Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I am thinking, either of trading or buying out right, the Beretta 92s(?). It is a 9mm for your information. I would like to take up shooting the 9mm round to see what and how it does. But I do not want a micro-anything, I have a Taurus 738 380 acp and it is quite snappy and no range gun at all.

Do any of your own one?

Is it worth $599 new?

How is the Baretta warranty?

I would think about trading a Smith Model 360PD Scandium / Titanium 357 for it. May have "to give some boot."

I would like any helpful and considerate feedback if at all possible.

My thoughts! :D

Yours?

rd ;D

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The Beretta Model 92 is a bit large for a 9mm platform. I, personally, do not like the safety location, or function. Other than that, it is a sold performer. I think that the PT-92 is a more ergonomic lay-out, especially the safety. The PT-92 is also hell for stout, and is usually a bit less expensive.

·
Registered
24,595 Posts
You can't beat the Model 92 for a large frame hand gun but 599 is a bit pricey.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I have a beretta 92 and a taurus PT92. The beretta is a fine gun and I love it. However, I wouldn't pay $599 for it. You should be able to find a good used one at a gun show. I bought a taurus for $320 brand new during Black Friday at academy. It's an equally fine gun.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Plus a good number of Beretta parts fit the Taurus just fine.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
If you're looking to try a Beretta 92, you can usually find police trade-ins for about half of that $599. Or, you can find a brand new Taurus 92 for about the same price, $300-350.

I too am a fan of the ergos on the Taurus over the Beretta, and have had lots of experience shooting both. I do wish Hogue made finger groove grips for the Taurus like they have for the Beretta, as those were incredibly comfortable.

I think every collection needs at least one, just because it's a unique design externally and internally. And with 18-rounds possible with the flush Mec Gar mags, you're good to go on capacity.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the Berretta 92 and love it. Berretta's are bit pricey but if you like it. I dropped about the same on mine. I have found it to be flawless with never an FTF. I never carry it as it is heavy. If you are considering carrying you might think about something with a polymer frame. M&P9 or Sig 2022. They're just a bit lighter. But as far as the Berretta goes for home defense or the range, I LOVE it. Fun to shoot, lots of accessories, parts, cheap ammo, cheap and easy to find mags, and very durable. If there is a negative, mine consistently shoots low to me. I always have to cover my target with the sights. Not a big deal but you wanted honest opinions.

·
Registered
12,088 Posts
The 92 is a GREAT gun, I am most accurate with mine. Easy to achieve tight groupings, minimal kick.

It is a full sized 9mm, probably too big for every day CCW.

BTW, I don't think that that price is that high for the Beretta....

·
Registered
36,283 Posts
The Beretta 92 is an excellent weapon to get into full sized range type shooting.
they have been around plenty long enough to be proven product.
that price seems about right for a new Beretta 92 to me, at least in these parts.
One thing about It is that IF down the road and you decide to trade it for a different weapon or sale it you will get most your money back on it and not have a lot of problems trying to get rid of it.
What dealings that I have had with Beretta service has been outstanding.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
The last Beretta 92 I had sold for $850.
I bought two stainless Taurus 92's and still had almost $100 left :eek:

Reactions: treg

·
Registered
206 Posts
Beretta has an excellent reputation Price seems inline as I have seen the 92 for sale NIB anywhere from $500 up to over $700 depending on finish. I just have a soft spot for my good ole 1990 Taurus PT92AF, feels good in hand, weight is well balanced, accurate and low recoil. I think Beretta warranty is 1 year on the 92 and perhaps all their offerings. Good luck either way you will be getting a terrific firearm to add to your collection.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I am thinking, either of trading or buying out right, the Beretta 92
Do any of your own one?

How is the Baretta warranty?
I owned one for several years. I bought a factory refurbished one for about $415 and sold it a few years later with two extra mags for $450.00. This was maybe 2011?

My particular Beretta was a great and easy to shoot 9mm pistol. Beretta's warranty is short, but I never needed to use it. Plus, if you like working on your own guns, you can get just about any Beretta part shipped to your home.

As mentioned, I did sell it though. That was due to the Beretta being hog ass big in my hands and I never warmed up to the slide mounted safety. I used the proceeds towards a CZ75D PCR.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I have both a Beretta 92 with adjustable sights in stainless steel and a Taurus PT99AF. The only difference to me is the safety placement and trigger guard, otherwise they are equal to me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a Beretta 96FS I paid $550'ish for almost 20 years ago. It's had many thousands of rounds ran through it and still looks and feels brand new. When I first got it, it was just a normal sized gun, but now they feel HUGE. They are such large guns that felt recoil is low.

It's a quality gun and if you want one, you can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
The Beretta 90-series pistols are excellent. My only gripe is with the slide mounted safety. It was just awkward for me to use, and I sold the two I owned. Fast forward a couple years, and I miss the pistol. I took a chance on a lightly used PT92 with it's frame mounted safety, and I am happy.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Good gun but 600 is too much. Check Buds. They recently had a bunch of really good used ones for around 300 bucks. If you go new get the Taurus. I have both, but I think Taurus makes the better gun.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Definitely get the Taurus version. I'm thinking the Beretta 92 will lose some resale value after losing the military contract.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I guess I'm sort of in the minority here, because the slide mounted safety doesn't bother me a bit. Like others though, the 92FS is a solid firearm and very accurate in my hands. I bought mine new about a couple of years ago for $500 plus tax. I liked it so well that I acquired a Beretta 96A1 in .40 S&W just to keep it company. Either way you go either Taurus or Berreta, I think you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Thoughts on the Beretta 92!

Overpriced

Over rated

Dyslexic safety ruins an otherwise a great design

Get a Taurus, loose the baggage and you'll be much happier!

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
I had a PT92, and a cousin in law a Beretta 92. I fired both extensively. In my opinion they are equal, so pick the one that suits you and your wallet best.

I traded mine off, it just didn't fit me well. I traded it on a stainless Springfield 1911 in 9mm, a format that I hate in some respects, yet I shoot better than any other auto. Granted that's a much more expensive gun than the 92's.

Several years ago I was were you are. I figured I'd like to try a 9mm as ammo was so cheap and brass was everywhere. Academy put the taurus PT609 on sale for $289 so I got one of those as an entry to 9mm. I still have it. I like the 9mm, but I see no reason to have more than two. I have my casual shooter in the PT609, and the target grade gun in the Springfield.

You might consider getting something on the lower end to try out the 9mm. The PT609 shoots very well for a compact gun and I find it a lot of fun. It's not an unpleasant gun to shoot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts