Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 3rd gen. millennium pro pt111 9mm Does anyone now if here is a drop in 1911 style thumb safety?
I am used to larger thumb safety.PT111 safety a little hard for me to engage and disengage.Too small .

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I would suggest practice, muscle memory is the key.

Reactions: Mrlucky353

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought about doing a mod but decided not to. Do not want to ruin thumb safety.And want to avoid legal problems if I need to use in self defense situation.
A larger drop-in would have been perfect.Just have to go with ozzy's suggestion.Man I wish there were more accessories and add on's for this great gun!

·
Registered
266 Posts
On these sub compacts with trigger safety, I actually use the manual safety mainly for holstering and general handling. Once it goes into the holster, I click off the manual safety. A lot of accidental discharge with Glock type pistols occur when holstering.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On these sub compacts with trigger safety, I actually use the manual safety mainly for holstering and general handling. Once it goes into the holster, I click off the manual safety. A lot of accidental discharge with Glock type pistols occur when holstering.
That's a great idea Volfy. I only use the manual safety on SA pistols due to holstering concerns with the light trigger pull. Once in the holster the trigger is protected.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Like Volfy I carry mine the same way. Safety off when holstered. Safety on when pocket carrying.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Highly doubt a dropin safety exists for it. I would suggest practicing drawing and disengaging the safety until it becomes a natural part of your draw. Muscle memory will take care of it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Highly doubt a dropin safety exists for it. I would suggest practicing drawing and disengaging the safety until it becomes a natural part of your draw. Muscle memory will take care of it.
I agree training I to muscle memory is critical, however the firearm is carried. For us southpaws though, the one-sided manual safety is NOT a thumb safety, as the draw and thumb sweep routine hits on the other side. I still thumb sweep regardless of which pistol I carry, because I don't want to have to remember whether it has a thumb safety or not.

On the other hand (pun intended), the one-sided manual safety can be thought of as an advantage for lefthanders, as the lever is on the exposed side when carried on the left hip. This means we can click the lever easily with the pistol still in holster... even a tight and deeply recessed IWB holster. I can discretely check position of the safety through the shirt I'm wearing, just to make sure it's off and ready to fire upon drawing.

All said and done, it's just a tool. Decide on how it best suit your carry method, and practice till it's muscle memory.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for every one's input. Think after holstering disengaging safety is going to be more comfortable for me.

·
Registered
29,949 Posts
The Taurus frame mounted safety was designed as John Moses Browning intended it to be; that is ergonomically to coincide with the way the human hand works. As you close your grip the thumb naturally comes "down" to disengage the thumb safety. I strongly suggest you practice, practice, practice to the point that disengaging the thumb safety upon "drawing" becomes "natural".

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Does anyone know it there is a safe way to permanently disable the safety - ala Glock style - on a PT111 G2?
You just leave it off, the click of the safety in either position should be sturdy enough to not simply wipe on or off just being holstered. Hopefully you don't take this the wrong way, but if you want it to be a like a Glock then you should have bought a Glock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts