Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started throwing recently with some work buddies, Was wondering if anyone else Throws also, And if so what ya got?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I throw hawks and knives although not so good with the knives. I have a little bit of trouble with distance and rotation. We got started doing this in the SCA. You should try shooting a traditional long bow instinctive shooting is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I used to throw knives and stars but not for at least ten years. The last few times I tried I discovered I was no longer any good at it.

Sarge

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I never was any good at it. But I still throw rocks at stray cats, that count?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yeah, I throw, although I'm a bit rusty. Better with knives than hawks. Made my own throwing knives, although I have bought dozens of different commercial ones; none of which I really like.

·
5,686 Posts
I've never thrown them, but was once asked by a very talented and handsome man, to stand against the wall he was throwing them at. Having known him for years and knowing his many talents, I did it. Wouldn't have done it had I not known what a professional he was. Not only could he throw knives and hatchets, but he was highly proficient in the bull whip as well. Stood on the end of that once too, but that's a different story for a different crowd!! ;)

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
The only thing I've thrown recently is 7.25" circular saw blades into tree trunks. They don't fly too straight past 5 yards. :D

·
Administrator
35,295 Posts
I've never thrown them, but was once asked by a very talented and handsome man, to stand against the wall he was throwing them at. Having known him for years and knowing his many talents, I did it. Wouldn't have done it had I not known what a professional he was. Not only could he throw knives and hatchets, but he was highly proficient in the bull whip as well. Stood on the end of that once too, but that's a different story for a different crowd!! ;)
WOW ! I'd better not touch that one, but feel free to PM me if you wish. ;) :D

I've been meaning to buy a tomahawk for 2 or 3 years. One could come in handy in your trunk or having around the house. I've been wanting a SOG that costs about $100 or so, and they make some very nice Vietnam toms too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm Actually looking into getting a long bow, just don't know which one to start off with they look fun-Stickbow
Yea I just started throwing tomahawks about a month ago, its defiantly a skill you build up to-Sarge
Yes that for sure counts lol-gbusmech
I'm actually looking into starting to make throwing knives by starting off with knife blanks, and doing the sharpening and handle work, my buddies dad does it, might be teaching me-Gulch
lol great story!-Misskitty
Hah never thought to throw circular saw blades might give it a shot for giggles one day :p-chicharrones
My best bud actually just bought a sog large style field hawk from the bass pro, I threw it yesterday, their pretty handy and fun, and can split some fire pretty well, and it was only $60, I got mine from a company called crazy crow it was $40 bucks bought i also bought some extra hickory handles so i can play some handles with my buddies, but it will split fire wood, and for sure throw good.-texastaurusguy

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm Actually looking into getting a long bow, just don't know which one to start off with they look fun-Stickbow
Yea I just started throwing tomahawks about a month ago, its defiantly a skill you build up to-Sarge
Yes that for sure counts lol-gbusmech
I'm actually looking into starting to make throwing knives by starting off with knife blanks, and doing the sharpening and handle work, my buddies dad does it, might be teaching me-Gulch
lol great story!-Misskitty

Hah never thought to throw circular saw blades might give it a shot for giggles one day :p-chicharrones
My best bud actually just bought a sog large style field hawk from the bass pro, I threw it yesterday, their pretty handy and fun, and can split some fire pretty well, and it was only $60, I got mine from a company called crazy crow it was $40 bucks bought i also bought some extra hickory handles so i can play some handles with my buddies, but it will split fire wood, and for sure throw good.-texastaurusguy
Go to Primitives-Primitive Bows & Kits-3Rivers Archery Equipment, Traditional Youth Archery Bows and Arrows, and Long Bow Hunting start with a little higher poundage bow. The release is cleaner and easier to shoot. The arrow spine is very important.
One thing to remember if you have more than one hawk. You may split the handle on your first throw with your second throw.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I love primitive skills. When you get frustrated and you will. Stop aiming the arrow and look at the target. Your dealing with archers paradox and its deceptive to your eyes. Any monkey can shoot a compound bow he he he he it takes real skills to shoot a real long bow. The same skills that you develop throwing are the same that you will use with the long bow. It will take you 200-300 ends to get it down. An end is six arrows. You will go though several sets of arrows.
Good luck and keep in touch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love primitive skills. When you get frustrated and you will. Stop aiming the arrow and look at the target. Your dealing with archers paradox and its deceptive to your eyes. Any monkey can shoot a compound bow he he he he it takes real skills to shoot a real long bow. The same skills that you develop throwing are the same that you will use with the long bow. It will take you 200-300 ends to get it down. An end is six arrows. You will go though several sets of arrows.
Good luck and keep in touch.
Thank you so much! ill keep in touch!

·
Registered
619 Posts
If your going to throw hawks, be sure to have a couple extra handles. These are available online.
And please, these are great for targets, but in a real fight, don't throw your hawk or knife away,, the other guy may throw it back at you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If your going to throw hawks, be sure to have a couple extra handles. These are available online.
And please, these are great for targets, but in a real fight, don't throw your hawk or knife away,, the other guy may throw it back at you.
Oh Yea,I would never give up my defense in a fight if I had a hawk or a knife, just a fun hobby to throw them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts