Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was shooting the 4" stainless 425 for the 1st time yesterday, off the bench @ 50". Decided to start on the low end with some .41 specials using the 215 SWC BB lead bullets at 950 fps. Then went up to the Winchester Platinum factory loading with the 240 grain hollow points, they were surprisingly mild in recoil & grouped pretty well. Then I went to my "full house" reloads using the Hornaday 210 XTP good for an estimated 1300 fps, the chronograph showed I was getting 1270 so that's right on as my Tracker basically has a 3" barrel with the porting taking up the last 1" of the tube.

Overall the 1st impression was a positive one, this is my 1st Taurus handgun of any type & its a used one too boot. The gun was reasonably accurate & handled the recoil well, I can see why that porting & the soft ribbed grip is a must on this lightweight 41 magnum.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
First: Welcome to taurusarmed.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "Taurus® Spoken Here! Hooaaahhhh!!!!!

Second: You have chosen an absolutely outstanding firearm! I have owned the same gun since 07/2012 (last year that they were produced). It is an AWESOME Trail Gun! It is like the Hornady® motto: Accurate, Deadly, Dependable. Here is some info for you as a fellow 41 Magnum afficionado...
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/41-mag-association.599046/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/186888865335880/?ref=br_rs
https://www.facebook.com/41magnumsociety/

·
Registered
521 Posts
Congratulations! I consider those in the Taurus Unobtainium category for me. I have never seen one locally and online prices were really high. I really like the 41 cartridge. Glad to read some positives on the gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Congratulations! I consider those in the Taurus Unobtainium category for me. I have never seen one locally and online prices were really high. I really like the 41 cartridge. Glad to read some positives on the gun.
This is actually the 2nd one I've had a chance to purchase, passed on #1 but not this guy. Just received a shipment of cast SWC from GT bullets went with a 250 pac of their 215 grain hollow points and got a bag of the Starline 41 special brass as well. They are solid to deal with & quick shipping. The cast bullets look nice and clean. Range report coming up.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have several Trackers and while they will stand full power loads IMHO it will loosen them up earlier than should be. I shoot 16.5/2400/200CSW from my 41 and get excellent accuracy and loads that will not accelerate the wear on the gun. You might also try 8.5/unique/ 200 CSW for a good small game and plinking load.
I also have a 44 tracker and shoot mid range cast bullets out of it. I shot full power loads out of my 44 but the accuracy was not as good as the mid range cast bullet loads .
I do not live in bear country and either load will kill anything that walks, crawls or swims in south Texas.
Congrats on your 41 Tracker one of my favorite belt guns.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have a 2012 Tracker 425 in 41 magnum. It has become my favorite magnum. I also have a Blackhawk in 41, they are surprisingly close using the same ammunition. I have never put a jacketed bullet thru my Tracker 41. Nothing but my hand cast lead alloy and usually over a healthy charge of 2400, H-110 failed to burn completely in the tracker. The Tracker 41 is a good mate for my Marlin 1894FG in 41 magnum.

·
Registered
24,610 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
22,303 Posts
210 grains at 1270 fps? Dang, I see why people love 41 magnum! Welcome to the forum!

Also, will someone please unplug badge851's coffee maker?

Reactions: JStacy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts