Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,
My recently acquired Sig P238 filled that 'void' in my arsenal, but now I'm starting to get the itch again. While I may still get a PT738 (BUG) at some point, I do not consider it in the same category as my other two candidates: Taurus PT58HC, or the PT638PRO. While both have been discontinued, I'm leaning toward the PT58 due to greater availablity of mags, grips, accessories, etc., and it 'goes with' my PT92 & 917 style- wise. Then again, I just like the PT638 too.

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts / experiences, and which one you would choose. Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Before Moondawg, or some such other, says "Buy Both!:D", YES, I'll probably wind up with both, but just getting one for now. :D

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Are you interested in other brands? Bersa has some .380s in the same class as those you mentioned. Also, I have been looking at .380s myself, so there should be a fair bit of info from the last week or so in the other handguns and ammo sub forums.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Me...I'd go with the PT638, as it seems to be built on the Millennium Pro platform; and for the money, you just couldn't ask for a better pistol than a MilPro.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I own a PT58 HC. It's a BIG gun with the magazines supplied attached. The standard PT58 is a lot more concealable, and still holds 12+1. The magazines for the PT58 HC are expensive, running in the high $30 to low $40 range. You can find PT58 12 round mags much less expensively.

I do not own any of the other Taurus .380s, but have fired them at various venues. I like the PT58 series better than the others, but that's a personal preference.

As a note, PT58s are rated for all .380 ACP ammo, including those such as Buffalo Bores +P, and the hotter loadings from Fiocchi. In fact, none of the +P or standard .380 ACP ammunition has anything listed about the use of their ammo in such blow-back guns.

We also own a Bersa Thunder Deluxe, in .380. IN the past five years, it has proven reliable, accurate, and durable in operation with any .380 ammo fed it.

We own a Colt Government Model .380, one that's almost 30 years old, that has similarly been reliable, accurate, and durable. It, and it's sibling, the Mustang, were the basis for the Sig P238.

Depending upon hand-size, some of these may fit better than others. Try as many as possible BEFORE buying one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Are you interested in other brands? Bersa has some .380s in the same class as those you mentioned. Also, I have been looking at .380s myself, so there should be a fair bit of info from the last week or so in the other handguns and ammo sub forums.
I bought my wife the Bersa Thunder 380cc, and it has been wonderful. It has many features other 380s don't such as a thumb safety, slide lock, and decent sights. It's reliable, has great reviews (I started a thread in the "Other Handguns" forum with great feedback), and it's priced great!

·
32,481 Posts
If you want round count the PT58, PT138,and the 638 are the ways to go. The latter two are built on the Millennium frame and size which makes them excellent CCW carry guns. Haven't tried to hide a PT58HC. :)

Any of these can be the house gun as well. Just remember that the ammo one has with the gun is all one has for a defense scenario and at that the PT58HC excels at.

Beretta makes the 84/85 series (there is a 86 single stack, but it has a tip up barrel and no longer made) which are fine guns. The 85 holds 13 rounds +1 and the 85 has 8+1 rounds. 3.8 inch barrel

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Here's another wrench in the gears. A Beretta model 84 is a great option, too. 12+1 of .380 a.c.p. should get me clear of danger. I have one and would like to add a Beretta model 85 (single-stack) to the collection. My m84 is an old one. There are several Police turn ins on the Auction sites.
B.T.W. They are also Condition One Safe.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANKS for all the input. The gears are turning... I smell smoke. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sig P232...expensive, but world-class. :D

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
If you like the Beretta Model 84, there is a less expensive alternative. I bought an ATI MS380. It's Turkish clone of the Model 84. CDNN Sports has them now for $289.99. They have also run several week-end sales with the gun reduced in price, and shipping , by $10-15.

Mine is well fitted, quite accurate, uses the Model 84 magazines, and has been as reliable as a rock.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you like the Beretta Model 84, there is a less expensive alternative. I bought an ATI MS380. It's Turkish clone of the Model 84. CDNN Sports has them now for $289.99. They have also run several week-end sales with the gun reduced in price, and shipping , by $10-15.

Mine is well fitted, quite accurate, uses the Model 84 magazines, and has been as reliable as a rock.
I've only spent a little time looking at their guns, but can one order without personally holding an FFL??

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
You can order from them, but they ship to a local FFL, per federal law. I use a local Pawn Shop that charges $20.00.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can order from them, but they ship to a local FFL, per federal law. I use a local Pawn Shop that charges $20.00.
Thanks. I guess I might have misread something on the site, and was under the impression that you had to 'be' an FFL to order. I'll give them another look. I did see some good prices, and already have a great FFL on speed dial. :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts