Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bud's has blued 65's for $355. I don't own a revolver yet and have wanted a .357 mag for a long time. I already own a few semi auto's, but I see that Buds has 24/7 45's for only $323 while supplies last. I'm leaning toward the 24/7 because I may never be able to buy a new one before they run out- and $323 is a great deal. I really want the 65, but I can always get tht down the road... Tough call.:confused:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I am prejudice but I would get a 24/7. They are absolutely fabulous guns. I know you will not be let down. I own 4 and am thinking of getting another soon. However, I am in the need for either a snubbie or a long barrel revolver. AGHHHHH! Either on you will love

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
I just picked up a M65 in stainless for $365 including delivery to my FFL and no extra charge for use of a credit card. Haven't fired it yet, but sure look forward to it.
Of course that is a great price on the 24/7. Kind of sucks to be you right now.....got money back from the IRS, and now can buy a new gun....but the decission part sucks..LOL!!!
Good Luck!!

·
Super Moderator
35,022 Posts
Getting a refund must be nice. :rolleyes:

Consider the 66 (adjustable sights) unless you want the gun for concealed carry. Even then, I like the adjustables, but my 3" shoots to same POI (unusual) or danged close at 25 yards with .38 and .357, so I sorta wish it was a 65. :D But, I got it for $180 used at a gun show and it's friggin' laser accurate, so I ain't complaining. :D My 4" shoots like most .357s, way low with .38s and I have the elevation adjustment marked for .38 and .357.

Anyway, I'm a revolver guy, so I have a bias in this decision. :D I own a few autos, just prefer to shoot revolvers. Even my usual carry is a DAO 9x19 with a revolver like trigger, a Kel Tec.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Also noticed that Bud's has the Taurus 608 stainless .357mag with adjustable sites, 8 round wheel for only $377 delivered. Heck of a deal....I want one!!!

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
I agree, adjustable sights are great, and fixed sight .38/357 are also great. Of my revolvers, they are about 1/2 and 1/2.

There is just no reason not to like either one, but if you don't have a revolver with adjustable sights, you will really enjoy it at the range. You can adjust the sight for whatever load and range you desire.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
In my book every collection should have at least one revolver and the 65 is a good choice. I’m currently considering one for my wife.

·
32,497 Posts
Are you more pistol savvy or so with a revolver?

I would normally go with the kind of gun you are most familiar with.

Barring that either is a good pick.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Revolvers work out for home defense. When something wakes you up in the middle of the night, you don't have to do anything but pull the trigger. Safe simple, and even half awake old guys can make it work.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
When weighing the decision to buy a firearm, politics must be included in the decision making factor.

I do not post this to slight revolvers;but when confronted with a gun purchase where it will be the last acquisition for several months, it is wise to consider what I term "The Clinton Rule";Put simply, when choosing between gun A and gun B which one is easier to acquire if the Assault Weapons Ban came back tomorrow. Bolt action rifles and revolvers will likely be unaffected, but semi automatic handguns and military long arms will be harder purchases to acquire , as will their magazines and accessories accordingly.

I came to this realization when I visited friends in Illinois who were enthused at shooting my PT99, but wished to wait until summer to buy their own weapons. I observed idly that with the legal status in Illinois such a weapon could be banned at any moment, much less six months into the future. 30 days after that conversation, a bill was
advanced in Illinois putting an Assault Weapons Ban up for consideration, to take effect this summer if its passed into law.

Applying the "Clinton Rule" to your purchase choices would weigh in favor of the 24/7. Mind, I do not suggest this to propose some sort of paranoid agenda but unlike High Definition TV's or a shiny stereo system firearms are the only consumer good which can be legal today and illegal tomorrow, and its a reality that should be reflected in how we purchase our weapons.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Super Moderator
35,022 Posts
When weighing the decision to buy a firearm, politics must be included in the decision making factor.

I do not post this to slight revolvers;but when confronted with a gun purchase where it will be the last acquisition for several months, it is wise to consider what I term "The Clinton Rule";Put simply, when choosing between gun A and gun B which one is easier to acquire if the Assault Weapons Ban came back tomorrow. Bolt action rifles and revolvers will likely be unaffected, but semi automatic handguns and military long arms will be harder purchases to acquire , as will their magazines and accessories accordingly.

I came to this realization when I visited friends in Illinois who were enthused at shooting my PT99, but wished to wait until summer to buy their own weapons. I observed idly that with the legal status in Illinois such a weapon could be banned at any moment, much less six months into the future. 30 days after that conversation, a bill was
advanced in Illinois putting an Assault Weapons Ban up for consideration, to take effect this summer if its passed into law.

Applying the "Clinton Rule" to your purchase choices would weigh in favor of the 24/7. Mind, I do not suggest this to propose some sort of paranoid agenda but unlike High Definition TV's or a shiny stereo system firearms are the only consumer good which can be legal today and illegal tomorrow, and its a reality that should be reflected in how we purchase our weapons.
One cannot predict the future. Besides, who's to say ALL handguns aren't outlawed in the next few years? Be a bummer if you had all these semi auto brass wasters and never got one revolver, wouldn't it? And, if they outlaw autos, how long do you think auto caliber ammo will be on the shelves or brass be available.

Just too many political what ifs to let what ifs rule your new gun purchase decision IMHO.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Are you more pistol savvy or so with a revolver?

I would normally go with the kind of gun you are most familiar with.
I'm in agreement with Quiks draw.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Semi Autos are awesome, but you have a large variety of manufacturers to choose from most of them producing fine weapons, a huge variety in design and in price. To me ironically they suffer from a little bit of redundancy in this respect, especially if you already have a few.

There are three main revolver manufacturers that I would buy from: Smith, Ruger and Taurus. The Taurus has the best price point and similar quality in many respects. 357 Revolvers are very versatile. You can shoot many types of ammo, carry, home defense, truck gun, range plinker, hot load blaster. They are just plain old FUN to own. Most of them feel great in the hand. You are not limited to one grip. They are usually super durable. I think this is where revolvers are great especially if you don't have one. I noticed that even though I have some fine semi autos the one firearm that stays on my bed side, in my truck and in my waste band is a revolver. I guess that makes me a revolver guy! LOL! My fixed site Taurus have always been pin point accurate, adjustable sites are great as well, but I probably wouldn't carry one with adjustable sites. I also prefer a three inch barrel max and am partial to snubbies in this respect.

·
Super Moderator
35,022 Posts
Magnum revolvers are very versatile, too. One theme I find with Taurus revolvers is extremely good accuracy. I've not fired one yet that wasn't amazingly accurate. My 4" Taurus 66 shoots 1" groups off a bench at 25 yards with it's favorite .38 and .357 magnum rounds and my 3" isn't far behind. It's why I've kept the 4"er and sold my Smith K frame (M19 4") and traded off my Ruger Security Six on a 6.5" Blackhawk (even swap, he wanted a DA and I wanted an accurate field single action revolver). Autos are RARELY as accurate as revolvers and, of course, normally aren't capable of containing the magnum cartridges, though 10mm is pretty much a .357 magnum ballistically.

My main concealed carry is an auto and I own a few other autos, but I really prefer revolvers for outdoor uses, hunting, hiking, and they are far from worthless as self defense firearms, of course. I carry my .38 UL a lot in a pocket as an alternative and I have the 3" 66 for carry on the belt or fanny pack. I prefer it to carrying my .45 ACP, actually, though the .45 is a fantastic gun, a very accurate Ruger KP90DC. I prefer the .357 magnum for the POWER, though. .45ACP seems like such a girly man's caliber by comparison. :D I've shot a lot of stuff, hogs, deer, with .357 and it hasn't failed me. Wounding is impressive, too. The power of that cartridge is more than just rumor.

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
I'm most accurate with my revolvers, but I have an equal number of each, with the last three years I have favored revolvers.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
One cannot predict the future. Besides, who's to say ALL handguns aren't outlawed in the next few years? Be a bummer if you had all these semi auto brass wasters and never got one revolver, wouldn't it? And, if they outlaw autos, how long do you think auto caliber ammo will be on the shelves or brass be available. Just too many political what ifs to let what ifs rule your new gun purchase decision IMHO.
Fortunately,gun control legislation follows a pattern.You are correct in that estimating what happens next can be very difficult,but based on the principle of "what has happened before will happen again" which weapons are more likely to face regulation in the future;Revolvers,8 round 1911s and large caliber bolt action rifles,Or handguns that ship with 10+ round magazines and small caliber military pattern long arms?In my review of the matter I have noticed that if a law is put up for consideration to restrict a certain category of arms the prices on the regulated weapons and acessories go up accordingly even if the moronic legislation is voted down .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts