Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, well I know I want a .38 Special 5 shot revolver.... That is as much as is locked in......

I am almost sure I want a 85UL.... dunno if it will be blue or SS..... we won't get in to discussing color..... lol

Not so sure about the UL though.... how much lighter is it than standard? I may want the extra weight for the recoil.... I've never really been bothered too much by weight, I carried a full size 1911 for awhile, and have mostly carried a Glock 23. after you add up all that "un-necessary" ammo, that's alot of weight.

I'm pretty sure if I get the 85 I will put Hogue Bantam grips on it and trim off the hammer or buy a new one......

my mom carried an 85 for several years..... I shot about 300 bazillion rounds through it... That gun never gave anyone any problems EVER.... and my mom had NO IDEA that a gun needed to be cleaned regularly until I brought home a cleaning kit when I was 16 or so.... The gun was about 10 years old the first time I cleaned it!..... HOLY CRUD!.... I'm a believer!

Are the older ones better made than the new ones? vice versa? or are they about the same?

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
To me, an 85 is an 85, regardless of the year of manufacture.

I love 'em all! :D

Mine is twenty-years-old and has never given me any problems.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Got a ol' S&W K38 made back in the '50s, 6in barrel , target sights, hammer and trigger, you can drive tacks with it at the range and the new S&Ws are NOT on par with this at all.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.

Since you've said the weight of the 1911 didn't bother you, I'd suggest you go for a stainless steel M-85.

At about 20 oz. it's light enough for every day carry, yet heavy enough to dampen recoil.

The stainless steel is more corosive resistent, and easier to clean. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kinda looking at the 605 now, but I doubt I'll go that route.... I'm not subjecting my hands to a non ported .357 snubbie again!....

Are the older 85's not +p rated? I plan on running the SGD short barrel 135gr. for my carry ammo and it needs to be able to handle it.
I have a strange attraction towards the older ones..............

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
When I was looking, I decided on the 605. I fired 5 357mags thru it, and since have carried 38+P's, but with the knowledge that I could use 357 if I had to. There wasn't that much difference in price. Totally satisfied with my choice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it seems like the 605 is a great logical choice. if SHTF and I couldn't find any .38 ammo, but found .357 I'd be a little peaved.... Maybe I'll get a 605 for carry and an older 85 for sentimental reasons..... lol
(still cheaper than the S&W I originally planned on)

·
17,585 Posts
When I was looking, I decided on the 605. I fired 5 357mags thru it, and since have carried 38+P's, but with the knowledge that I could use 357 if I had to. There wasn't that much difference in price. Totally satisfied with my choice.
Or I guess you could put one .357 in as the last round. If you get to that point you may need it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's decided. I'll be getting a Matte Stainless 605 with Hogue 67000 grips in a Don Hume JIT slide holster .... I'll still carry it with the 135gr. short barrel GD's.... but I get to see my ol' lady shoot a .357 snub!.... it'll be on youtube I promise!....lol she's a good gal!

Now I get to start looking at 4" .357's for a house gun!

Can the matte stainless Tauri be polished out well? I've seen some polished ones on here, but I dunno if they started as matte.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I got my wife a S&W 442 Airweight .38SP. Its super light and the recoil isn't bad at all. I have shot it and she's shot it and she's so fine with it that she picked out a Taurus Titanuim .44SPL to play with too.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Been thinking about a .357 myself, I've had my eye on a S&W Ladysmith, Yeah who cares what it's called if it fits I'll get it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not concerned with the weight,.... well maybe I am. I know 100% for sure that a ultra lite would be a bad decision. in the event I did NEED to shoot .357 I want it to have a reasonable weight. Plus I really prefer steel.

ozzy- I've shot a LS in .38.... it was a nice gun with comfortable wood grips. Myself, I wouldn't shoot .357 out of something that light. But that's just me.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
It's decided. I'll be getting a Matte Stainless 605 with Hogue 67000 grips in a Don Hume JIT slide holster .... I'll still carry it with the 135gr. short barrel GD's.... but I get to see my ol' lady shoot a .357 snub!.... it'll be on youtube I promise!....lol she's a good gal!

Now I get to start looking at 4" .357's for a house gun!

Can the matte stainless Tauri be polished out well? I've seen some polished ones on here, but I dunno if they started as matte.
I have that exact setup. You'll like it more then you should!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
No, I'm not a picture guy, unless you want to see my grand kids.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
.............. OK, well I guess I'll have to pass on the Grandkids.... unless they have hogue grips.....lol Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts