Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
32,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285287

Thought you folks might like to see a little positive feedback from another forum.

There are several good threads over at TFL that are about Taurus or Taurus related.

By the way The High Road forum is off the air indefinetely. There's either hacker troubles or other troubles.

Here's the message:
Outage Explained
The board was slowing down because it hadn't been optimized since it was moved, which is understandable.

Optimizing the database is a fairly simple operation, but it makes sense to bring the board down while it's running, so I did so, along with an optimistic title like "10 Minute Maintenance." Maybe I saw a 10 Minute Abs commercial recently.

Anyway, it turns out it's more complex than that. The most common hack of web applications is to upload something to the /tmp folder then execute it, so we had the /tmp folder set so nothing could be executed there. The problem was that the size of the /tmp folder was 2 gigs, and the optimization routine wanted more than that so it quit. It also marked the database as corrupt so vB broke.

I'm getting it fixed now. It's been a multi-step process, and it's kind of slow, but that's where we are. Eventually you'll see the following:

1. This page will go away and you'll see the normal THR maintenance page.

2. That page will stay up for 10 minutes or so while I actually optimize the database -- the goal of this whole process.

3. THR will come back up, and I'll make a post as to what's happened.

-- Derek

In the last few hours I've tried to get on and this letter is all that they have.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Almost as good a review as what you would find here!! Things are looking up. By the way...good to see that you and Taurus 9mm kicked in with positive feedback. Thanks for keeping them honest on the other forums.

·
32,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad to do it.
There are quite a few owners at several other Taurus threads over TFL that are from here. So,bully for them joining in.

There are those who are TFL, but not from here (they should be...don't know what they're missing :) ) who were instrumental in joining in and setting things straight. Tip of the hat to them, too.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I thought the exchanges on TFL about needing to send a Taurus back to Brazil for repair were pretty humorous. That's a new one. :eek:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Nice thread, had given up on THR and TFL as able to come down off their high horse and say anything good about Taurus.
+1 ...stephpd :)
I have not been on there for awile because of the same thing, got tired of the negativity ... :rolleyes:

Wow..Qwiks....I think that might be one of the best threads in awile on there..lol
Thanks for letting us in on that..Maybe i will venture back someday... :devil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts