Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to the range and put 200 rounds of various types of ammo through it. I was very impressed! Used factory loads to sight it in and its zeroed in at 20 ft. The rear sight adjusted easily. At 40 feet the spread widened out but that's expected. At 30 feet held a good pattern of 4". At 10 feet under an inch. No surprise there. Now went to reloads from the local dealer and everything changed! Rounds went everywhere! No matter what the range the spread was 6" or more. Some missed the target completely! The moral of the story stick to reliable factory loads!
I only had one misfire and the handy double action feature worked perfectly! The second try and the round fired. No feed or ejection problems even with a full mag.
One problem pinched my pinky twice loading a new mag. I have a large hand.
Now if they could take care of the magazine shortage problem and this would be a great weapon! Two mags suck! Four or six much better!
Coyotedave

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your 709! Mine has been flawless. I even used it to qualify for my CCL.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Good to hear. Mines been flawless as well, with many different types of ammo. steel, aluminum, brass, Nylon bullets. It eats everything.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Congrats on your 709! I like mine too!

As for the magazine thing...be patient. The magazines seem to come in waves once or twice a year. Put a order in with Taurus and check a few of the online stores frequently. Back a year or so I was able to find 2 at my LGS for someone on here that was not able to find any, so check your LGS too. I agree it is kind of a pain just to find magazines.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Sounds like a decent range trip. I would question the person who reloads those cartridges you got, sounds like an under sized bullet was used. Where the FMJ or LRN?

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
Congratulations on the great outing! Enjoy your new gun often !

·
Registered
24,806 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like you had some fun.

·
Registered
412 Posts
"Now if they could take care of the magazine shortage problem and this would be a great weapon! Two mags suck! Four or six much better!"

I ordered two mags from Taurus in May. It took 12 weeks to receive them. Taurus told me that they get shipments in at the end of the month, then fill orders in the order that they were received. I bought two from another online source, but haven't had any luck with them since. I have five now. I'm going to leave it there for now. :unsure:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Those reloads may be "hot" and causing the gun to "jump" a lot. I shoot reloaded FMJ's I get from a friend of mine and they work great. The 709 is a more snappy than my PT111. My grandson has great fun when I "exersize" my pistols. :D Enjoy and try a tighter grip on the reloads.

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Congratulations on your PT709 and having a good day at the range with it! :cool:

Mine has also been flawless and has fed and fired every kind of 9mm bullet shape without issue. My 9mm Match Reloads have also been flawless and accurate, so I can't speak to your Gun Shops reloads. I used to reload for a Gun Shop and I would have been verbally roasted if I had turned out junk ammo. Someone NEEDS to do some serious load development and maybe change Bullet sources, pronto!

Also, for Large handed shooters, I recommend and use the Pearce Magazine Extensions, as shown on my PT709, below.
I also use a Hogue Handall Jr Grip Sleeve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts