Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 586-4 that had been heavily customized with a litany of "combat" modifications..........that has been shot a lot...........

For a 586-8 (correction: 586-3) with a 6" barrel with the matte blue finish that's been shot very little. I prefer a 6", he prefers a 4". I'm happy about it.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Both of those are fine revolvers, but I think you got the better end of the deal, especially since you got
the newer gun. I also like the grips on the new gun better. Are they Houge grips?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Congratulations on a very nice acquisition! And I have a friend that's the same, he prefers 4" barrels on revolvers and I prefer the 6" models. To each their own. :)

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both of those are fine revolvers, but I think you got the better end of the deal, especially since you got
the newer gun. I also like the grips on the new gun better. Are they Houge grips?
Yes, I'm going to give them a try. I'm not really sure about them.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Congrats! I don't know squat about revolvers, but when 2 guys walk away from a trade happy, its a good day. :)

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
Looks like a fare trade I have a S&W 686 that has had a trigger job and a few things that my gunsmith refuses to discuss but double feels like single and single is not for beginners. It has wear and character. But shes my baby.

Reactions: Willboat

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Looks like a very even trade. I am assuming even with the "high mileage" yours was within tolerance. So he got a 4" that was probably smooth as silk. You got a low mileage 6" waiting for a new litany of "combat" modifications. Two very nice guns! I like a 2" inch in revolvers LOL!

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was that 586-4 a square butt?
It was, until it got the combat job and they ground it down (ARRRGGHH!!). Take those grips off and it ain't pretty. They didn't refinish the frame, just left it in the white. I didn't have the work done, and frankly I'm not sure I approve of most of the crap they did. Front crane lock, chamfer chambers, "competition" cylinder release, Meprolight night sights, DA trigger job. It had been rode hard, but well cared for. Frankly I was about to have it rebuilt, and was considering a re-barrel to 6". It's shootable as it is, but it's not quite tight enough for my standards. I'm picky.

The trade save me a lot of trouble. He said he found he dips his front sight(?) with a 6" and actually shoots a 4" better than a 6"(?). He also seemed interested in the Meprolights and was going to move swap them out to a 686 he has. They are about $100. Maybe that was an attraction to him, swap the sights out and you could probably still get the same price for the revolver.

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like a very even trade. I am assuming even with the "high mileage" yours was within tolerance. So he got a 4" that was probably smooth as silk. You got a low mileage 6" waiting for a new litany of "combat" modifications. Two very nice guns! I like a 2" inch in revolvers LOL!
Yes it was still in spec. Maybe just barely, but it was in spec. It has the best DA I've ever tried on a revolver. It was a dream to shoot in fast DA. But that's not an area that interests me much. I'm not going to do much to this revolver, personally I see no need to butcher them up like that.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Great trade; For both of you.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
You made a good trade. I have several revolvers with barrels of 1 1/2" to 4" and some from that to 15", had a few with 18" barrels. For shooting and outdoor carry 4" to 8" are my usual favorites. With 5" to 6" guns usually getting the most holster time. Your newused double action should smooth up nice with a good action job and make range time fun. The longer sight radius on 6" verse 4" usually makes for tighter groups. That always makes for a better day.

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Correction: This is a 586-3. My old eyes turned the -3 into a -8. I figured this out when I couldn't find any reference to a -8. I thought that revision number was high! Turns out this is a Lew Horton gun. In 1989 they made 2,500 4" and 2,500 6" all with Matte Blue finish and round butts. I popped the grips off and sure enough. One of the few times round butt 6'' were made. Score!

They don't seem to command a premium though, I think the matte blue is a turn-off to collectors. But I'm fine with that, I'm going to shoot it, and I like oddballs. The round butt is weird, I see no purpose for that on a 6" gun, but if the Houge grips don't work for me I usually use Pachmayr Signatures which cover the backstrap. They worked fine on the gun I traded.

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You made a good trade. I have several revolvers with barrels of 1 1/2" to 4" and some from that to 15", had a few with 18" barrels. For shooting and outdoor carry 4" to 8" are my usual favorites. With 5" to 6" guns usually getting the most holster time. Your newused double action should smooth up nice with a good action job and make range time fun. The longer sight radius on 6" verse 4" usually makes for tighter groups. That always makes for a better day.
I've had a couple of 8" guns (A Dan Wesson 15 with a heavy barrel shroud and a Python), and while they shoot well they are just too damn heavy to shoot standing for a couple of hours. I had to rest a lot, like every couple/three rounds. And this was when I was much younger! They also don't fit in range bags. 4" are O.K. and I keep one for a house gun, but I shoot 6" better. I prefer the slightly muzzle heavy feel of the 6". Something without a full-underlug barrel might work in 8" for me. Like an 8" Dan Wesson with a lighter barrel shroud.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Some of the Lee Horton guns feel like custom action jobs when new. You have scored on that trade, and finding grips you like shouldn't be a problem.

·
17,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some of the Lee Horton guns feel like custom action jobs when new. You have scored on that trade, and finding grips you like shouldn't be a problem.
It did seem to have a really nice single action trigger, and the trigger stop is present. I'll know more once I shoot it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts