Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my wife to the range today. She hasn't shot in over 18 years. At first she was timid again and shooting way high but by the end I had her consistently on the target at about 12-15 feet in single action only. With more practice she will be back in the groove again. I think I have awakened the monster. On the way home I stopped at the LGS to get some more 38 special ammo and she started eyeballing a couple of 357s.

I can say she did try and shoot everything I had with me today, 38 special, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and the Judge in 45 Longcolt. She also eyeballed a new Judge but it was the poly framed one. If she wants one of those I am trying to convince her to go for a SS or Steel one in order to minimize the recoil.:)

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
It appears that you and the missus had one fine day together.

You are a lucky man to have a wife who will accompany you to the range.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congrats on what sounds like a great day....happy shooting.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
It's good your wife is learning how to use something that might save her life someday. Good for the both of you.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's good your wife is learning how to use something that might save her life someday. Good for the both of you.
That is the reason I purchased my 38 special in the first place, years ago there was a serial rapist going around Charleston SC and with me being in the Navy and gone a lot. I figured that if he should try and get into my house then at least she had a chance to be safe. After that we moved to New Jersey where the word guns is a four letter word so we did not shoot while living there. Now that we are in New Mexico it is much friendlier to the lead throwers we are getting back into shooting.

After the wife gets back on track I will work on my daughter and son.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
527 Posts
Congrats. My wife can't will Thursday when we go to the NRA Basic Pistol Course. So I agree with it being a great thing to the awakening of the monster. :)

·
32,577 Posts
Kudos and congratulations are in order for you and your wife!
The .38 Special is a great round anytime, but a excellent one for those who want something around, but are not into shooting as much as some of us.

With the Rossi 851 and the Taurus 82 in .38 Special being the budget level guns these will protect and be user friendly to anyone.

There's nothing wrong with a .357 magnum is one can master the power. That's not as hard as it may seem for most with the right proper shooting techniques to be able to control the muzzle flip and recoil. .357s can cause flinch in a lot of shooters though.

The big bores give a shove, but are not punishing. Lightweight guns? That's a whole different kettle of fish.

Even the 3" inch barreled .44 Special is mild.

The .40 and .45s are great cartridges,too.

But then you know that all already. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just got a reminder email about the Basic Pistol class we are attending. Out of the 8 people in the class 5 are women. It is good to see the interest of women in learning to shoot and be safe.

·
Administrator
39,924 Posts
My wife can handle a handgun, I've seen to that. She just doesn't have an interest in shooting. On the rare occassions, she goes to the range with me, she picks up my brass for me. That's pretty nice. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts