Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I'm not the only one that still keeps an old POS throw away around!

I'd like to know what you have and why you keep it?

Mine is a Jennings Model 25, obviously in .25 caliber.

I have removed the firing pin to keep my family safe! I keep it to use new and different things I learn about refinishing on.

0ebb9232.jpg

55958f55.jpg

Cerakote midnight blue frame, satin aluminum frame & trigger. Stippled factory grips.

IMO, and in regards to this weapon, I feel they are called "throw away" because you'd have better results throwing them at an attacker than shooting at them!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I have a little Jennings that for some reason I never fired. I have a Beretta Neos, so perhaps that is the reason...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm legally in possession of a few things for which there is no legal record that I'm in possession of. That is why I still possess them, and also why I don't keep them with the rest of my things. And yes, my hat is made of heavy duty aluminum foil.

·
Banned
893 Posts
I had a Jennings .22 and gave it to my ex, it was a excellent little thing, I carried it for a few years before I gave it to her. I could drop it on concrete and wouldn't even care like I would my colt or taurus 1911's

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
The term "Trow Down" refers back to the "old" days of questionable police law enforcement. Some dirty cops would carry a "throw down" (unregistered, or previously stolen gun) in case they needed to plant a weapon on someone in order to justify why they arrested or shot them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have one of those Jennings J-22 pistols. It is nice to stick in my pocket when I go to the store. Not a bad little gun.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Not what I was told is a "Throw Away" or "Throw Down" gun. This is almost humorous though.

Sounds like a cheesy line from one of those faux pirate movies, like The Princess Bride.

"You killed my father. I see your cheap ugly gun and I throw down my own gold plated Jennings in repudiation."

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
The origin was to have a weapon on you that was easy to carry, but not noticeable. Usually a cheap revolver, the Belgians made them by the tens of thousands, or, later, a simple semi-automatic. Again, Europe exported them by the tens of thousands. If you shot someone during the course of your actions, you left the "throw down" gun next to them. They were dead, and yours was the only story for the police to hear. After 1968, you had a dwindling pool of Euro weapons to choose from, so you went to something stolen of American manufacture.

As poorer areas of the country bought the little semi-autos i bulk, they were stolen in bulk, and used in such criminal activity.

For "throwing the gun at them" adherents, you guys must be terrible shots. I doubt that, at the distances employed, if your throwing arms would be any more accurate than your shooting capabilities.

Not to put too fine a point upon it, but NOBODY wants to be shot, even by a BB gun. The lowly .22 long rifle, .25 ACP, and other mini, or older, calibers were once regarded as quite sufficient for self-defense through actions, not words. We live in an age of improved medicine, that can repair the results of trauma. That doesn't mean, however, that the trauma won't hurt enough to stop you from just ignoring it.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
This must all be urban myth stuff. A throw away, or throw down, gun is one that CAN NOT be traced back to you. And while some dirty cops were known to carry them, it was the mobster and criminal side that made them popular as drugs began to rise in demand. For a long time the popular myth was the throw away was a gun with the serial numbers removed, but that is really not the case. It is illegal to own a gun with the serial numbers scratched out and you will be arrested and the gun confiscated if caught with one. The more prudent owner will not remove the serial numbers, but simply make sure that it can not be traced back to him. It is best if the gun has been stolen once, or twice in its history, just to make sure. The other thing you want to do is to wipe your ammunition clean of any fingerprints and load the mags or cylinder with gloves on.

A good friend of mine once told me his favorite "throw down" was a revolver because you could leave the crime scene with all the evidence and dump it elsewhere. Now the Judge could take that even a step further, in that if you load it up with rock salt, it will still make one big hole at 3 feet, but the projectiles will dissolve in the body. That leaves no way for forensics to trace the projectile back to the weapon that fired it. They can only speculate.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
"This must all be urban myth stuff"

What, exactly, is that supposed to mean, sir?

Throw-down guns were popular amongst criminals as far back as the 1930s. Same with Police. Back then, many guns didn't come with "serial numbers", especially the foreign ones.

Too many of us forget that not everything was as regimented fifty or more years ago, as they are today. Forensics wasn't as much a science as an art back then, as well.

As far as the rock-salt Judge. If it was a lethal hit, there would be pieces of rock salt left in the wound track that wouldn't be dissolved. The lack of circulation, the position of the body, and other factors would easily leave enough residue that forensic pathologists would be able to identify the nature of the wounding.

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
You guys keep talking and the you'll take all the headlines away from Fast and Furious. Don't give away all the secrets :)

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Oh, rock salt would be easy enough to find, it just could not be traced back to the weapon.

LOL, you just confirmed what I said.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Like Sasquatch & Nessie, Hollyweird and Hype, now and back then.

The BS keeps being perpetuated because it sounds believable.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
What, exactly, is the BS here? While not every person on the street has, or had, a "throw-down", they actually existed, and it's been documented for almost a century. Case law will reveal it.

If Greenwolf was looking for ways to make a lethal wound untraceable, it would be much simpler to use a 3" shells with No. 7 shot. The wound would be deeper than rock salt, and there's no way that the tiny shot could pick up enough marking to be identifiable to any particular weapon. Don't overthink it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I still like the idea of using rock salt. It preserves the body better.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I wonder if it works on Zombies too?

Reactions: Keith4001r

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Rock Salt can be mighty uncomfortable believe me, not from my personal experience, but I had a girl I was dating catch a chunk of it right in the lower area of a very tender part of her anatomy while we were stealing water melons one time. I thought she was dying the way she carried on.

Back to the topic I always under stood a throw down was one that could not be traced back to you. Now with todays DNA testing you would want to clean it thourghly and place it in a plastic bag to prevent the police from finding any DNA on it. They don't need finger prints anymore!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts