Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
As a left handed shooter, obviously the lafety on the pt is a lil more challenging. I can do the trigger finger swipe but I have to ask myself, is it worth it?

I carry Kahrs, kel-tecs and revolvers without safeties. Does anyone carry a pt milennium 45 with the safety off and one in the pipe?

Administrator
I don't use the safety on my PT111 with a round chambered. It's double action only. My PT145 is single action/double action, so I do use the safety.

Premium Member
There is the fun part for a lefty!! Here is what I do as a righty!

First, if I pocket carry, the safety is on!! No chance of snagging trigger.

2nd, if I am using holsters, all of mine have the trigger totally covered, so depending on the situation!!! I could have it off, as long as I remember to keep that finger off the trigger until I am pointed down range, or at what ever I want to shoot. "totally normal action for me to keep finger away until that point."

Normal proceedure for me if I have a round in the chamber would be to safety when I am off the farm, around people, (you know the drill on that).

Registered
I have pt111. I never use the safety. My other carry gun is a Glock, so Im just used to no external safety. Just keep the trigger covered and you'll be good.

Administrator
Ditto, what PT145man and Smokewagon said!

Registered
I'm left handed and carry chambered without the safety. My holster covers the trigger guard.

SA/DA trigger.

If I were to pocket carry, the safety would be engaged.

Registered
PT145man said:
I agree with Smokewagon. Only DAO pistols are safe to carry without using the safety.
I wholeheartedly agree. Carying a SA loaded firearm with no safety on is asking for trouble.
I must say though my pt145 has the lightest but still positive 'click' safety lever of most handguns other than my 1911.

Registered
Depends on the carry and the gun. Like Robbie, if I pocket carry my PT-111 I use the safety. If I am carrying the 1911 cocked, it is also locked. The rest of my carry guns are either revolvers or semi-autos with no external safety. Like others have said, keep the finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Being new to DAO s-autos, this practice has made me a safer shooter, IMO. As far as one in the tube, I wouldn't carry any other way. The few times I needed a weapon, I did not have the time to jack one in, but I carried SA revolvers so long that it is just automatic to cock one on the draw.

Registered
I believe that the long trigger pull of the SA/DA 3rd gens is one of the safety features. YMMV

Premium Member
tman said:
I believe that the long trigger pull of the SA/DA 3rd gens is one of the safety features. YMMV
Well the long take up is there in the PT111, but it is SA if you have a round in chamber. If you hit the take up point by accident, that SA action is light and quick. Thus the reason to use the safety, if there is any possiblity of hitting the trigger.

Registered
tman said:
It is long. It takes some time to get used to it.

Registered
I always use the safety on my Pt111. I shoot right handed so it's no bother to sweep it off. For me the manual safety was one of the deciding factors in purchasing the gun. There are other guns I have without the safety, but I prefer one if available and easily accessable.

Registered
Being a right handed shooter I understand the problems of a safety on the left side being hard to use. That being said, I think cocked and locked is the safest way to carry. I can't see carrying without the safety off. That would have to be a decision you have to make. Seen video's of DA guns going off while holstering. Scary. :eek:

Does the 24/7 come with safeties on both sides or is it the imaginary 24/7 OSS that comes that way?

Registered
Everything I carry is DA for the first shot, so no safety on. Besides, I carry various makes. Some are up to fire & some are down to fire. So I have no confusion if no safety. I also carry a revolver at times, so what's the problem with no safety on a semi auto as long as it's DA/SA or DAO. My usual carry has no external safety anyway.

Registered
stephpd said:
... I think cocked and locked is the safest way to carry. .
When you get right down to it, the safest way to carry is without a round chambered.

That being said, I am left handed, and I cannot keep a firm grip on my pistol, draw and engage a target quickly if the safety is on. It's a split second I don't believe I'd like to spend.

All of my "administrative" actions with my pistol are done with the safety on, such as holstering and unholstering each morning and evening. It's just that when I carry, I'd like it ready to go.

If a person's isn't comfortable that way, then do whatever you can. Just carry.

Registered
I don't think a PT1xx SA trigger is any lighter or shorter than say most of the XD line, which are technically SA as well because the stricker is fully cocked. David

Registered
I read every post about using the external safety and noticed that there wasn't any mention of using the safety when putting the piece into the holster. The 3rd gen PT111 Millenium PRO is in SA mode when there is a round in the chamber, so I've concluded that to protect my person and anyone around me I'll have the safety on when holstering.

I practice sweeping it off as I draw and the trigger finger held out until the sight is on the target. When the gun comes off target, the trigger finger comes out and the safety goes on again.

Please offer any suggestions toward better practice.

Registered
When I carry my 24/7 I have the safety off. However, as bre346 mentioned, when I holster the gun I the safety is on. When it is holstered I take the safety off. Before I unholster, I flick the safety back on.

Registered
I'm with tman....safety off while my PT145 is in its holster. I have the safety on while holstering and then just flip the safety off once the gun is "safely" in place. Same thing but in reverse order when I am removing the gun for any purpose other than drawing to shoot. My gun is fairly well trained and it has yet to jump out of its holster without being drawn, and once out of its holster it has yet to fire a round without my finger on the trigger.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts