Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took a buddy and his wife to our farm to get a Christmas tree. He asked if he could bring his old Rossi 38 and let his wife shoot it, since she has never shot a gun. So we determined she is left eye dominant, and actually has more strength in her left hand, even though she is right handed. So we determined she should shoot left handed. After teaching her how to use the sights, which are almost non existent, and some dry firing, we loaded her up some wadcutters. She was shooting at about 10 yards, maybe 12, and cranked them off. She can barely pull the trigger double action, without using both index fingers. And her hands are tiny, so reaching the hammer to cock it without changing grip was a chore. But she tore it up. She didn't flinch much, and put 5 shots within probably 8-10" of her aiming point on a piece of old plastic sign. I was pretty amazed she did so good, and didn't seem to intimidated. After shooting 3 cylinders full, I put 2 9mm in my xdm for her to try. She liked the trigger much better than the DA revolver, but she didn't hit as well with it. She had fun, and now knows what to expect if she ever has to handle unwanted visitors to her house.

I'm going to try to find a lighter hammer spring for it and see how that works for her. If not, her husband mentioned buying something else for her if she wants.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Excellent! It's always great to see a first time shooter find what suits them best.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Sounds like a successful first outing. Way to go!

Interesting you mentioned her inability to pull the trigger in DA. A few weeks ago I took some newbies to the range. The wife was not able to pull the trigger on my PX4 when it was in DA. I wonder if it was just her or maybe something that could occur often.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Good job spending some time with her, hope she gets some more practice in now that she knows what it is about.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Taking new shooters to the range is one of my favorite things to do. Excellent work!

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Nothing like turning on a friend to shooting. Next thing you know, they will be asking you to help them select new firearms.

·
Registered
14,651 Posts
Teach them right the first time and the basics will stick. In 10 years, even if she never shoots a firearm again, you could hand her a revolver and she will remember the right way to grip, the right way to hold and none of the bad habits. Thank you for giving her a proper foundation to work with.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Sounds like a good time to me! I hope she continues to discover the joys of shooting.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Yeah, bring them on. I'll be taking my newbie bud and his lady to the range again this week.
As far as the weak hand goes, here's a drummer trick. Get a small rubber ball and tell her to squeeze it while watching the tube or otherwise being not busy. A tennis ball will be too big and too hard. Thumbs, too.
BTW, I had a pair of Rossi m68's and they were fun shooters.

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share our sport.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Encourage your friend to get his wife a new gun...one that she can call her own and more than likely we will have a new member of the community.

Good work on your part letting them shot with you on your property.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Very good. We ought to all be teaching newbies to shoot!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Instead of changing her master grip on the gun to cock the hammer, use the off hand's thumb to ear the hammer back. Two hand CAS shooters have been doing it for years and it can be done REAL fast. One hand cocks the hammer and the other pulls the trigger so there's no reason to change the shooting grip on the gun. Just get her into the habit of putting her thumb back down into place before breaking the shot for additional support. The proper series of movements should be thumb up to hammer, hammer back to full cock, thumb back down with the shooting thumb, and THEN pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Reactions: Sekol and leejack

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Good job!

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Instead of changing her master grip on the gun to cock the hammer, use the off hand's thumb to ear the hammer back. Two hand CAS shooters have been doing it for years and it can be done REAL fast. One hand cocks the hammer and the other pulls the trigger so there's no reason to change the shooting grip on the gun. Just get her into the habit of putting her thumb back down into place before breaking the shot for additional support. The proper series of movements should be thumb up to hammer, hammer back to full cock, thumb back down with the shooting thumb, and THEN pulling the trigger.

We did that and her hands are so small she could barely reach the hammer with her support thumb. And this Rossi has fairly small wooden grips on it.

Btw, my buddy said she had a good time.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
That's great! You took the time to teach her before using live rounds. So people will talk to them then let them go shooting. They both learned something through you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts