 44 mag lever action for the same reason, to have the same caliber in both guns. I can't afford one however.
I also don't reload because I don't have the space or the money to get the equipment.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
First off, is this the article you're referring to?
http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Tracker44.htm

Here's a quote from the article:
Testing several varieties of factory and hand loaded ammunition, the Tracker handled all loads well, but the cartridge overall length could not exceed 1.626 inches.

I guess my question to you would be, what is the OAL of those reloads you have?

Steelheart

1 - 10 of 10 Posts