Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped my Bushmaster xm 15 es2 to a friend for his DPMS h-bar flat top. So, yesterday I took it out with a handful of rounds I had around. I set of a target @25 yards and bang bang bang. NO HOLES IN THE PAPER =). Oh well I said I'll adjust the Irons. I turned the rear all the way down and repeated the process. Still no holes in the paper. So I start Turning the front post up Bang bang bang . Can you guess how it went that time? Same I am going to get a shorter front post. Now I have another excuse to burn some more powder. Life is good.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle! One of the nice things about AR15's is that you can remove the upper, lay it on some sandbags, and look right down the bore. You can bore sight irons in the same way you bore sight scopes. Just lay the upper on some sand bags, and find a 'target' that you can see through the bore. Without touching the upper, check your iron sights - if they're not looking in the same place as the bore, adjust them. You're not going to be able make the adjustments without moving the upper, so you'll have to move the sights a bit, then re-bore sight and recheck the irons. You can easily get your rounds on the paper without firing a shot that way, and then all you have to do is fine tune the adjustment with ammo. JAT

·
Registered
24,850 Posts
My DPMS is my little friend

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Are you sure that way is as much fun as missing the paper
Positive. I can't think of many things that are as frustrating as trying to figure out where your rounds are going by watching them hit dirt. The dirt doesn't always fly in the spot where the bullet hits. Josh brings up a good point about big paper too - with an AR I usually use nine 8 1/2" X 11" targets stapled close together when I'm first zeroing sights - but I also have to set the targets a hundred yards away, so the bigger paper comes in real handy. I start out shooting at the center target - after I've bore sighted. Once you can find your bullet holes, the rest is easy.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dbear I appreciate the sound advice. I was just having a little fun with the "missing paper" remark. I have the rear sight all the way down and the front one all the way up so a shorter front post is in order.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
dbear I appreciate the sound advice. I was just having a little fun with the "missing paper" remark. I have the rear sight all the way down and the front one all the way up so a shorter front post is in order.
I'm wondering if you've got the right irons on it. They come in different heights to accommodate different gas block/picatinny rail configurations and for different co-witnesses with optics, and the fronts and rears need to be compatible. Got any pics?

·
Super Moderator
20,010 Posts
Hallelujah and a big AMEN on that one Preacher. Got a DPMS and its definitely a shooter and a keeper!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats on the new rifle! One of the nice things about AR15's is that you can remove the upper, lay it on some sandbags, and look right down the bore. You can bore sight irons in the same way you bore sight scopes. Just lay the upper on some sand bags, and find a 'target' that you can see through the bore. Without touching the upper, check your iron sights - if they're not looking in the same place as the bore, adjust them. You're not going to be able make the adjustments without moving the upper, so you'll have to move the sights a bit, then re-bore sight and recheck the irons. You can easily get your rounds on the paper without firing a shot that way, and then all you have to do is fine tune the adjustment with ammo. JAT
Never tried this technique before... thanks for the tidbit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts