1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
I would really love to point out to those who have no clue. That at the time the 2nd was written, military and civilian weapons were very similar, but the edge actually went to the civilian versions of the rifles and pistols, they had on average longer barrels, tighter load tolerances, and were more accurate, plus in the hands of a skilled person, could be reloaded pretty well just as fast. And the founding fathers knew this. So saying that a weapon is, or is not military is irrelevant to the 2nd.

·
Registered
19,534 Posts
I've often thought about goin' the other way....:D...make a rifle with a 400 foot long barrel and see what kind of panic that throws 'em into.

Reactions: Sekol and 53rdcard

·
23,071 Posts
The second amendment provides the last bulwark against tyranny of whitetail deer.

Not.

Rightly understood, the second amendment protects all firearms, from those useful for concealed carry to those that would make it tough for Governor Moonbeam to force a town to house 10,000 illegal aliens.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I would really love to point out to those who have no clue. That at the time the 2nd was written, military and civilian weapons were very similar, but the edge actually went to the civilian versions of the rifles and pistols, they had on average longer barrels, tighter load tolerances, and were more accurate, plus in the hands of a skilled person, could be reloaded pretty well just as fast. And the founding fathers knew this. So saying that a weapon is, or is not military is irrelevant to the 2nd.
I agree in general with what you're saying, just wanted to clarify that, according to many sources I've read, that the smoothbore musket could be reloaded and fired faster than the rifles of the time. The riflemen though didn't need to be fast, they just needed to have a greater effective range than the regular troops who mainly fought with shorter range smoothbore muskets with bayonets. Both the smoothbore musket and rifles had their place, just as carbines and dedicated long range rifles have their place today.

Here is just one reference.

Revolutionary War - Longrifles

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I think you're missing the main point.

One court says military weapons are not protected under the 2A, another court is saying non-military weapons are not protected. That pretty much covers all weapons not being covered.
And this is why we have so many problems with the left..... They change the narrative to fit the agenda.

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you're missing the main point.

One court says military weapons are not protected under the 2A, another court is saying non-military weapons are not protected. That pretty much covers all weapons not being covered.

Please don't confuse me. You are making my brain hurt.

Reactions: MoMan

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
I dont care if in a self defense need you choose to use a German 88. The purpose is the same, shoot until the threat is removed.

·
23,071 Posts
When I read the 2nd Amendment, I didn't see anything about hunting, did you?
Hmm, let's check:

A well regulated militia and whitetail population being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Wow. Guess I should have read more carefully.

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
U.S. vs Miller said the sawed off shotgun was not protected under the second amendment because it was not a military weapon.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/307/174

Anyone who would take an actual AR-15 into battle wouldn’t last 5-10 minutes! It’s because they are designated for civilian ownership.

And if anyone would bother to research the basics of the firearms they would find that the civilian market drives the innovation that supplies the military - not the other way around! Eugene Stoner was a civilian hobbyist who built his first of what would become the AR-15 in his damn garage. The military contractors (Armalite) took notice and hired him on to eventually develop the full auto models M-16 and others in use by the military. But, make no mistake - it began life as a civilian designed weapon!

U.S. District Judge William Young said assault weapons are military firearms and aren't protected by the constitutional right to "bear arms."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/assault-weapons-ban-second-amendment-massachusetts/
See my comments in red above.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Man look at the savings we can replace every M-4 in the military with S&W 15 sport II s at around $500.00 each since they are Military grade weapons ( I own a S&W 15 sport II)

·
Super Moderator
13,948 Posts
Hmm, let's check:

A well regulated militia and whitetail population being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Wow. Guess I should have read more carefully.
You have just entered.....the twilight zone.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
When I read the 2nd Amendment, I didn't see anything about hunting, did you?
And the Founding Fathers certainly didn't say anything about hunting when they talked about why we the people should be armed, either.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
The trouble is that the ant-gun people interpret the law the way they want to read. How do they know what the founding fathers were thinking.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

Assault Rifle.jpg

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
And the Founding Fathers certainly didn't say anything about hunting when they talked about why we the people should be armed, either.
well back then it was just expected that you had to hunt to survive.
I mean there wasn't but like three McDonalds and one Burger King in the entire United States.

Reactions: kshunter

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Good thing that the term "Assault Weapon" doesn't actually exist but was rather a buzzword invented by Gun Control Activists in a transparent attempt at making AR-15s sound more menacing and therefore lacks an actual universal definition. (Regardless of what Merriam Webster's arbitrary definition of the term may be.)

Thankfully, civilian grade versions of Military/LE firearms have been available forever and nobody would ever wittingly agree to banning them since many of the most popular firearms on the market were used by the Military at some point in the time, ergo even if folks adopt the Merriam Webster definition of an "Assault Weapon" nobody would agree to banning such weapons since they could easily ban EVERY weapon ever used by the US Military, including popular weapons which haven't been in service for over a century like the Colt Single Action Army or M1911.

So yeah, imbecilic left-leaning Judges from the usual list of anti-gun states can say whatever they like, but until they have an actual National law backing up their statements, it's all just more hot air from someone who's position of authority is completely irrelevant outside of their state, making their word on the matter as valid as any other ignoramus on the street who chooses to blame society's problems on inanimate objects. In fact, it's actually worse since a Judge ought to know better.

California, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, and the other usual suspects will obviously receive more restrictive laws placed on firearms, so I doubt that anybody didn't see this coming. This is about as much news as a weather report in Alaska calling for snow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts