Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I occasionally enjoy re-reading my firearm manuals, and today when doing so, noticed that my "original" sales receipt was beginning to fade. This happens over time with all "Thermo-Printing" type receipts.

Have you ever looked at some of your old household item warrenty sales receipts and noticed that they were faded almost to the point of the print vanishing?

I did not want this to happen to my firearm receipts, so a gathered them up, and made copies of them with my regular computer printer/copier. Now I can retain my receipts and not have to worry about them fading away.

Hope you find this helpful for your long term record keeping of firearm receipts. :)

Rob

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Good thinking

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I not only copy them, but I also use my flatbed scanner and save copies on my thumb drive. I do the same with parts lists/diagrams from the owner's manuals.

Reactions: RobThatsMe

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I usually just staple the receipt inside the owners manual. I've been doing it that way for a long time, but I've never had to use one, so I don't know if they faded or not. I always register firearms with the manufacturer, so the receipt is kind of a moot point with me. It's a good idea, though.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
When we lived in Maryland, our FFL used handwritten receipts for firearms purchases. They don't fade. Here in Georgia, the shops that we've been using warn you to "go home and copy the receipt immediately", telling you of the fading issue.

I actually have a folder in our file cabinet of receipts going back 30+ years.

·
Registered
7,727 Posts
Most, if not all, registers print receipts on thermal paper (hence the "heat it with a match and it will turn black" comment above). You can keep those receipts in an air- and light-tight enclosure and they will still fade. I've had them disappear in as little as a few weeks. I keep my firearms inventory in MyGunDB along with photos of the gun and any accessories, and a scanned copy of the receipt. Depending on the phase of the moon, I may even print a hard copy and staple it in the manual.

·
Super Moderator
40,578 Posts
I scan mine and save them on my computer and jump drive. I also e-mail them to my self so they are saved on the email server. Might be over kill but it did come in handy one time when I needed a copy of the receipt while out of town.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Very good suggestions here....thanks for the post!

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
I scan mine and keep then in a file on several computers and a couple of spare drives.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I keep a copy of mine saved on my laptop and thumb drive. I also make a copy of them and keep with the owners manual.

Which reminds me, I need to do this for AR I got this morning lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I keep my firearms inventory in MyGunDB along with photos of the gun and any accessories, and a scanned copy of the receipt.
I'm actually going to be adding a Documents tab to let people manage images and PDFs for specific firearms and general paperwork not tied to anything specific. Just need to finish up some stuff for the new release I'm planning for tonight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts