Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm driving to the shooting range on Friday with my "new" 66. darn, I'm 49 and can't wait to go shooting with that gun... we're still a bunch of kids, aren't we? Range is about 1 hour to drive from here. I have rounds from 5 different makers, curious about it. That being said... what does 1 hour on the range cost you guys? Here we pay from 35.00 per hour upwards. If you want to shoot on the dynamic range, IPSC or holstering, it costs 160.00 per hour. Some years back it was 40.00 per hour on the dynamic range, but regulations and security issues came about and whoops...

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
To poorly paraphrase a popular song, get your kicks, and shoot 66!

I pay $12 at a local pistol range and usually buy two paper targets for 50 cents each. They also have a rifle range, but I've never used it, so I can't recall what their price sheet says. I once went across town with a co-worker to his range of choice and the cost was the same there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here it is $70.00 a year for a family. Nothing fancy, you have cowboy or pistol. Then there is rifle out to 300 yards. Then for long rifle it can extend to 600 yards for certain people. I am thinking of switching ranges, to one 24 miles away it is $24.00 a year for family, but you have to furnish your own targets and stands. But I can shoot out to 1200 yards there.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,239 Posts
$100 a year, 100 yard rifle and 50 yard pistol, the range has steel targets and target holders you supply the target. Pictures on the web site: Santa Fe Trail Sportsman's Club Home Page
Open sun-up to sun-down, unless L E has reserved the range, calendar on the website.

Enjoy your range time :thumb:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just drive out to the west desert and set up targets at whatever range I want to. Sometimes I'll take the trailer and make a weekend camping trip of it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
$160.00 an hour? That's OUTRAGEOUS!!!
Here in Las Vegas I pay $9.00 for all day, anything you want to shoot.
That's the Clark County Shooting Complex.
It's an outdoor range, and targets are .50 to 1.00 each.
Some indoor ranges here cost up to $10 an hour.

·
Registered
36,775 Posts
My range charges 12 bucks PER DAY, if a second shooter on the same lane then that charge is 6 bucks for the day.
I am a member so i pay what breaks down to about 2 .50 per day as much as I go.
target are 1 buck each.
indoor range, air conditioning, or heat and good ventilation.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Have a great time on your day at the range! The 66 should be a ton of fun!

The outdoor range I used to shoot at was $11/day. They had approximately 30 lanes each on the pistol and rifle sides of the range. A little over a year ago I joined the local rifle and pistol club. It's $150/year, can shoot from 8a.m to sundown 7 days a week. We have any shooting discipline you could want, long range out to 600 yards. If you ever find yourself in central FL. give me a shout, we'll go do some shooting.

Port Malabar Rifle and Pistol Club

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've never paid to use a range. Have access to a private gravel pit for my cabin owners association where I do all my shooting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My outdoor range here in Arizona is $45 a year. The only negative is that it's 22.5 miles away. The indoor range I shot at in Minnesota was $400 a year or $20 a trip. Technically that was for an hour, but they would never boot anyone after the hour unless it was unusually busy. I had a membership there for 4 years. That one was 9 miles away. Used to go there twice a week, now I've had to cut down to once most weeks. I really liked the indoor range better. Easier to see, and you could make adjustments more easily due to the target carriers. Outdoors I have to shoot for 20-25 minutes then go see what I did. I suppose I should get some binoculars. Breathing a lot less lead is one advantage to the outdoor.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$160.00 an hour? That's OUTRAGEOUS!!!.
Yeah, it is! It is the same if you are a group of say 5 people - police or not, hunter or not. That's nice... but going alone or if you're just 2, it's simply too much. But just so that you see how great it is too shoot in most of your places. I assume if you're in NYC it's not going to be cheap as well?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I have 4 ranges within 20 minutes of the house. 2 outdoor, 1 of which costs $3.00 per visit for parking, the other is $200.00 a year.. Both have pistol/rifle to 50yds, rifle to 300yds, Shotgun Trap & skeet.. You supply the targets.
The indoor ranges are $16.00 and 20.00 an hour. Both are 25yd. 1 is rifle/pistol up to AE50 with Full Auto lanes. The other is pistols and PCC only with steel targets on 6 of 8 lanes.

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
I sure do enjoy taking my 66 to the range ! It's a darn accurate gun and it's as much fun to shoot as the semi-autos. Plus, people lean back and try to see what you're shooting when you light off full power loads. :shooter:

·
Super Moderator
35,342 Posts
My range charges me...uh...zero, 'cause I own it. :D

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, not wanting to open a new thread...
Well, it was great fun yesterday. I began with the 85s and am really getting hold of DA shooting. The downside is, my Geco ammo does not like my 85s. Or vice versa. Geco is the No. 1 ammo in Switzerland, but no, my 85s just doesn't look at it that way:eek:. 4 striker, 1 non striker. Whether it is the .38 FMJ or the .38 wad cutter. But no problem whatsoever with the Winchester ammo, not a single round that does not work, so it will be Winchester only from now on. I'll use the Gecos in my 66 then. But the 85s is coming out great, really nice snubby shooting at 10m, 15m and still nice at 20m.

I haven't shot a .357 in 20 years, but I knew what was coming. Holy... some blast and recoil. The wood grip is slightly too big for my hands but I don't want to give up yet, I'll try it again next time, but I have to master that and the heavy recoil. It's a bit better with the .38 special ammo. But it really was fun, looking forward to my next session. And if it doesn't work I will get some Hogue round butt grips.

Reactions: Mark40 and darbo

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And if it doesn't work I will get some Hogue round butt grips.
Have to correct myself: Which of course won't work. because of the square butt frame...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Reactions: basco

·
Super Moderator
35,342 Posts
Ok, not wanting to open a new thread...
Well, it was great fun yesterday. I began with the 85s and am really getting hold of DA shooting. The downside is, my Geco ammo does not like my 85s. Or vice versa. Geco is the No. 1 ammo in Switzerland, but no, my 85s just doesn't look at it that way:eek:. 4 striker, 1 non striker. Whether it is the .38 FMJ or the .38 wad cutter. But no problem whatsoever with the Winchester ammo, not a single round that does not work, so it will be Winchester only from now on. I'll use the Gecos in my 66 then. But the 85s is coming out great, really nice snubby shooting at 10m, 15m and still nice at 20m.

I haven't shot a .357 in 20 years, but I knew what was coming. Holy... some blast and recoil. The wood grip is slightly too big for my hands but I don't want to give up yet, I'll try it again next time, but I have to master that and the heavy recoil. It's a bit better with the .38 special ammo. But it really was fun, looking forward to my next session. And if it doesn't work I will get some Hogue round butt grips.

Hogue grips are my go to. I can't stand those wood grips the 66s used to come with, large and blocky, feel awful. Some just have to have the wood, but Hogue makes wood grips, too, and they actually FIT my hand. :D

As to ammo, Winchester primers are softer than, for instance, CCI. I have been loading Winchester primers since the 90s when I had a Rossi 971 that wouldn't reliably touch off a CCI primer. None of the firearms I currently shoot are light strikers, all seem to accept all ammo that I've fired in them, but that Rossi was a little light in the hammer. :D

Reactions: basco

·
Registered
36,775 Posts
Have to correct myself: Which of course won't work. because of the square butt frame...
Super Glue or Duct Tape for the correction!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts