Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 425 4' Taurus in 41 Mag the other day. gun looked good seemed well taken care of. when I go to load it the round want to stick or grab in the cylinder. It is only in the first 1/4" or so but some of the chambers will even scratch the brass. Any one ever see this ,, can I hone the cylinder lightly or polish it maybe? any suggestions

·
Registered
160 Posts
I encountered the same problem with a model 85UL 38. Turned out the star extractor wasn't lining up perpectly with the chambers causing sharp edges on the extractor to dig into the cases. I dressed the star carefully with a round diamond hone.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
When I bought my 425 last summer I neglected one aspect of the inspection process. I did not pay close attention to the chambers themselves, all 5 had not been finish polished after reaming. Firing factory ammo and the cases had to be driven out individually .
I seldom fire factory fodder and my hand loads are usually at least as warm as factory so I knew it would be worse with mine. I have hones that could have done the job right here at home but it was new so it went back to Taurus and they made it good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both, it could well be either or both , It's not new so no sending it back ,, what kind and where can I get the honing stones I would need to correct this . BTW I can eject cases with out much trouble after firing both factory and handloads, so it may not be that bad. but I still dont like it

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I would try a 40/41 caliber cleaning brush with some copper pot scrubber strands wound into it. Make sure they are copper and not copper colored steel,(magnet), and use some solvent, your choice or penetrating oil, like "Kroil", and chuck it up in a cordless drill or screwdriver and clean each chamber thoroughly from both ends. Easier to do if you take the crane/cylinder assembly out of the frame. Clean well, and wipe all residue from all parts or spray with brake clean or some other and give it a try.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I had to polish out the chambers in a Ruger revolver a while back due to the same problems.

All I did was chuck a pistol cleaning rod with a slotted tip in a variable speed drill. I put enough patches through the slot to fit the chamber bore and folded them over the tip, then coated the patches in some Mother's Wheel Polish I had on hand. You will go through several patches as they turn brown and nasty. Plus, the cylinder will get warm from the friction, but the end result is you will see less machining marks in your cylinder's chambers and fired ammo extracts nicely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'll try one or both to fix this. I like this gun so far , seems like a good field woods gun. Shame Taurus didn't fix it right the first time,

·
Registered
160 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts