Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
..... (March 29, 1911) that the Colt Model 1911 was officially adopted by the Army. Interesting history of the design, development and testing that led to it's successful adoption is here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

Among the areas of success for the Colt was a test at the end of 1910 attended by its designer, John Browning. Six thousand rounds were fired from a single pistol over the course of two days. When the gun began to grow hot, it was simply immersed in water to cool it. The Colt gun passed with no reported malfunctions, while the Savage designs had 37.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Here's a 1943 WWII issue I inherited from Dad. While I've often thought of sending it to be restored, so far I just kept it original with the exception of changing out all of the springs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your decision to keep it as is honors your Dad and his service. I like it!

·
Super Moderator
35,501 Posts
Here's a 1943 WWII issue I inherited from Dad. While I've often thought of sending it to be restored, so far I just kept it original with the exception of changing out all of the springs.
It would be a shame to erase that character and history.

·
Registered
36,017 Posts
yep!
appears to be in a resonable good condition, no way I would do anything to it except maintain it in that condition.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Count me as a leaver her as is! Sure replace parts that wear out like springs or the extractor for example, but the history helps make her special!

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Nice 1943 WWII 45 pistol.:cool:

Reactions: BigBlue

·
21,919 Posts
BigBlue, I'll add to the "preserve it as is!" chorus. What a fantastic heirloom!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts