Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was able to get to the range to run some ammo through my newly upgraded 10/22.

Just to give you a quick refresher on what I did to my 10/22 - she got a new Green Mountain 20" bull barrel, Ruger BX Trigger, Archangel Precision Stock, Pride Fowler 3-12X42 FFP Scope and a cheap bi-pod.

Well depending on the ammo I was using she ran great. She really didn't like the Aguila Super Extra HV.

I don't have a spotting scope so I had to do a lot of walking out to the target to see how I was doing. I've also never shot with a scope so it was a learning experience for me.

I'm close to having her all dialed in but I definitely need more work with using a scope.

This is my last target for the day. The bottom left target is my last one. That was shot with CCI 36gr HP's. All my shooting was done at 50 yards. As I get more comfortable with shooting through a scope I plan on going out to about 125 yards with her.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
If I may recommend something for you... in the stock configuration your Ruger 10/22 has a steel Bolt which on recoil contacts a steel buffer. It is not actually a buffer but more of a bolt stop.

If you replace the Steel part with a synthetic buffer you will personally see a big difference when you shoot the gun. Steel on Steel results in a noise and actually contributes to the 1022 recoil slight as it may be. Replacing the buffer will make the action smoother and quieter.

My preferred replacement buffer is called a tuffer buffer and they are made in Canada. At one time I was buying them in bulk a dozen buffers at a time. I have not purchased any in awhile but the last time I bought some I think they were five or six dollars four five of them or you could just simply by one at a time. If you look at your receiver you will see a round steel pin it goes from side to side behind the bolt. To make the change you simply knock out the pin, wet the replacement buffer and insert through the holes. It's a very simple job and the buffer stays in place with no problem. You do not need to break down the receiver or remove the bolt.

This will not improve your accuracy or add to the appearance of the rifle. It simply makes it quieter and more fun for you shooting it.

Don

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I may recommend something for you... in the stock configuration your Ruger 10/22 has a steel Bolt which on recoil contacts a steel buffer. It is not actually a buffer but more of a bolt stop.

If you replace the Steel part with a synthetic buffer you will personally see a big difference when you shoot the gun. Steel on Steel results in a noise and actually contributes to the 1022 recoil slight as it may be. Replacing the buffer will make the action smoother and quieter.

My preferred replacement buffer is called a tuffer buffer and they are made in Canada. At one time I was buying them in bulk a dozen buffers at a time. I have not purchased any in awhile but the last time I bought some I think they were five or six dollars four five of them or you could just simply by one at a time. If you look at your receiver you will see a round steel pin it goes from side to side behind the bolt. To make the change you simply knock out the pin, wet the replacement buffer and insert through the holes. It's a very simple job and the buffer stays in place with no problem. You do not need to break down the receiver or remove the bolt.

This will not improve your accuracy or add to the appearance of the rifle. It simply makes it quieter and more fun for you shooting it.

Don
Promag/Archangel provided me one free of charge with the stock. They also included an extended magazine release free of charge. Or included in the price; however you want to look at it.

Here's a picture of the one they provide with their stock. Seeing as you've bought multiple ones; what is the average life of this little buffer?

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I have never had to replace one nor have I ever heard anyone else having to replace one. Your new buffer look just like the tuffer buffer that I have been using. The only difference I can see is yours is orange and the tuffer buffer is a shade of Darker blue. You don't notice the blue one after you've replaced it but I wonder if the orange color shows through with your new one

Don

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never had to replace one nor have I ever heard anyone else having to replace one. Your new buffer look just like the tuffer buffer that I have been using. The only difference I can see is yours is orange and the tuffer buffer is a shade of Darker blue. You don't notice the blue one after you've replaced it but I wonder if the orange color shows through with your new one

Don
Yeah, when you pull the action out of the stock you will definitely notice it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts