Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gettin' all worked up for a Tracker .44 Mag. with a four inch barrell, in matte finish stainless. No particular use in mind, I just want one. I'd like to hear all the pluses and minus of these guns from you that own 'em. It's a long time til Santa comes, so I may have to do somethin' different. I got the fever. :guns:

Registered
Well, when you got the itch go ahead and scratch it.

However, I got a six inch Colt Anaconda in .44 magnum that is not doing anything.

Its in fine condition with original blue case and broshure. This gun was given to me a few years back by my son in Virginia, he got a Randall in .45 acp last year from me...original box and broshures included.

Son is more into long guns that hand guns.

Jim

Registered
Still got that Anaconda TBC45???
I might be getting an itch for a 6-inch .44 Maggie....again. :D

Registered
Yepper's, still got the Anaconda in 6-inch. You must be drinking calamine lotion, you ain't itching enough... :D

I've got a few guns I want to cull, they aren't being used and just taking up space in my stash.

Got a real nice HS Sport King with 3 magazines in .22 LR with 6-inch barrel. It has an adjustable trigger screw under the left grip panel...also comes with two holsters.

If you still want to talk, contact me at my email addy.

TB C45

Registered
This is a cool gun overall. I just bought one but for a partucular pupose...

I was going into the back-woods of Alaska. Taurus squeezed 44 Mag into a .38/.357 model (basically a heavy barreled S&W K-frame). For a small, relatively light, grizzly-stopping gun it is an unequalled choice. And it is priced right!

That said, I did have a couple of minor problems out of the box and after only 20 rounds have other questions... Note it is painful to fire alot -- it is NOT a full-power-round shooter.

It is apparently the favored sidearm amongst Alaskan bush-pilots. If you are gonna shoot at the range regulalrly or hunt, it is probably not the gun to go with. If you just really admire it, it IS a tight actioned, cool handling, looking and feeling revolver (tho I may have the full-underlug drilled-out at muzzle to lighten and change balance a little).

Alden

Administrator
I'm getting the itch to get a 44 mag tracker too. The obvious plus with this gun is portability - it wouldn't be too difficult to carry it in an IWB holster as your conceal carry weapon, of course stoked with 44 special +P loads......but it's rugged enough to be your constant companion in just about any outdoor setting in North America.

Registered
Tex;
May I respectfully disagree w/you?

I'm holding my 44 Tracker now and it ain't no CCW; I'd be surprised if anyone makes one as it would NOT work well in a IWB holster even with a waist as large as mine if I were wearing suspenders! At more than 2 lbs of metal it is clearly more an old-fashioned standard duty revolver. Its beauty is as a compact 44 MAGNUM which is still pretty big and heavy. If you're gonna load 44 Special anyway there are MUCH better 5-shot options out there including from Taurus (which NY State Troopers carry as an unofficial BUG)...

Alden

Administrator
Well.....can I disagree with your disagreement? :) I just think that in the right holster, such as a Crossbreed IWB, I could make this gun disappear. Now, I'm a bigger guy, so maybe that has something to do with it....the barrel would protrude downward a couple of inches, but I still think it could be done. Not as well as a 2 1/2 inch barrel medium frame, though. ;)

Registered
I've carried my .44 Tracker IWB concealed and OWB concealed without a hitch. And for extended periods of time.

Registered
The Tracker as a CCW? Love you guys -- hardcore! Guess I need to get more sun... I knew of a guy on-the-job who carried two shoulder-holstered 1911's OFF-DUTY, another who carried an axe-handle as his night-stick, and a fellow called Doc who wore 5 guns at all times -- there's room for all opinions.
Alden
PS: the .44 Spl. Charter Arms Bulldog 4" Target weighs 1/3rd less than the Tracker and the regular 2 1/2" model is even shorter, lighter, and less expensive...

Registered
I find the Charter product to not be as "tight" as the Tracker. Feels a bit sloppy when handling it.

Registered
I agree, nypd. There are some out there who like charter arms, and some who don't I've handled a lot of them and felt the cylinder as I work the action like I do on all my revolvers, and haven't been sold on one yet. The only other revolvers I passed over like that were armscorp .38's and they were even worse. While they say it doesn't affect shooting I am not so sure.

Administrator
And, with the Bulldog, you can't run 44 mag ammo through it, if you want/need/had to.

Registered
I love mine! No problems, I just wish I could have found SS when I got mine. The Ms. loves this gun, and with the grips she says it's fun to shoot.

Registered
Mine is quite a shooter! It really does well. Personally, I can't imagine using it as a ccw, I'm with alden, I would need some suspenders to keep that thing where it belongs. GREAT gun though, you won't be disappointed.

Matt

Registered
I made up my mind, taking mine to gun show this weekend see if I can trade in for SS.

Registered
I've been thinking of getting the 4" SS version for a while now. I'm getting ready to "pull the trigger" if you will on my next gun. I was really looking at the 650SS snub to conceal a little better than my PT145, not that I have an issue with it, but something says I need the .44 Mag or .44 Special and try a few things to conceal it in the cooler weather.

For the guys that CC the 4", what clothing are you guys wearing and what build are you? I'm 6'0" 260 lbs with an "athletic" build, or so the suit companys say haha. Would this work good enough, or am I going to wish I had got the 650SS first?

Registered
QuarterHorse said:
For the guys that CC the 4", what clothing are you guys wearing and what build are you? I'm 6'0" 260 lbs with an "athletic" build, or so the suit companys say haha. Would this work good enough, or am I going to wish I had got the 650SS first?
I'm 6'4", 220 lbs. As far as clothing, I just wear what I usually wear. The Tracker rides just as well as my 3" Ruger GP100.

Registered
I guess the only comparo I can ask for is comparing it to say my PT145. Sorry for all the questions. I've thought about going with the 2" version I've been finding on here too.

Registered
Quarter;
Go to the local shop where they know ya and ask to put a 2-lb 4" S&W L-Frame in your waistband, maybe w/a rag around it to keep it mint, and take a walk around the inside of the store. Then try (even a 3") J-frame sized revlover like you were considering before making up your mind...

The Tracker IS as compact and tight a little gun as you'll find in .44 Mag. though...

Alden

1 - 20 of 29 Posts