Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a new 605 today after reading a bunch of posts on this forum and others over the past few days. It's my first gun and it's brand new. I've shot friends' guns before, but this is my first.

A few questions:

1. What should I do prior to shooting this thing? Any cleaning or oiling of parts?
2. What ammo do you suggest I run through it first?
3. Any general maintenance tips?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure these are stupid questions but I'm a noob.

-Kyle

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
No such thing as a stupid question my friend. Certainly give it a cleaning before you use it for the first time. Just make sure to follow the steps shown in the owner's manual (see below). But make sure not to over lubricate it after cleaning -- especially the bore.

As far as ammo goes, you will hear lots of answers. Pick up a couple of boxes of .38 spl ammo, and a couple of boxes of .357 magnum ammo. Your 605 will shoot both. The .38 has less power, and is a better practice round than the .357. Also, firing both rounds will show you what you can handle as you learn about the shooting sports and your firearm. I would use something like a 125 gr bullet in both calibers to start out with. Heavy bullets (e.g. 158 gr) usually have a little more punch.

From the Taurus revolver manual:

CARE AND MAINTENANCE
A. The gun may be cleaned and lubricated under normal conditions without the need
of any disassembly.

B. In special conditions, such as repairs, when disassembling is necessary, it is
recommended the gun be returned to the factory or sent to a competent gunsmith or to
the importer.

C. In order to keep a gun in perfect condition it must be kept clean and covered with a
slight film of good quality oil to prevent corrosion. This is especially necessary after
use.

D. For normal cleaning of handgun not used or kept in storage for some time, it is
necessary to rub it with a lightly oiled cloth. In the same way proceed with the bore of
the barrel. The excess oil must be removed, but a thin protecting film should remain.
Also the dust should be removed from all crevices with a small, clean brush.

E. For cleaning after shooting, it is of special importance that all residues of powder be
removed from barrel and other adjacent areas subject to such deposits, using an
appropriate brush. If particles of lead are detected in barrel they must be scrubbed
with a brass brush, drenched with oil. Once cleaned, lubrication should be done as
above described. When shooting more than 200 rounds in a row, your firearm should
be cleaned before further shooting.

F. Do not keep handguns in contact with materials that attract moisture or possess a
certain degree of acidity, or in environments with great variation of temperature or of
humidity. Avoid the use of holsters of cloth or of any other material except natural
leather appropriately cured.

G. If the firearm is to be stored for a long period of time, extreme care should be taken
with metal surfaces, in order to protect them against corrosion

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I think that about sums it up. Welcome to TA from Pittsburgh, PA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'm glad I did my research, because both of the gun store guys tried to talk me into a more expensive gun, either an S&W or a Ruger.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Can't add to Revolvers advice. It's spot on. I can add another welcome.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
All I did when I got mine was clean the inside of the cylinder (chambers) and the barrel.

I do have one piece of advice from experience. Keep an eye on the yoke screw (part #47 in the manual) on the right side of the gun below the cylinder. Mine backed out after shooting some hotter .357 loads. Inside is a small spring and detent. If these fall out, they are hard to locate. You may want to bring a screwdriver that will fit the screw with you to the range the first few times you shoot it. It probably won't happen to you, but if it does you will be glad you brought your screwdriver. This has actually happened to me more than once. I have since put some blue loktite on mine.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Welcome to TA!!! I can't beat the advice and information already offered other than:

Revolvers are the best!!! Taurus revolvers are the best of the best!!! Good Luck and have lottsa fun!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
If you have not cleaned revolvers often and are looking for a good entry level cleaning tool. Get a bore snake. They are simple rudimentary can be found at some Walmarts and most if not all gun shops. They will not damage the crown like some of the cleaning rods can, if you do not know what you are doing. If you get a bore snake you should pull it through from the breach(the beginning of the barrel by the cylinder) to the to the crown (end of the barrel) when you clean your barrel with it. There are plenty of good cleaning products to choose from. I would recommend Hoppes #9 to begin with which is also readily avaialbe. You can research and experiment with new products as you go.

I would focus primarily on shooting standard pressure 38 special ammo and Magnum here and there as you see fit. The gun is Magnum rated however probably not the best gun to shoot hot Magnum loads with all the time. Practicing primarily with 38 special will help you get used to, and good at, shooting your 605 and ensure normal wear and tear.

You picked a great firearm!
Have fun, be safe!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Congrats on your new M605 .357 Magnum revolver!

I have one and it makes a really fine concealed carry gun.

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
3 Posts
New 605 question

I, also, recently bought a 605 and after using it twice had to send it back to Taurus for repair. I shot about 150 rounds .38 specials, cleaned it after 100 rounds. I then tried .357s and it jammed, could not pull the trigger or the hammer. I was able to open the cylinder and get the ammo out. I asked the guy at the range to check the rounds. He tried them in another .357 magnum and they worked fine. He recommended calling Taurus. I did and Taurus immediately sent me a tag to send it in for repair, but could give no reason for the jam. I am not very happy that they said it will take 6 weeks or more to get it back. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any advice if it happens again after I get it back.
Thanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
I, also, recently bought a 605 and after using it twice had to send it back to Taurus for repair. I shot about 150 rounds .38 specials, cleaned it after 100 rounds. I then tried .357s and it jammed, could not pull the trigger or the hammer. I was able to open the cylinder and get the ammo out. I asked the guy at the range to check the rounds. He tried them in another .357 magnum and they worked fine. He recommended calling Taurus. I did and Taurus immediately sent me a tag to send it in for repair, but could give no reason for the jam. I am not very happy that they said it will take 6 weeks or more to get it back. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any advice if it happens again after I get it back.
Thanks
Hi jski, welcome to the forum! I also own a 605 and enjoy it very much. Sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with yours.

Just a quick note that might help: you say that you cleaned it after the first 100 rounds of 38 special, then shot 50 more. If you then loaded it with 357 magnum without cleaning the cylinder, your 357's probably didn't seat fully into the cylinder. The 38's are a bit shorter that the 357's, and after 50 rounds you are bound to have a "crud" ring in each cylinder bore. It could be enough to keep those 357's from seating, and thus causing the cylinder from rotating when you pull the hammer or trigger. With a 357, I like to shoot the 357's first, then switch to the shorter 38's for just this reason. If the trigger/hammer is jamming with no ammo in it, then you have a different problem.

Reactions: cooper

·
Registered
3 Posts
605 jam

Thanks for your response. I spoke with someone else that said the same thing about the crud. I wish Taurus would have mentioned that as a fix before having me send it in to them. It does sound like an easy thing to try. It does not jam when there is no ammo. So I can only wait to see what Taurus says at this point since they have the gun.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks
I had the same problem happen to me but mine was with the first 5 rounds I loaded into it, and it jammed. I couldn't even get the cylinder to open at first and when it did open the shells wouldn't even eject. I was shooting winchester PDX1 defender 125 grain. I'm very disappointed with Taurus right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jammed 605 revolver

I finally got mine back from Taurus. I called several times and finally was told that it might take up to 8 weeks for repair. So, I called the National Sales Manager and left a message explaining my disappointment with Taurus, I then received an e-mail 2 days later saying they were pulling my firearm out of queue to get it back to me asap. I received it the next day. The reason they gave for the jam is 1)head space undersize and 2) Yoke off center. It doesn't jam now but it is not very smooth, still some slight sticking. I have since bought a Springfield XD9 that I am very happy with and will be selling this Taurus at my first opportunity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts