Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Around here,on the Oregon coast those of us who live in the Country fight an endless battle against the forces of nature. For nine months the endless rainforest grows and creeps where it doesn't belong. This includes the blackberries. While I was able to put up 48 jars of jam last summer they come for payback.

We got a weather break last week an we have had clear and cold mornings with sunshine all day. I decided to attack the problem now so I don't spend the summer doing it. I hired a guy to help and, as luck would have it, found a deal on a used "DR Brush trimmer"

We have started when full Sun hits the bottom of our valley, about ten and run until it goes behind the hills, about four thirty. Straight through to use every minute.

Seven days of this is taking a toll. I think it's time to take a day off. Maybe set up some targets, make some loud noises, create some reloadable brass.

What say the forum, will you folks write a not to SWMBO so I can have a day off ?

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Well - was SWMBO right there beside you?!?! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
13,828 Posts
I understand what you're describing, westcoast. I was born and raised in the area north of Bellingham. People who don't live in the Pacific Northwest cannot comprehend the tenacity of wild blackberries. I, also, love harvesting the berries in the fall (note to rookie blackberry pickers: wear a long-sleeved shirt that you do NOT want to keep). But, unless you have livestock and/or farm equipment to keep them under control, those hook-laden bushes will take over entire farms. I've seen it happen.

Take the day off. You've earned it, and God himself said to rest one day a week. Can't get much more authoritative than that!

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Ahhhh.........the mighty DR trimmer.
We moved to the country 8 years ago and the DR was the first thing I bought.
I would be laying dead of exhaustion out in the field somewhere if it weren't for that thing.
Scrub brush is the devil's work............:mad:
I still use it at least twice a year to clear a two foot swath away from our fencing to keep things tidy.

We had blackberries at our last home. Aren't they fun?:tongue:

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
I LOOOVE blackberries - but our neighbors apparently didn't know that the canes we had planted along the fence line were domestic and not wild and they thought they were doing us a favor and cut them all way, way back - I just about cried - and they were so proud of the work they did to "help us!" Argh!!! These are the same folks that don't shovel snow - they just drive over it half a dozen time to pack it down and call it good - which works for some folks I guess....

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts