Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Mrs and I have lived in our 2 story house for 27 years. We've raised a family here, had countless family gatherings and many memorable Christmases.

But as time has past, the wife has found the stairway a bit of a strain on her arthritic legs. She retired from teaching last May and we have been looking for a single story home in our area.

We stumbled across the perfect home, a builders show home........that is right next door to our son-in-laws mother, Rose. We get along great with her, she is a very private and independent lady. We talked with her about the possibility of buying the home next to hers. Her words were that we could live anywhere we choose, but her tone and body language indicated otherwise.

We decided to pass on the home because we didn't want a weird situation in the family. Last night Rose showed up at our door with 3 beers. She wanted to talk. My SIL had texted her that we passed on the house and why. We all agreed that the situation might be a bit weird at times but we liked each other and if we respected each others space it would work out.

This afternoon, the builder accepted our offer.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
Congratulations on the upcoming move and the joys and tribulations of making a new house a home.

They say that good fences make for great neighbors. However in your case I recommend taking some advise from our President and "Build that Wall", yes I jest....well in part anyway.

The true difficult part ahead of you will be packing up 27 years of belongings. Take your time and reminisce as you come across those lost and hidden photos and little treasures you come across in the process.

I would love to help you pack up and move, but I am already committed to another thing at that time.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,957 Posts
Congratulations on the upcoming move and the joys and tribulations of making a new house a home.

They say that good fences make for great neighbors. However in your case I recommend taking some advise from our President and "Build that Wall", yes I jest....well in part anyway.

The true difficult part ahead of you will be packing up 27 years of belongings. Take your time and reminisce as you come across those lost and hidden photos and little treasures you come across in the process.

I would love to help you pack up and move, but I am already committed to another thing at that time.

Let me say that my sentiments reflect jonrjen’s up to a point. When you get ready to pack and move the reloading room and the gun library give me a call.

:D

Reactions: Bruntson

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Luckily, I have a single story home of 40 years that fits us well....except for the seven 65 year old trees and a 25,000 gallon pool. I enjjoyed the pool this year as I left the cover on all summer. Time for me to yell timber and fill in the pool with gravel and soil.

I just hope I die before I have to move as I have every nook and cranny filled.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Good luck and happy living ! Me personally need to be 50-100 miles away from the closest relative and all the way out of W.Texas !!

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
That's really nice - congratulations. We've been in our house 26 years this December. We'll be here for a while longer -- both still working.

We've discussed moving - but no idea where we'll go. I've always had the urge to get a motorhome and head out ... "wanderlust" :xyxwave:

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's well wishes. We'll be moving in 3-4 months. There's lots to do like finishing out the basement to house my Hobby Room and a wood working shop complete with dust collection system, Installing good quality toilets and garbage disposal, Adding shower doors to the 2 walk in showers and probably a host of other upgrades that the builder just cheapened out on. Only then can the moving begin.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Congratulations, I hope the move goes smoothly.

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
Congrats on the move...demographically most of us are ranch "qualified" now.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Good luck and happy living ! Me personally need to be 50-100 miles away from the closest relative and all the way out of W.Texas !!
Living in the Permian Basin never was a goal of mine, and the Permian, other than extremely high employment and high wages, offers little more than a high cost of living....endless traffic and worn out streets and roads. Amazing how much difference 120 miles from Lubbock makes. If I were you, Llano, Junction and a few other Hill Country areas would be my Goal.

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
Living in the Permian Basin never was a goal of mine, and the Permian, other than extremely high employment and high wages, offers little more than a high cost of living....endless traffic and worn out streets and roads. Amazing how much difference 120 miles from Lubbock makes. If I were you, Llano, Junction and a few other Hill Country areas would be my Goal.

Every time I look at a location in TX and try to determine where it's located in relation to a city that I know...I have to zoom out three or four times to get that info. :D

It sounds wonderful for our relo, but too far from DFW. Waco and north is about as far as I could look.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
You got this right for sure !! I like the Junction area but i seriously doubt my wife would go there :( . Got a nephew in Llano but they never been too sociable . I was born in Corsicana Tx . That area wouldn’t be too bad . But got a couple more years before i get there . Last nights election we got a new mayor which i did not vote for and they pasted a $569million bond issue and that definitely means another $149.00/yr more taxes upon all the other taxes going up . Told my wife they are guaranteed to appraise our home at or over $200k this coming yr which means more taxes ! Just gotta move before taxes and insurance eat us alive !!

·
Super Moderator
17,716 Posts
That's going to be a problem....a normal person would have brought the whole six pack.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
Every time I look at a location in TX and try to determine where it's located in relation to a city that I know...I have to zoom out three or four times to get that info. :D

It sounds wonderful for our relo, but too far from DFW. Waco and north is about as far as I could look.
In your case, I would look at Sherman, TX, on the South Side of Lake Texhoma. Without looking it up, I think it is due north on Hwy 121. I would suggest Greenville, or Mckinny, but Mckinny has grown so much over the last ten years has made traffic going into McKinnyto DFW probably untenable. 30 years ago, maybe Stephenville, but again, traffic down 377 through Granbury is unteneable and 377 is known as a killer (in the bad sense) road, in fact it was known that way 30 years ago.

Burleson might be a good area, just South and a little West of Ft. Worth. I used too love some of the areas around Weatherford, Aledo, but they have really grown in the last 30 years. A good friend lives about 6 miles below Aledo, and a couple of miles north of Whiskey Flats, and it is an area I always liked. I just know you guys need to leave where you are at.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Never mind the neighbors. I have a brother that lives just 3 blocks away and we hardly see each other. We get together now and then but mostly leave each other alone.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The wife was raised on a farm and I lived in a number of cities with less than 3,000, that's not our cup of tea. We prefer the Midwest and especially Des Moines with a population of about 300,000 and a we love having 4 seasons including winter! An added plus is that our kids and grandkids live in the area, Iowa is a gun friendly state, and the hanger rent for my airplane is very reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
17,716 Posts

I once had a salesman that lived in New England call me and want to stop by. Said he had some calls to make in Dallas but would be free by 2:00PM could he come by after that? I was in Houston. I had to tell him he was a good four hours away. Oh...maybe next trip.

If you want to be close to DFW look at northeast Texas. More trees. We lived in Sulphur Springs for a bit and liked it. When the time comes we might end up there. Cute downtown. Big lakes nearby. Really nice Town Square and Courthouse. Famous for their glass bathrooms. We'd wait until somebody went in and then stand outside and point and laugh. We couldn't really see anything but it creeped people out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts