Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

Took (and passed) the Handgun Safety Class on Dec 31st ($50 plus 48 rounds of ammo). Went to the DMV and filled out the application and had the picture taken this Tuesday (and paid my $115). Have an appointment to have fingerprints done on Monday the 21st. Then the wait begins...I am being told a couple of months as a rule.

Reactions: ncfarmer and TheDC

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Congratulations, and good for you!
The waiting is always the tough part. Just practice carrying around the house, and looking forward to that first Wally Walk!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Good for you!!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

Took (and passed) the Handgun Safety Class on Dec 31st ($50 plus 48 rounds of ammo). Went to the DMV and filled out the application and had the picture taken this Tuesday (and paid my $115). Have an appointment to have fingerprints done on Monday the 21st. Then the wait begins...I am being told a couple of months as a rule.
Good for you. I hope the wait isn't too long. I am in the same waiting mode for my Texas CHL.

And a few days ago I started carrying around the house just to get a feel for it as suggested by TXEric.

It didn't take me long to figure out why folks try so many different holsters and have different holsters for different occasions/clothing.

Reactions: Lil Beaver

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Congrats, you have taken the first step, but the wait will seem really looooong.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It will be two of the longest months of your life ;) but when it does come it will be totaly worth it. Welcome to the CCW club!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hafling; Tennessee has contracted the licensing to a private company and they are evidently under staffed to make more money. At least when I got mine, I had to wait almost Six months until I started complaining to my State Representative. That speeded things up some.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Grats and enjoy the permit when you get it !

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats....My wife and daughter took thiers yesterday and they both did great. They were really stressing about the range and hitting the marks, but they both did fine. Daughter beat wife by one shot....ribbing went on for a while last night:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I took my class on saturday fingerprints monday . Had my permit in hand 2 weeks later. There wss a phone number to check the status of your application . Give it a week and a half and call . I talked to a lady on the phone she told me it was being processed then it showed up the next week. Don't remember the number I found it through google. Good luck and congrats

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I took my class on saturday fingerprints monday . Had my permit in hand 2 weeks later. There wss a phone number to check the status of your application . Give it a week and a half and call . I talked to a lady on the phone she told me it was being processed then it showed up the next week. Don't remember the number I found it through google. Good luck and congrats

I found a number for checking on the status in Tennessee (615... 251... 8590). It's been 30 days and I keep watching the mailbox! Called them and the nice lady took my driver's license information and looked me up in their system. She then told me they were a "little backed up" and that mine was still going through the background check process. I will continue to call weekly until I have it in hand. This wait is killing me!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats,my friend! I was told "90 days". I haven't applied yet (fixed income makes me pick and chose where $ gets spent...),so I'm obeying the letter of the law when I carry in the vehicles,but I'll feel much better when I have one too. I never thought I'd say THIS,but it was easier for me in VA,when I had a CCW permit (expired a couple years ago when I had no firearms,so there was no need to renew),alls I had to do was show my DD214 (military discharge papers) showing Honorable Discharge and a short wait...no classes,no quilification shooting...sigh,good times :)

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I was told 90 days years ago and it turned out to be about 2 months...Since they are backed up, it may in fact take the 90 days.. The good thing, once you have it, it is good for 4 years. Then after that you renew via mail for $50 for another 4 years..and so it goes.....be patient.. it will happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
CONGRATS!!! I too am waiting. I took the course four weeks ago ($65) , paid $20 to the local Sheriff, paid $40 to Ky. State Police, Got photo made ($8) now ....................... the wait ................................ . I've had folks ask me "Why do you want a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon" after I look at them bewildered I tell them "because it is my right!!!" Actually the 2nd Ammendment to the U.S Constitution should be the only papers that we all need!!! Congratulations again. The more folks carry the more nervous the thugs get!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Congratualtions, now it's time to play the waiting game. Let us know when get it and how your
first trip into the world as a concealed carry permit holder goes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts