Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This revolver looked like it would fulfill my needs but it exceeds my expectations. With the 3 inch barrel in stainless, grip that fits my hand like it is custom made and the glowing front sight, it is exactly what I wanted. I can't wait to shoot it. I expected a severe, dragging trigger pull and it also felt good, very smooth. Before I received the pistol I went ahead and ordered the Galloway spring kit but I don't think I'll need it. This pistol is of outstanding quality. I've owned many S & W and Colt Revolvers over the years and this pistol doesn't take a back seat to any of them.

I understand it is made in Brazil but on the side plate it says Mfg. in Bainbridge, GA. Does this mean they are assembled in GA? I don't care where they come from because I like it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
This revolver looked like it would fulfill my needs but it exceeds my expectations. With the 3 inch barrel in stainless, grip that fits my hand like it is custom made and the glowing front sight, it is exactly what I wanted. I can't wait to shoot it. I expected a severe, dragging trigger pull and it also felt good, very smooth. Before I received the pistol I went ahead and ordered the Galloway spring kit but I don't think I'll need it. This pistol is of outstanding quality. I've owned many S & W and Colt Revolvers over the years and this pistol doesn't take a back seat to any of them.

I understand it is made in Brazil but on the side plate it says Mfg. in Bainbridge, GA. Does this mean they are assembled in GA? I don't care where they come from because I like it.
I bought one not long after they first came available. I believe it was about 11 months from the time it was announced at SHOT Show until I saw the first one for sale. It was well worth the wait. Pretty good right out of the box, but the Galloway kit sweetened it up just that much more. It's only one of two revolvers that I own that doesn't have wooden grips. I hear mixed stories about made vs. assembled. What you see on the side plate is more or less an address for the importer. The 856 Defender is manufactured by Taurus Armas in Brazil and Imported by Taurus International Manufacturing in Bainbridge, GA.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
i am getting really excited reading this. Mine says it was shipped yesterday!
spent all last night reading .38spl ammo reviews and suddenly remembered,I think i have some of that Buffalo Bore lead hollow point ammo. i looked and a box and a half! Enough to test a couple rounds as still have enough for a cylinder and a speed loader!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use the Winchester flathead target ammo for target and self defense,carry. I carry 4 6 shot speedloaders with no problem. My 856s are in 2 and 3 inch barrel. I have a black oxide finish but will have them beadblast parkerized down at my shop. I also have a Tairus M82 I shoot. Beautiful handguns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not computer savy enough to send pictures but the pistol pictures are on display at numerous places on the internet. Just look up the Taurus Defender with 3 inch barrel in stainless. I hope weather is OK so I can shoot it today. Snow expected.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Congrats on your new wheel gun. 3" revolver is on my wish list someday.

·
Registered
170 Posts
In my thinking a 3" barrel is perfect for a 38/357 revolver, I've only got one along with 3, 2" barreled revolvers and one in 4". If my 905 and 605 had been offered in 3", I would have gotten them instead of 2"...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congratulations on the new revolver!

Agree with the others about this gun, it’s a great shooter. I believe that a blind test with similar format Colt/Smith/Rugers would have an 856 Defender with a spring kit rated as good as any, for half the cost.

I’ve had a SS 3” 856 Defender for about 6 months now, it’s a sweetheart of a revolver. A Galloway spring kit and a good internal cleaning gave it a great action, mine was just a little rough out of the box, but no worse than my old Colt DS was, the only difference was the Colt didn’t get a spring kit, it just got a good cleaning. For my hands the Hogue grips weren’t good but the smaller Taurus grips fit better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After about 30 yrs without guns/shooting my interest was renewed at the end of 2020. Purchased both the 856 and 856 Defender, both in SS, regular weight with exposed hammers (Defender with VZ G10 grip). I shoot the 856 well with either the 2 finger Taurus grip or Hogue grip with factory blade sight. I have swapped grips many times on the Defender between VZ G10's, 2 finger Taurus, Hogue and "pink" (only color available) M85 Taurus grip. Defender has AmeriGlo night sight from factory. For some reason the Hogue feels right on the 2" gun but on the 3" it isn't quite right for me (different weight/balance?). VZ G10 grips on 3" are OK but don't feel good when shooting +P loads. I have spent time on G10 grips with sand paper but they could still be better. M85 Taurus grips feel good in hand but I don't like the fit on my gun, haven't been able to fire it yet with these. Guess what I'm saying is I haven't gotten grips dialed in for the Defender yet. Has anyone tried these ( ) ?. I alternate carry between the 2 856's and a G3C I've had for almost a year.

Another challenge I'm dealing with is vision since my eyes are 60 yrs old. I now own 4 long guns and 3 hand guns mentioned above and over the next year I want to work on which hand gun is the best carry gun for "me" out of these three, before purchasing another hand gun although I'm blessed with a wife that says "go ahead" when I'm considering any new gun. Overall I like both 856's and the G3C, haven't had any function issues. Wish I had a range in my backyard like some folks with YouTube channels and more money to spend "destroying" expensive ammunition. Enjoy your new revolver and thanks for listening.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another thing I noticed today is how you can stage the Defender in double action. It is the best trigger I've ever come across.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts