Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a revolver for concealed carry, and am looking at the Taurus 650 which is in 357 Mag. If I shoot this revolver along the lines of 95% 38 SPL or 38+P, and 5% 357 Mag do I have to worry about throat erosion? If so, I will probably buy the 850 model.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't really had my 650 long enough to be of much help, BFWIW. I've put about 150 rounds of 38 SPL and 50 357 MAG through it and have not noticed any problems, when cleaning it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've never heard of it being an issue. I've got a 650 that will probably have a higher percentage of magnum rounds than that put through it. I practice with mostly 38's but am planning on carrying it with medium velocity 357 loads for reduced recoil (but still more effectiveness than 38 +P).
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3169.0

Steelheart

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Ok, I can see where the ? came from. Reviewing the manual for my JUDGE, I came accross this statement in the general manual.

NOTICE:
.357 Magnum cartridges with bullet weights of less than 125 grains
have resulted in cylinder face erosion and should not be utilized in your Total Titanium Revolver

:) :p ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Robby said:
Ok, I can see where the ? came from. Reviewing the manual for my JUDGE, I came accross this statement in the general manual.

NOTICE:
.357 Magnum cartridges with bullet weights of less than 125 grains
have resulted in cylinder face erosion and should not be utilized in your Total Titanium Revolver

:) :p ;)
Yeah, even the S&W Ti cylinder revolvers have that warning printed right on the barrel. It turns out that with less that 125gr bullets there is unburned powder left over from the cartridge that will land on the cylinder face and cause the Ti to eat away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts