Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My second time here in MO. Different LGS this time however.

Went thru the store I just purchased my new pistol and rifle from. Much better class, more comprehensive and actually as per law this time. An actual paper test not a paper with three obvious wrong answers and the right one in slightly darker ink.

We also had to shot both semi and revolver as per the law this time. Dang range had a few lights out and I could not see the front sight. Just made a 2 1/2 inch group center mass.

Now to submit the paperwork and I should have the CCW in 2-4 weeks.

Instructors were both former military and LEO and still work within the LEO field in fact. Managed to ask for input from the students without allowing class to fall apart into story time.

Sarge

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Is this a renewal? If so, shouldn't the process be faster?

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Congratulations!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here in Wisconsin it's just a 4 hour class not even a test. No shooting time but I think there should be due to some of the questions being asked. I don't see any misuse but with the knuckleheads out there it's only a matter of time.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Good job!

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Congrats.. Carry On..

·
Registered
31,903 Posts
Good job Sarge.....considering the area you live in, I'd be carrying a full auto Uzi!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Here in Georgia, we don't have to take a class to exercise a constitutional right. No class to select your church, no class to carry a gun.

Reactions: john_bud

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Congrats on taking it.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Congrats! Did you never apply the first time or do you have to take the class for renewals?

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Excellent!

·
Registered
24,602 Posts
Very good. Carry on.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Nicely done.

Where you at? I grew up in the Overland and St Ann area near the airport.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had the permit before but had to allow it expire due to a severe lack of funds. It process is supposedly different now as before the Department of Revenue ran it and the DMV printed the permit card. But it was caught in an audit by the IRS as a rather large invasion of privacy. The DMV has no need to know who has the permit and who does not. Plus our DMV offices are privately owned if I remember correctly. Now the sheriffs run it. In real life it feels no different as the classes are about the same and the county cops still do the background check.

Heck the prices really didn't change here. Some sheriffs were charging $300-500 for the paperwork so they added a law to restrict it to now more than $100. My class was one of the cheaper at $100 (plus a $25 off coupon to bring it to $75). No law on class cost tho. Same place does an advanced class for $150 which I would love to take.

Jake, the only seat open when I got to the county cops place today to do my background check was close to the counter. Hence I could hear without trying or even wishing where everyone was from. 3 out of every 4 or 5 were from Ferguson. If those "peaceful protesters" try anything with a regular citizen there now the cops will be there to put the toe tag on after the citizen defends themselves.

Part of me agrees we shouldn't need a permit for such a thing BUT I also know an idiot who illegally carries and he is a darned good reason to have classes. He is arrogant, easily angered, frequently drunk and up on felony charges. He got drunk and drove his truck into a bank. It has not gone to court yet. This idiot permits his girlfriends 2 year old son to play with his pistol while holstered.

He has no clue on concealment either as he insists on wearing skin tight t-shirts over the pistol making it stand out as clear as day. But there is no law concerning that as we are an open carry state. Supposedly he pulled the pistol on some gent one night while drunk as well.

Sarge

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
In my class some dummy kept trying to ask the instructor how to go about getting guns back from the Sheriffs Department that were confiscated due to something his son did.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL!! We had no one that bad. We did have twin brothers who became very upset when it was explained to not use handloads for self defence.

Oh and a few folks who thought AR stood for assault rifle. Couldn't help it and crawled right up on my soap box and proceeded to give the Marine Corps explanation (shoulder fired, magazine fed, etc....). Which brought up the what is a real battlerifle discussion. Then 5 minutes later back up on the box for clip vs magazine. Even explained one theory for the term magazine; in the military a bunker used to store explosives and ammo is a magazine and a rifle or pistol magazine in essence stores the rounds.

All in all a fun class.

Sarge

1 - 20 of 23 Posts