Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the wife to the range today and she shot for he first time,Damn i was impressed wifey can shoot, She shota seacamp32 which she didnt like much then a 38 Sw 442 which she did like and that had a crimson laser. Then she shot a Pt 111 pro, next a Smith& Wesson M&P I was totally impressed considering she froze the first time i took her. she like the 38 revovler so i guess i'm gonna look to try out a Taurus85 and see how sh like it. She was so excited she signed up for the concealed class this evening,her paperwork done goes out Monday.

·
Super Moderator
21,738 Posts
Great for your wife I wish more women would try most that do are vary good shots. And find it comforting to know that they can equilize a fight :) by the way my youngest daughter now 22 is a natural and even from a young age has been a dead on shot. lets hear it for the ladies who chose not to be victims. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
My ex wife was a great shot. I taught her how to shoot, and she just got better and better. Downside was.....ever time we got in an argument, she'd get real quiet and just look me in the eye and say: "Do I need to go get my Glock"?
End of argument. ;D Be careful of what you ask for, you just might get it.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!!! very proud of her for overcoming her fears.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Great for her! I'm glad she enjoyed it. Shooting is a great sport and I'm glad she's getting her CCW you'll rest a little easier now that when she's out spending your money she's protected.

·
Administrator
35,577 Posts
Hey, glad to hear she liked the 38 !! That makes things easier for you, and that is a legit defense round, IMO. I'd much rather my wife have a 38 than a 32.....glad everything worked out !!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep it did tex thanks you and smoke and all that help with advice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used to teach a gun safety course, which involved live fire at the end. In almost all cases, the women shot better than the men.

I think the reasons are that women take instuction better than men, and men already think we know it all.

·
Administrator
40,287 Posts
I hate to admit it brian10x, but I agree. And women seem to have a higher level of concentration when it comes to something they want to do.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I think the reasons are that women take instuction better than men, and men already think we know it all.
lol... :D...I think this is very true...Plus they don't have all the bad shooting habits that we seem to pick up along the way ;)

orlandodriver ....
It is always fun to go shooting with your other half and it makes it easier to buy new toys cause they will like them as well :) :)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats so true db she now appreciating the toys now now she wants her own gun.i'm working on that too.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
orlandodriver said:
Thats so true db she now appreciating the toys now now she wants her own gun.i'm working on that too.
Careful, I bought my wife her first gun not more than 2 months ago, and she's already eyeing a new Sig!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Congrats to your wife for overcoming her anxity and signing up for conceled carry class!!!! I would love to see more women do this as to put the bad guys on notice we refuse to be victims any longer!! And yes, this is an infection!! Got my eye on a 1911 right now!! Jony better look out!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
dbsoundguy said:
lol... :D...I think this is very true...Plus they don't have all the bad shooting habits that we seem to pick up along the way ;)

orlandodriver ....
It is always fun to go shooting with your other half and it makes it easier to buy new toys cause they will like them as well :) :)
dbsoundguy said:

Bad shooting habits? Heck, most of us macho REAL men lernt all we need ta know watchin' Dirty Harry!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wish my wife would be open to considering carrying because i worry about her. I have gotten her to the range but she hates the noise and smell of the gunpowder.

She used to want a gun before we got married, but suddenly became anti-gun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I LOVE tutoring anti-gun people. If I can trick or coerce them into a session, and I know they are a tough nut to crack, I grab a variety of .22s and all the fun targets I can find.

Fortunately, I live in Arizona, where I can shoot all alone in the desert.

I drive to my favorite spot in the desert.
After my lesson in gun safety, I'll set up balloons (water and air) not too far down range. I also have steel reactive tarkets. Tape a few Ritz crackers to them. maybe some old fruit if I have some.

Once I'm confident in their safety practices, I load up the gun of their choosing. (I do all the hard work, I'm trying to re-inforce the idea of GUNS=FUN.)

In the beginning, I lay off the heavy marksmanship training. 22s are cheap, let them miss a few times.

Then it happens. The first balloon pops, or the first reactive target spins, a cracker is vaporized.

Gotcha! Fun, ain't it? Safe, fun.

Once they start to (sometimes grudgingly) warm up to the idea guns aren't always bad, I have my foot in the door. Remember, these aren't your average person. These are ANTIS.

Once my foot is in the door, it becomes more difficult. Too much information, too much political discussion, will just turn them off. I stay with 22s, but offer them the choice of firing another type of gun IF THEY WANT. There is no way I will let a new shooter (esp. an ANTI) shoot a .44, 10mm, or even a .45 on the first session. No political or 2nd ammendment discussion, unless they initiate it.

But I always make a determined effort to get them to a 2nd session. This can be harder then the first session, because they sometimes think they know it all at this point.

If I can coerce them into a second session, I can complete the transformation from ANTI gun to at the very least neutral. More fun, but with some education slipped in. As fear goes away, curiosity increases.

In EVERY case (so far) I'll get the question "Do you have Glock?" or "I'd like to shoot a 9mm". Once we get there, its the point of no return. I gotcha!

Key points: FUN FUN FUN. If they aren't having fun your job is much more difficult, if not impossible. Be FRIENDLY! Save the diatribe about gun banning leftists for another day! Save the political rant on assault (so called) rifles and hi-caps for the future! Fun, friendly, low pressure. Works like MAGIC. Leave your macho alter-ego at HOME!

·
Registered
84 Posts
lol that does sound like a fun way to learn.

My wife learned at a smoky indoor range on paper targets with a Taurus 66. I think the environment was more of a turn off than the shooting. She did put about 60 rounds of 38 special +p and 357 mag down the range and enjoyed the target shooting.

She has personally as far as the "security" aspect gotten comfortable with the idea of having access to a gun in an emergency situation. And i do not think she would be hesistant to run for one of my guns at home in the event of a burgulary or shots fired type situation.

i had to arm her with pepper spray because she joined a church in a pretty crime ridden location, which is in the middle of a large open former strip mall. She often goes alone to womens programs at night or bible study. And there have been a couple of recent incidents with drunks entering the church and starting a ruckus or pestering members in the parking lot.

·
Administrator
35,577 Posts
Moral to that story - they don't change AFTER marriage, just like we don't. Make them do it before. :)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
My wife will usually shoot 1 round through 1 of my guns when she goes to the range with me. I need to get a .22 for her because she doesn't like the recoil of the bigger calibers.

I was at the range Saturday and a man was there with his daughter and she was shooting .38spl and .45acp. Boy I could tell he was a proud father. He told me that she is getting her carry permit too. I hope when I have kids they take an interest in shooting too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
My wife will usually shoot 1 round through 1 of my guns when she goes to the range with me. I need to get a .22 for her because she doesn't like the recoil of the bigger calibers.

I was at the range Saturday and a man was there with his daughter and she was shooting .38spl and .45acp. Boy I could tell he was a proud father. He told me that she is getting her carry permit too. I hope when I have kids they take an interest in shooting too.
I don't have any kids, but a friend of mine has a 13 year old daughter interested in law inforcement and guns, already shoots like and instructor and has her eyes on a mid sized .40S&W.

Thats bringing them up right!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts