Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 Shot 4 inch barreled 10mm/40S&W built on the Tracker platform...I'd buy one so fast your head would spin....

I don't understand how they miss this...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Charter arms has a 40s&w revolver that doesnt require moon clips. Maybe thats the nudge Taurus needs to make it happen.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Be nice to see one. I like the 10mm round, but then again I like them all

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I've been pondering this for a while now. What's not to like? Economical to shoot with plenty of git 'er done when needed. With a 4 or 6 inch barrel and adjustable sights it would be a great all around gun.

Initially I leaned more towards a simple .40 revo in which moon clips were optional, BUT:

-With a system similar to Charter Arms you could have 10mm and .40 S&W with no moon clips. I have not read any info regarding the interchange of 10mm and .40 S&W in a revolver cylinder and it's effect on accuracy.

-With a system like the M922 (.22 LR / Mag) the cartridge swap could be accomplished by swapping cylinders. Those who don't want 10mm don't have to pay for the option.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really like Charter revolvers ..I have two now..carried one today...I owned a 40S&W chambered one..it was a beast to load ...no quick way to do it..I much rather have one with moon clips...

·
Registered
339 Posts
the Taurus 405 was on the Tracker frame right? but, I believe it only a 5shot. it's not hard to headspace the cartridge on the mouth so that moon clips are not required, but then extraction can be cumbersome. a chamber that would allow 10mm to headspace on the mouth could also fire .40S&W but would require moon clips to headspace the .40.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
the Taurus 405 was on the Tracker frame right? but, I believe it only a 5shot. it's not hard to headspace the cartridge on the mouth so that moon clips are not required, but then extraction can be cumbersome. a chamber that would allow 10mm to headspace on the mouth could also fire .40S&W but would require moon clips to headspace the .40.
He's right. Since they both are rimless cartridges (meaning the rim is the same diameter as the cartridge, not that the rim is completely missing) that headspace off the case mouth, you'd have to use a moon clip to keep the .40 from dropping into the chamber too far.

That being said, I'm all for them coming out with a 10mm Tracker. That way, I can buy one and have it converted to shoot .38WCF. As long as they leave those stupid, useless ports off the barrel. They are the reason I didn't buy a Tracker back when they came out with the line years ago and I really, really, really wanted a 4 inch .45 Colt, a .45ACP and a .44mag.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
He's right. Since they both are rimless cartridges (meaning the rim is the same diameter as the cartridge, not that the rim is completely missing) that headspace off the case mouth, you'd have to use a moon clip to keep the .40 from dropping into the chamber too far.

That being said, I'm all for them coming out with a 10mm Tracker. That way, I can buy one and have it converted to shoot .38WCF. As long as they leave those stupid, useless ports off the barrel. They are the reason I didn't buy a Tracker back when they came out with the line years ago and I really, really, really wanted a 4 inch .45 Colt, a .45ACP and a .44mag.
Agreed, I don't understand Taurus' need to drill holes in perfectly good barrels.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Taurus seemed to be close to the right track with the M405.

Why it was a medium frame 5 shot, not a small frame 5 shot or medium frame 6 shot is a mystery to me.

The 2" snubbie was a good start. Expanding the line to longer barrels and including adjustable sights would seem to be the next logical step.

Hopefully they are redirecting the .40 (and 10mm?) (and 9mm?) revo program and heading it that way.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really would like to see the 10mm /40S&W in the Tracker platform ..with a 4inch barrel.... 6 shot ..would absolutely ..be the cats pajamas.....the 10mm. is great round when properly loaded to its full potential ....close to the 41 Rem. Mag...the 10mm is a very efficient cartridge...and the 155 gr bullet makes a heck of a SD choice and the cast 180 gr to 200gr ..makes a great Black Bear / Big Hawg ,bullet

(Had to say it again) Hope the powers to be are reading this....

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I really would like to see the 10mm /40S&W in the Tracker platform ..with a 4inch barrel.... 6 shot ..would absolutely ..be the cats pajamas.....the 10mm. is great round when properly loaded to its full potential ....close to the 41 Rem. Mag...the 10mm is a very efficient cartridge...and the 155 gr bullet makes a heck of a SD choice and the cast 180 gr to 200gr ..makes a great Black Bear / Big Hawg ,bullet

(Had to say it again) Hope the powers to be are reading this....
If they did it on a Tracker frame, it would probably have to be a 5 shooter. With the operating pressure you get from a full power 10mm like the original load for it, you'd want the extra steel and off set the bolt cut out a 5 shot cylinder would give you. With a 6 shooter, I'd feel more comfortable with more steel in the cylinder wall especially in the thinnest point at the bolt cut out. Smith built the 610 on the N frame for a reason.

Reactions: 44wcf

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
10mm operates at 37,500 PSI ,357 mag. at 35,000 PSI ...44 Mag at 36,000 PSI...you maybe right ...it will be close........I'd say it will be a 5 shooter....that would leave alot of metal ...able to fire full house loads...and handle pressure spikes....

yep a 5 shooter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts