Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
35,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The eagerly awaited gun range test for my brand new 24/7 Pro in 45 cal.....I have the newer magazines so I wasn't real worried. First, the positives:

1. great feel in my hand
2. nice site profile - shoots a bit low and to the left of point of aim but not bad at all
3. ergonomic feel reduces even heavy recoil

Now, the problems.....I ran a total of about 250 rounds through it and at the beginning I was having jams - mainly stovepipes and I even had a couple of unspent rounds stovepipe. Then, things settled down a bit, and the main problem I was having was a couple of failure to feeds - i had to pull back slightly on the slide to get the round to come up far enough to strip it off the mag, then release the slide - then continue shooting. This settled down even more,to where I was only having the FTF problem on the last round in the mag - but not every time. Toward the end, it seemed to be feeding perfectly, for the most part. Coincidentally, or maybe not, I was using Winchester green box for most of the session, then PMC toward the end. With the exception of some old hollowpoint ammo I wanted to use up (about 12 rounds), all ammo used was 230 gr hardball.

The only other thing I noticed was that I have to slap the magazine into the mag well pretty stoutly - and about 1/3 of the time, immediately after smacking the mag into the well, the slide would move forward and load the first round without my pressing on the slide release.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.....if you have experience with any of these problems, let me know what you did to resolve them....thanks !!!!

·
Administrator
35,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've NEVER heard anything like that.....but I'll keep that in mind....of course now that I've run 250 rounds through it, I'll be cleaning it real good..... :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
I took mine out Sunday and sprayed it with Bore Scrubber to get that junk out of there before heading to the range.
I put 200 down the pipe without a FTF.
Mine's a 45ACP as well and I used Blaser brass ammo...
It was the same price as WWB...

God Bless,
Doc S

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also noticed that when i load my mag full with 10 rounds (Cali) it is VERY tight to get the last round in the mag. Then it also requires a good slap to get the mag up properly. If I go 1 round short, 9, it doesnt require that slap. I am guessing when the mag springs give a bit it will be easier. My first few loadings where tight. I was only putting in 4-5 rounds at a time, then I noticed the spring was making it easier to put rounds in mag.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also noticed this, but forgot to mention it in my post...

I also shot low and to the left using the stock Heinie 8 sights...

God Bless,
Doc S

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
prickett said:
Did you clean it before taking it out? Usually they have preservative grease on them that should be removed first.
i heard about this but i did not know you had to clean it first.i thought all you had to do was add a little oil

·
Registered
8 Posts
the 24/7 pro .45 have had some magazine problems. If the FTF continues you may want to send off your mags for the replacement ones from Taurus. most 24/7's shoot low and to the left they are sighted for 20-25 yards so you will need to put the dot just slightly above your target and slide that rear sight all the way right and you will hit it dead on every time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
had a few ftf problems with mine the first time. none since. been puuting 230 grn remington fmj thru it. ( about 15 bucks per 50 at walmart) i did however put a few clips of federal loaded hydra shoks thru it to check for and problems because thats what i keep in the nigtstand. had no problems what so ever. guns been working like a champ ever since the first clip.

·
Administrator
35,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have cleaned my 24/7 45 cal thoroughly, and I'm ready to go back to the range this week. The feed ramp absolutely glistens, it's so shiny. I will check back in and let you know how the weapon is firing......

·
Registered
325 Posts
try some hollowpoints. i put a clip in when i first got to the range. i wanted the gun to be cold with a fresh clip, just like the nightstand. everything seems to work a little better after a few clips. the heat brings the monster to life. could just be the excitment from shooting causing me to not notice any problems. def try the hp's with the gun cold to simulate how it would work during a break-in at your house...god forbid.

·
Administrator
35,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to the outdoor range today, was so beautiful outside and figured it was as good a day as any to try again. I ran a few hundred rounds through my 24/7 45 cal, including:

Winchester 230 white box hollowpoints
Winchester 230 white box target
Glazer 230 gr target
PMC Starfire 165 grain hp
Gold Dot 200 gr hp
Corbon 165 gr +P hp

As stated before, i thoroughly cleaned my gun after the last range time. This time, i only had ONE failure to load, and this one my have been explainable. After the initial "oh no" moment, I dropped the mag and looked at the submarined round - and the hollowpoint cavity wasn't round, it looked more like a 3/4 moon. I don't know if this was the problem or not, but I didn't have another FTF or FTL at all !! Needless to say, I feel MUCH better about my 24/7 now. It is a fine weapon and, although I still have about 1500 more rounds to put through it before I totally green-light it, I have a feeling that I made a great decision for my new house weapon.

Lancer_45, I owe you a Texas sized apology - I was leary about a simple cleaning being the problem, but as you said, there is a LOT of shipping grease in the weapon, more than I would have initially realized if I hadn't made this post. Thanks everybody !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also love my 24/7 pro .45 acp

I cleaned it thoroughly with all those grease sticiking in there.

Last week took it the range put 150 rounds of mixed loads not a single problem. I did something on my magazines - disassemble it and file all the inside of the mags that comes in contact with the plastic follower and also file all the edges on my followers - till then " NEVER HAVE A SINGLE PROBLEM " ...this is my carry gun and my best .45 I've ever had and cheap too $319.00 NIB... I also have a Kimber Ultra carry - bulky and only have half the capacity to my Taurus, so is my mil spec springfield 1911...so yeah my Taurus ROCKS them all....my excellent buy so far.

B-safe and good shooting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts