Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 year old girlfriend's son to range.He had a "BLAST".We shot the 24/7.Tracker 44 mag,and a ruger 10/22 with 2 30 round clips.He had never shot a firearm before.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Very Cool!!! It's always fun to start out a new person on the path to the addiction (firearms).

Steelheart

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 10/22 was his favorite.He really got to spray some lead with it. I kinda liked it to.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
He looks like he's having a good time. I look forward to the day I get to teach my little one (still in the oven) about firearms. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The whole is result of some kind of photo editing the girlfriend uses.For anyone interested there is a great free photo editing software called "PICASA", http://picasa.google.com/ ,is the address.To be free it's pretty cool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i cant wait to take my kids to the range. its some years off as they are young. but my daughter is already learning about gun safety and cleaning, she is 5 years old. she can already name the parts of a field strip pistol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took my daughter's new boyfriend to the range last Friday - great way to talk with him about my daughter - and a great way to show him my marksmanship. ;D

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
LOL ... If I have a little girl (we find out Wednesday), I'm gonna have to remember this one for sure!

·
32,531 Posts
It's great the way the watch and learn with rapt attention and absorb everything. Taught my kids about how a cartridge works with a little game. We played a game of one person was the primer,one the powder and case, and one was the bullet. Showed them how the primer going off set off the powder and shoved the bullet out of the case. Each one of us got to be the different components and got to gently shove one another as the reaction was supposed to be taking place. This was when they were 5 and 6 years old. Then the air pistol came out and a large soap bar was shot with a pellet. The hole was going through and out the other side was impressive. I told them that was what a bullet could do under the right circumstances. Their eyes went wide and I never had a problem with any unauthorized use of the firearms. I also let them touch and feel each gun and showed them the operation of each pistol and revolver. Curiousity being satisfied they left the guns alone. All firearms were locked away for safety purposes of course. Taught them the Eddy Eagle don't touch and tell an adult approach. Some thing similar anyway.Both are know responsible shooters in their own right. Have to think like a kid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was very happy to take my 15-year-old nephew to the range for the first time a couple months ago. He had never fired a gun of any sort before, and in my opinion it was well past time he got started.
His dad (my brother) had kept him away from guns until lately (ADHD), even air guns and paintball, but we both agreed that it would only be a matter of time before he encountered a gun somewhere in his travels, and that everyone would be a lot safer if he knew how to handle himself that day.

It'm grateful for the opportunity to teach a future adult about safe gun handling, good shooting technique, and how to have a good time without getting hurt or endangering others. With luck, he will pass on this knowledge to others.

Also scared some respect for the weapons into him with some grisly gun accident anecdotes, my favorite being my gun-savvy hunter schoolmate who fatally shot himself through the heart because he "knew" the .357mag wasn't loaded (true) and how it would never have happened had he been following safe gun-handling rules.

Started him off on a Ruger 10/22 carbine for maybe a hundred rounds, then moved to a Browning Buckmark .22 automatic pistol, which he loved shooting. He did great, followed the rules without question, and was annoyingly accurate after just a few rounds. Beginner's luck and brand-new eyes.

Each time, if he remembers what I've taught him, I'll let him handle progressively bigger stuff. If he keeps up with it I'll give him the Browning for his 18th birthday, it'll make a nice start to his collection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started my kids off with guns a few years back. My daughter was 10 and my son 7, we began with a Ruger Super Single Six .22 and a 10/22. They both had a great time.

Now, 8 years later, my daughter will still shoot the 10/22 and some of the handguns. My son on the other hand looks forward to shooting all of my guns as we slowing work our way through introducing him to them all. He asks me to show him the features of each new gun I get, how to clear them, the safeties, mag. and cylinder releases, and all the particulars of the ammo each uses.

Last month we invited my older brother to shoot with us. He hasn't shot in years and that was a shotgun for dove hunting. We took 2 handguns and 2 riflles. The Taurus 9mm, PT92 and a Glock model 27 in .40.
The long guns were a 20" AR15 rifle and a PTR 91 .308.

My son has shot the 9mm and the AR before, so he asked if he could show my brother the features of each. He did a pretty good job, and he made a point of the safe handling of each, always assume the gun is loaded, finger off the trigger til ready to fire, keeping it pointed down range, and knowing your target when ready to fire. When the range officer called cease fires, my son explained to clear the guns, place them on the bench pointed down range, and to step behind the red line while targets were replaced.

Watching my 15 year old son instruct my 42 year brother on the guns we were shooting made me damn proud, now if only he maintains the same discipline in his school work, I will be doubley proud (he's getting there).

Pass along your knowledge and enjoyment of firearms to someone young, everyone benefits.

Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd love to take my daughter, however, she has less than no interest. She's not anti- in the political sense, but has no desire to have anything to do with guns herself. Personally, I think she's scared of them, whether of the noise, the violence involved, or something else, I don't know, but I DO know enough to not try to push her or risk pushing her farther away, possibly even into political activism against us.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah don't do that there's enough of them already, I take my 16 year old brother shooting. He has an old bolt action 22 that shoots the balls off of a fly at 50 yards I love shootong that gun. He shoots my 22, pt 92, shotgun, my friends Ak 47, shotgun, 45, and highpoint 9mm rifle as well as dear hunting with his friends. I just hope he learns my love for accuracy as well as my gun safety.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Took my grandson to the range for the first time when he was eight, he is ten now. But I will never forget that first time. I let him use a single shot bolt action 22, an old marlin very accurate the one his dad and uncle learned on. I gave him a box of 550 federal 22s put him behind a rifle support bench and watched him shoot and grin as he shot down the steel silouette targets. He went through the entire box of 550 rounds. He is just a natural marksman hardly missing a shot. I'm glad to say we are still shooting buddies today. His tastes have gone to revolvers and the ruger 10/22. Any time we go it is time well spent.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thats cool I also have a newer marlin, most accurate gun I have ever shot, I don't think a blind monkey could miss with it. I love it to death.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I've never had a kid to take to the range to give instruction to but I have shown a few adults the ins and outs of gun safety before introducing them to the joys of shooting. Sadly it wasn't for my best friend's cousin who also happens to be my friend. He shot my PT92 once after going though all dos and don'ts and it just wasn't for him. In fact, I think the experience scared him a little.

Thankfully others I've introduced to firearms and shooting didn't feel the same as this particular friend. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been showing my 7yo son my 24/7 since day one. He has learned the basics of gun safety but has not yet been to the range. He likes to watch me clean the gun and knows that it's a real weapon and not a toy. He really wants to go to shoot but a 40 would be too much right now. I'll start him off with something smaller in a year or so.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts